Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES20CUE

New RESCUE 20 for Somers

24 posts in this topic

On 4/13/04, at the Somers Fire District meeting, the vote was passed to accept bids for our new Heavy Rescue Truck. Bids are due back in June.

It's been a long time in coming, the committee worked about 2 years on this rig! =D>

What design are they looking at...... custom cab? walk thru body, walk around body? This is exciting news.

Just to refresh me how old is your current rescue?

Isn't the current rescue unit Engine 183..... which is a 1996 or 1997 Freightliner Pierce rescue pumper?

Isn't the current rescue unit Engine 183..... which is a 1996 or 1997 Freightliner Pierce rescue pumper?

yes

Question is:

Is it going to be a new , used or Rebuilt?

Is it going to be a walkin box or a walk around box?

Is it going to have a light tower, O2, Cascade system on it?

The Big QUESTION is, will it be over weight?

Remember BIGER ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER.

unless your talking about a Tower Ladder.

OK, OK-

This info was posted in another forum previously, but here it is again:

- Spec is for a Spartan Gladiator Classic 6-man chassis -or- equivalent.

- Box is a 18'9" Walk Around with rear walk-up stairs to upper storage compartments.

- It will be new!

- It will have a 15' 9000 watt Light Tower, with 7 other 1000watt quartz lights around the vehicle including the front. Powered by a 35kW Onan PTO generator.

- It will have 1 Oxygen "K" Tank for MCI/ Disaster use, just like our old Rescue.

- NO Cascade! We are surrounded by them!

- It will not be overweight, as I said we worked hard for over 2 years to make this right!

The old Rescue 20 was a 1947 WLF Heavy Rescue, 1 of only 3 ever built. It is currently in the American Museum of Firefighting in Hudson. (I personally delivered it with Ex-Chief Bernal in Feb 2001).

She was in front line service until 1987, replaced by QA-1, and retired in 2001. Our current Rescue is Engine 183, a 1996 Freightliner/ Pierce rescue pumper, which was only suppose to be temporary. Engine 183 will be sold upon receipt of the new R-20!

Other than chassis, it is nothing like Darien's. Darien's is walk in, and has no upper storage.

What about Tower Ladder 18, are you guy going to be looking to replace it also? If so what would you replace it with?

What are you going to do with Eng. 183?

Was 2 years a long enough of time to work on the Recsue? Did ou have help or talk to other Dept. or use a Apparatus Architect?

What about LADDER 18?? No it's not being replaced anytime soon, maybe another 10 years or more. We are talking about replacing an Engine with a new 75' straight stick Quint and have 2 ladders.

I think 2 years is more than enough time, I know the work I put into it!!!

E-183 will be gone, at this point, it might go as a trade in, an the company who gets the bid will sell it, or we may sell it ourselves, it's to early to tell. But it will be going.

We did not use an apparatus architect, and yes we spoke with numerous other departments and apparatus vendors. Every apparatus committee should seek as much info as possible, when "specing" a vehicle.

Sorry I though your ladder 18 was a tower ladder.

Is It a 100' Sutphen with a platforms?

Yes,

LADDER 18 is a Sutphen 95' Aerial Tower. It's a long story, and nothing to be sorry about.

As far as most of us are concerned it will always be LADDER 18.

So It is a Tower Ladder. or better yet a Aerial Platform

Note: The safety ladder that is mounted on the top side of the tower does not make it a aerial Ladder.

No Kidding!

That's why tele-squirts and aerialscopes are not "climbing ladders" they are for emergency escape only.

Somers ladder as well as all sutphens's are not escape ladders, they are aerial platforms.

A REMINDER TO ALL.

THIS TOPIC IS SUPPOST TO BE ABOUT A NEW RESCUE 20 FOR SOMERS. LET'S TRY TO KEEP IT THAT WAY.

THE LADDER VS. TOWER LADDER DISCUSSION IS POSTED ELSEWHERE. THANK YOU.

Any Pre-Connected front bumper extrication tools or just a normal set up off one of the sides of the truck.

Also, I assuming that Rescue 20 will be assigned to Lincolndale fire house, since 183 which is the rescue-engine is currently assigned their and is being replaced with this new rescue

Thanks John!

The Rescue 20, will be assigned to Lincolndale. Yes, there will be front bumper tools. The plan is this-

Front Bumper- Curtis-Wright Powerhawk System

Rear Compt (Stairs open up)- Hydraulic System, possibly a Centaur (old Lukas) or Amkus.

Nice... That’s what the 1st set of Power-Hawk extrication tools in the county that I know of.

Defiantly sounds like you guys put a real good hard effort into this truck...I cant wait to see it when it finally comes to Somers.

Your right John.

Good luck with your new rescue Somers and I hope work well for your FD.

Keep us posted on when the WETDOWN will be. You guys still have WETDOWNS in Somers I hope. Not like other Dept posting them as Training.

Again Good luck and keep it real. =D>

Your right John.

Keep us posted on when the WETDOWN will be. You guys still have WETDOWNS in Somers I hope. Not like other Dept posting them as Training. 

There hasn't been a true "wet"down in Somers for quite some time. The closest was for the tanker last year when we set up the portable pond to demonstrate its dump time. So what people went for a "swim" afterwards.

Even though we don't initiate the water warfare, we usually have defensive measures set up "just in case". :-P

The next wet down will likely be for both the rescue and pumper.

The rescue truck bid was awarded last night to Rescue 1.

As previously stated, it will be a walk-around box on a Spartan chassis. It will feature a walk up staircase built into the rear compartment to access the roof compartments.

Cool, They went for it.

Its strange that in my own fire house I find out about it here first.

Any links to look alike pictures or manufacturers web sites?

:D

Its strange that in my own fire house I find out about it here first.

You didn't actually expect a call at midnight when it was finally decided, did you?