Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

How to improve moral

13 posts in this topic

We have a lengthy discussion in the other thread, so I figured its time to share some ideas on how to improve things. I for one always enjoyed training drills, either the whole department, or with a neighboring department. I always felt good when we worked with a neighboring dept, and could have a meanigful discussion. For example, back in 2002 Pleasantville did an extrication drill with Thornwood at TFD. We cut 3-4 cars, with P'ville's Hurst tool, and TFD's Lucas tool. Everyone was free to try out both systems, and we discused the drawbacks, and strengths of each system.

I also liked drills with other nearby, but not right next door depts. such Bedford, Bedford Hills, and Pound Ridge. These departments were close enough to be called for mutual aid, and it allowed us to see how they operate. I know we learned a lot at their live burns a few years ago on topics such a drafting(some thing we don't do a lot), and got some really good ideas from their accountability system. It also gave us exposure to smooth bore nozzles, as previously in Pville we did not used them.

Years ago Pleasantville's annual inspection was basically a contest between Pioneer Eng Co. #1, and D.P. Hayes Hose over who could make their truck the cleanest, and win the trophy for the most consecutive years(I think Eng. Co. won that) ;) However, in the last few years, the inspection has shifted into more of does it work, and work properly. The chiefs and comissioners inspect the fleet now, not the westchester parade judges, an afterward everyone gets to enjoy a meal at HQ. Does anyone else have any ideas to improve moral, that you do in your departments?

Edited by grumpyff

I think that well instructed drills, carried out by well trained and informed people are only part of the solution, and a good start. But for any volly organization i would like to see some of the following:

1. Establish a strong standard of care/training

1a. Establish some sort of probationary member training program

1b. Have a minimum level of certification each member must maintain to ride

2. Strong emphasis on professionalism

2a. Nix the fraternity tendencies

2b. Take a strong stance on blue/green lights

2c. Prohibit the use of illegal flashers/sirens in unauthorized vehicles

2d. Establish some sort of acceptable area of response, if your outside this area prohibit response until you re-enter this area.

2e. Establish shift rotations, this way you always have a minimum # of bodies in the house between say 7pm-7am?

2f. DO NOT issue your brand new members pagers and or radios

most of this stuff is based on things ive seen either as a volly or on emergency scenes. I think if some of these issues were corrected, youd find a greater level confidence, cohesion, eagerness as well as service provided within your membership.

Edited by 66Alpha1

MORALE, thats not an easy thing to keep up these days. My opinion is that part of it is because of the decrease in respect for elders, officers, and even other ff's. When I first joined the junior fd in Northport LI, I was fourteen and just full of arrogance. I thought that because my dad was a ff and I was around the fire station since I was in diapers that I knew my s#$@! Well, let me tell you, the guys at the firehouse quickly changed my thoughts on that subject. I'll never forget what one of them told me, "I would rather go into a burning building with someone who's constantly training rather than someone who thinks he knows it all." Those words to me, are what the fire service is all about; Family. If we can make the whole dept feel like part of a family than morale will shoot through the roof, and training attendance will pick up, and suddenly we have trained, competent, HAPPY firefighters who show up to things again.

Just my opinion.

I do have 1 example of something new to try though. Our rescue squad just recently embarked on this journey to increase morale, and they decided to take the squad and immediate family on a day trip to Great Escape. The squad payed for the buses to take us there, lunch and dinner at the park, and all day ride passes. It was an awesome day and it realy picked up the morale. Than we do little things like movie nights where they buy pizza and wings and watch a movie with everyone, or bowling night which we just started this week. I will let you know how that goes.

Good luck!!! ;)

Just so everyone does not think I am just a ranter/basher here are my suggestions:

-recruit those that actually want to be FF's

-discourage those that are joining: for the cheap beer/place to hang out/because my buddies did/they have a big TV/etc.

-TRAIN/TRAIN/TRAIN AND THEN TRAIN SOME MORE

-always encourage members to stay active and pursue education within and from outside your dept. and/or state. There are many new and different ideas out there. The way we do it may not be the best/only way.

-Stay in the books...there is so much knowledge to be gained from so many different sources.

-Know your equipment inside and out.

-Have a mentoring program so senior members can train newer members and stay active and current themselves.

-Do not tolerate drinking/drugs/stupidity on the fireground. Remove anyone under the influence at once.

-Learn from your own and others mistakes.

-Critique fires and major incidents and use it to learn, not criticize.

-Have an officers training program.

-Stress proffesionalism and public relations. We get enough bad press, we don't need more.

-When in uniform or representing your dept. act appropriately.

FYI-this goes for anyone vol or career. OK thats enough for now.

Good points Jason762. One good point you made is the need for more officer development.

NYS paid FD's send their newly promoted lieutenants to the FDNY "FLIPS" school. I do not know exactly what "FLIPS" stands for, but it is a 1 month fire supervisor school.

I do not advocate EVERYONE learning from FDNY because their situation is so unique (excessive manpower and resources). However, this class is a standard and you know that all officers AT LEAST have this class.

