Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Third Truck For Mount Vernon

15 posts in this topic

Just another reason why F.D.M.V. should have a third truck in service A.S.A.P. For as much as m.v. gets mutual aid sometimes they have to give it. Like today, they sent an engine and a truck to New Rochelle. This leaves them with only one truck in the city. Not good for the guys left working there. Not to mention the public. If given the choice why would'ent you try to get that third truck back in service. If the bosses need it to go to a job they'll call it . It'll get there quicker than a mutual aid truck. (when seconds count, intown is quicker)

Well said Big AL. Hopefully, someday, someone in that City is going to Wake Up and see the need to bring back that Truck before it's too late! Here's an idea. Maybe if the Departments that constantly respond on Mutual Aid to the VERN, without any hesitation, STOP providing this Assistance, they would be forced to find some way to reinstate this 3'rd Truck. It amazes me how some of these Departments can't find away to properly staff their Apparatus on any given Day, but when the call goes out for Mutual Aid to the VERN, these same Departments respond out of town with three to four men on a rig! I guess they feel it's only necessary to comply with NFPA 1710 when Mutual Aid is requested for a neighboring Department, providing adequate fire protection for the citizens of that particular municipality, but not their own residents the remainder of the Year! The only Department that has took a stand and has shown some Balls with regards to this issue is Yonkers FD! But then again that's expected. :lol:<_<

Blame it all on city hall. They are taking advantage of another municipalities fire dept. Why increase your budget for a fire dept. when you can depend on another city when you get a working fire. Shame on the citizens and the union for letting this happen.

Well Put Capt415, I could'nt agree with you more! It will make things safer for the F.F.'s and the Public. The only person who won't want it back in service is the Mayor. God only knows what he's thinking.

Well Put Capt415, I could'nt agree with you more!  It will make things safer for the F.F.'s and the Public.  The only person who won't want it back in service is the Mayor.  God only knows what he's thinking.

mayor ernie& his fire commisioner says they aint got no money iguess thats why they have wasted over 2million dollars on the new circle a hip hop musuem thats just a hole in the ground and other wasteful thing i wonder what has happened to the tax money from all the new business in town

It's funny how so many on this topic just want to throw blame around, yet no one wants to discuss possible solutions? Why is this thread even here, we've talked about this issue 100 times and it's always the same old stuff posted. And it seems most posting on this thread are from YFD, why is that? Stop blaming, and start doing!!!

Edited by F009JOH

Well seeing as how you have no clue where everyone is from, why don't you provide some ideas.

Well seeing as how you have no clue where everyone is from, why don't you provide some ideas.

Where do you think this discussion is getting us? Its pointless we all know whats going on!!!!!

All points made are well and good.

Here's the bottom line.

WELCOME TO REALITY!!!!!!!!

Wake up, smell the stank coffee and dealt with it.

In this day and age we have no choice but to adapt to our surroundings and overcome the obstacles that are set forth with the limited resources we have.

There was a time that Mt. Vernon had exceptional fire protection. Yes it was some time ago. 6 engine company's 3 ladders and each had 2 career FF's and an untold number of volunteers to respond plus a fully manned rescue with usually 3 or 4 career FF's and an officer plus an officer at the ENg 3 & 4 house, a deputy with an aid. At any working fire you would usually get 20 or more volly's plus depending on how many rig's a full group of career FF's. Very rare was the call ever put in for M/A. The Mayor and others pushed out the volunteers and never really added many more positions on the career side to compensate. With officers you had about 120 or so career guys total. YOu guys who now work there, how many in the department? How many are officers? I don't think the numbers are much different.

Are the PD numbers the same as 10 or 20 years ago? Remember there was no real Auxillary PD then and I don't thnik there is any now.

Where do you think this discussion is getting us? Its pointless we all know whats going on!!!!!

If it's pointless then there's no reason for you to even comment on this topic. I don't think the Career guys in FDMV think it's a frivolous topic, especially when many of them are the ones bringing it to light and discussing it on the forum, not the YFD members as you mistakingly think. They dropped their replies soon after they stopped responding into FDMV on Mutual Aid, which, as was previously stated on the forum, may be a solution to their abuse of the M.A. Policy, and a reason to supplement their manpower and equipment. However, it takes all the surrounding Departments, Career and Combination to take a Stand and make it Work! If the Top Brass of these adjacent Departments doesn't want to make this decision than maybe the Unions should! Then again, that would require some so called Union members to turn down their Dept's. Call BACK O.T., which is another issue in itself. As long as guys continue to run back to work for the almighty Dollar, so they can provide Fire Protection for the City of MT.Vernon at another taxpayers expense, FDMV will continue to face this everlasting saga, and constantly rely on Mutual Aid. It's unfortunate, but then again that's what ERNIE wants.

TPWS...funny, you joined today and its your first post. So wait......I seem to be lost. Is this discussion about a third truck for Mount Vernon, for the safety of its firefighters and residents, or is it about union politics and agendas and city goverment????????????????????????

even though I realize it would take bold moves to get this situation resloved, I think its pretty messed up that you would even imply not responding MA to make a politcal point......even if MA is abused....you are jepordizing lives by doing that. That shows me where your true priorities are......there are other ways to go about this....your games are not one of them.

I think this is an issue that doesnt need discussing here again due to the mentaltity some are trying to push on us

Edited by F009JOH

F009JOH,

As they say......"you have drank the Kool-Aid"....welcome to the world of firefighters who work for a LIVING!!!

Go work for free where there are no paid FFs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

THE 3RD TRUCK-I WORKED THERE WHEN THE 3RD TRUCK WAS IN SERVICE-YOU HAD A WORKING FIRE AND THE 3RD TRUCK SAT IN QUARTERS THIS WAY A BEEF WOULDN'T BE MADE ABOUT MUTUAL AID BEING BROUGHT INTO COVER.WHEN THE 3RD TRUCK DID MAKE IT TO THE FIRE SCENE IT WAS USUALLY BECAUSE DOO DOO HIT THE FAN AND THINGS WERE OUT OF CONTROL.EVEN WITH THE 3RD TRUCK IN SERVICE WHAT DID YOU HAVE AT THE FIRE PRIOR TO THE 3RD TRUCK,BASIC MATH HERE 5 ENGS= 10 MEN,2TRKS=6MEN,1RES=1MAN THEN 4OFFICERS + THE IC CHIEF,IF THERE WAS 4 MEN ON A TRK CO AND 4 ON AN ENG CO I CAN SEE THE 3RD TRK,WHEN THERE IS A FIRE OTHER THAN 1 ROOM GOING THE WHOLE SHIFT NEEDS TO BE THERE!!!DID YOU EVER PISS INTO THE WIND?

Hudson, thats the point of getting the third truck back for MV. When the "doo doo" hits the fan it 's there and its not coming from out of town. Which would take longer. Lets not forget the public. When the third truck went out both the public and thr FF's lost a level of protection. I remember plenty of times the third truck was at a fire scene in mv. It would be great to have it there to respond if needed.