Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Somers - 10-75 - 02-04-06

17 posts in this topic

I heard Chief Byrnes (IC/2441) request all crews to evacuate the structure due to a partial collapse. I also heard him requesting additional EMS units for injured firefighter's. Does anyone know the extent of injuries to the FF's and their condition?

Further info:

-2 story wood frame residential structure with heavy fire showing on the #1 floor upon Car 2441's arrival.

Somers - E180, E181, E185, E188, L18, R20, 80B2, 80B3

Yorktown - E270 (FAST assignment), E273 (water supply)

Croton Falls - E148 (originally s/b Engine, called into scene)

Goldens Bridge - I Engine on s/b at Somers HQ (Lincolndale FH)

Mohegan - 1 Engine on s/b at Yorktown FD HQ

WCDES - C&O Zone-4, unit 1404 & Battalion-13

Yorktown Water Dept.

New York State Police

Katonah-Bedford Hills VAC

Yorktown VAC

If anyone has any information at all on the injured firefighters, please let me know ASAP

If anyone has any information at all on the injured firefighters, please let me know ASAP

One firefighter was transported for a knee injury, and other than that, nothing serious, but all that were treated are doing great :)

2 FF injuries- 1 leg injury, occurred while trying to evacuate from roof collapse, 1 chest injury occurred when hydrant blew out of the ground! FF w/leg injury was transported to NWHC, where he was treated and released, FF w/ chest injury was treated at scene and released.

Water supply lost within first 15-20 minutes of operation (already had 4 hand lines in operation) Hydrant blew right of the ground, causing major flooding (YHFD had to pump out basement of residence where hydrant was located. Reports indicating that hydrant was struck by a car 2 weeks ago-- investigation continuing!!

2 hydrant was 1800' away, and needed addittional units to complete lay to reestablish water supply. House was lost during the 20-25 minutes it took to lay the addittional hose.

Fine job by all, unfortunitly, that hydrant mishap sent this incident into the crapper!

Edited by RES20CUE

Just wondering which hydrant blew out? There are 2 on Quaker Church and 2 on Hilltop.

Just as a side note, the correct address is 8 Hilltop Dirve, not 5 as reported.

Edited by Sovereign1

Just wondering which hydrant  blew out?  There are 2 on Quaker Church and 2 on Hilltop.

Just as a side note, the correct address is 8 Hilltop Dirve, not 5 as reported.

the hydrant that was blown was at the intersection of Granite Springs and Quaker Church, right rear the roads kind of stop/begin, the hydrant was tucked behind a fence and a pain to find

so that's what i was smelling on Quinlan St as i was returning home from JV Lanes!!!

the hydrant that was blown was at the intersection of Granite Springs and Quaker Church, right rear the roads kind of stop/begin, the hydrant was tucked behind a fence and a pain to find

Every time I drove by that hydrant I had thought it was in a bad spot. I had looked as though the hydrant was there and then some dumb shmo decided to put the fence up against it. Not smart!

Once again more great shots from Onlocation. Great pics JT

Police probe Somers fire

By BRIAN J. HOWARD

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: February 5, 2006)

GRANITE SPRINGS — State Police are investigating whether arson is to blame for a three-alarm fire that destroyed a house whose owners were away in Florida.

No one was home at 10:11 p.m. Saturday when a fire was reported at 2739 Hilltop Drive.

Somers Fire Chief Edwin Byrnes declined to comment on the cause but said a hydrant struck by a car two weeks ago ruptured from the water main, cutting off the water supply used to fight the fire and contributing to the extent of the damage.

The hydrant at Quaker Church and Granite Springs roads flooded the lawn and basement of a nearby home and cost firefighters time while another hydrant 1,800 feet away was tapped.

The owner's son, Thomas Maffucci of Mahopac, said investigators told him a K9 dog detected traces of accelerant that might have been used to start the fire.

Maffucci said he had not gotten any threats and couldn't think of anyone who would want to do something like this to his family.

Check-out the link below for the Journal News, and scroll down to "Multimedia" and click on Somers House Fire for a pretty cool slideshow with radio transmissions by Frank Bacerra.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Here's the link righ to the slideshow- http://www.thejournalnews.com/legacy/slideshow/020606a/

Edited by RES20CUE

Somers house destroyed in fire

By BRIAN J. HOWARD

THE JOURNAL NEWS

Thomas Maffucci is offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in the fire. Call state police at 914-277-3651.

(Original publication: February 6, 2006)

GRANITE SPRINGS — State Police are investigating the cause of a three-alarm fire that destroyed a house whose owners were away in Florida.

No one was home at 10:11 p.m. Saturday when a fire was reported at 2739 Hilltop Drive.

Somers Fire Chief Edwin Byrnes declined to comment on the cause but said a hydrant struck by a car two weeks ago ruptured from the water main, cutting off the water supply used to fight the fire and contributing to the extent of the damage.

The hydrant at Quaker Church and Granite Springs roads flooded the lawn and basement of a nearby home and cost firefighters time while another hydrant 1,800 feet away was tapped.

"It was very frustrating," Byrnes said.

"We had a great attack going at the time. Without a doubt, we could have saved more of that house."

He didn't know if the hydrant was inspected after the accident.

The owner's son, Thomas Maffucci of Mahopac, said investigators told him a K9 dog detected traces of an accelerant that might have been used to start the fire.

Maffucci said he had not gotten any threats and couldn't think of anyone who would want to do something like this to his family.

The owner of Stardust Limousine, Maffucci said he had a dispute with a customer a few months ago over an unpaid bill, but after speaking with police, he decided not to pursue the matter.

His business has offices in Mahopac, but his parents' home is its listed address. He said he often parks his vehicles there.

The 30-year-old house was reduced to charred timbers yesterday.

A limousine was among three cars in the driveway.

Maffucci praised firefighters' efforts but was angry there wasn't water available to fight the fire.

"I tell you by the time I got here it looked savable," Maffucci said. "The (fire) trucks were here, but no water."

He also said he feared for himself and his family because of the possibility his parents' home was targeted. His parents, Thomas and Mary Ann Maffucci, are both in their 60s. They left for Florida in November and will return today.

Maffucci's girlfriend, Dorothy McGuire of Brewster, said she and Maffucci had just checked on the house Friday.

Cathy Cousin, who lives across the street, echoed Maffucci's frustration.

"We don't have enough hydrants," Cousin said. "Something has got to be done."

Doris Fisher and her husband watched firefighters battle the blaze from a neighbor's lawn until 2 a.m., fearful the fire might spread to their home next door.

"The wind kept shifting, and sometimes the sparks would land on our roof or on that house," she said, gesturing to the next house.

More than 100 firefighters from Somers, Yorktown and Croton Falls responded. A partial roof collapse forced firefighters to evacuate at one point.

Two suffered minor injuries. Firefighters were on the scene until after 5 a.m. yesterday.

What a releif to hear that the FF injuries were minor and that they are all ok! It sounded pretty bad there for awhile with the collapse and all.

Chief Byrnes, as usual, great job by you as the IC! You knew what you were faced with, what resources you had and what ones you were gonna need! I also liked the fact that you were purposely "skipping" communities so as not to strip one area of resources!

All in all it was a job well done by all agencies involved! This was a situation that had some real unfortunate mishaps, but could have been alot worse!

Lets just hope they figure out what went wrong with that hydrant and that something like that does not happen again!

Also, hell of a job by Frank Bacerra of the Journal News! That was the first time i have seen such a good slide show, not to mention including bits of radio clips! Frank always seems to cover emergency services in the northern county quite well!

P.S. - Hey Chief, did you guys ever get that Trooper car outta the way? lol