What does someone need to be an officers in your department, whether you are paid or volunteer. A lot of training? Popularity? A good "hook?"

I know this might be the start of another string, but I believe morale begins at the top and the top should be held to a higher standard, both before and after they get to the top!!!!!!!!!!!

NYS paid FD's send their newly promoted lieutenants to the FDNY "FLIPS" school. I do not know exactly what "FLIPS" stands for, but it is a 1 month fire supervisor school.

I do not advocate EVERYONE learning from FDNY because their situation is so unique (excessive manpower and resources). However, this class is a standard and you know that all officers AT LEAST have this class. All Career Lieutenants go through 1 month of FLIPS, First Line Supervisors Training Program, not just fdny. New York hosts the academy because use it the most ,about 25 guys per month except in the summer. All outside agencys (upstaters) are dormed at Fort Totten where the classes are held

FLIPS = First Line Supervisor's Training Program (FLSTP) = Afour week (160 hour) management/supervisory course mandated by New York State law.

FLIPS = First Line  Supervisor's Training Program (FLSTP) = Afour week (160 hour) management/supervisory course mandated by New York State law.

This is what is taught in FLIPS.....Educational Methodology, Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness, Fire Cause and Origin Determination, Haz Mat First Responder Operations, Fire Instructor Level 1, and Fire Officer Level 1. These certifications are issued by the state Office of Fire Prevention and Control. Additionally, non-New York City officers receive certification in the Fire Reporting System by New York State. Graduates of the program also receive certifications in Building Construction from the National Fire Academy, and FEMA. ( This is straight from the FDNY Academy web site).

Now these classes are available to volunteers as well. I have taken all of them ( excpet building construction) and achieved my Level 1 and 2 Officer for NY...not that it makes me any better than anyone else but my point is here is a standard that could be followed by taking these classes over a period of time. I bet alot of you have taken these classes and may not know you are elegible for certification.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

I wouldn't call the manpower excessive when 3 firefighters are required to stretch 10+ legnths of hose into 75 foot tall ordinary construction buildings. Everyone else is probably undermanned.

At FLSTPs they also get a some good training that they may not get a certificate for. I know they get Thermal Imaging Camera, Auto Extrication, SCBA, Arson and Firefighter Removal training from the some of the best in the field. It by no means teaches you to be an officer but the current course which has many new features is good training for experinced firefighters making the move to the junior officer.

Wow, these are the topics i love to see in these forums! Godd job on starting this one grumpyff!

I just wanted to say that all of you have given some great ideas toward improving morale throughout the firehouse! I think it is definately a wide-spread problem and we all need to re-group and get back on track!

Jason762....Thank you brother! Thank you for sharing some excellent ideas that can be related to both career and vollie departments! As you have stated, there has been alot of bickering in regards to some of your other posts. But it is nice to see that you have taken some members suggestions and have started to add some positive contributions to this site! I hope you continue to share your knowledge with us all, thus improving many aspects of the fire service!

Jason762: I am not a frequent poster but I had to comment. Your first point is so important, yet so often overlooked because it seems so simple. All the other great points in your post will flow from that first key bullet: find people who actually want to be FF's, people who want to fight a fire.

Find them, you always recognize them when you do.

Jason762: I am not a frequent poster but I had to comment.  Your first point is so important, yet so often overlooked because it seems so simple. All the other great points in your post will flow from that first key bullet: find people who actually want to be FF's, people who want to fight a fire.

Find them, you always recognize them when you do.

True RichC...also, find a happy medium between those who want to fight fires, and those who fight to maintain the status quo

I think that well instructed drills, carried out by well trained and informed people are only part of the solution, and a good start. But for any volly organization i would like to see some of the following:

1. Establish a strong standard of care/training

1a. Establish some sort of probationary member training program

1b. Have a minimum level of certification each member must maintain to ride

2. Strong emphasis on professionalism

2a. Nix the fraternity tendencies

2b. Take a strong stance on blue/green lights

2c. Prohibit the use of illegal flashers/sirens in unauthorized vehicles

2d. Establish some sort of acceptable area of response, if your outside this area prohibit response until you re-enter this area.

2e. Establish shift rotations, this way you always have a minimum # of bodies in the house between say 7pm-7am?

2f. DO NOT issue your brand new members pagers and or radios 

most of this stuff is based on things ive seen either as a volly or on emergency scenes. I think if some of these issues were corrected, youd find a greater level confidence, cohesion, eagerness as well as service provided within your membership.

hey 66alpha,

Just a question. I thought that there was already a rule in existance that says you can only respond with your blue light if your in your district? And I believe there is already a rule that says a volunteer can mark their vehicle with ONLY one 65 watt emergency light, no strobes. I think that falls to most of your chiefs who either just dont have the time to enforce that law or just dont care. Heck, I have seen some CHIEFS with hundreds of strobes on their vehicle and a bar light bigger than the vehicle itself! :rolleyes: I used to be Captain, so I was just curious if the rules have changed or if I had heard wrong back than. Have a good day.