Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Maryland Firefighters Fight at Fire Scene

25 posts in this topic

http://www.nbc4.com/news/7052432/detail.html

Firefighters Allegedly Fight While Battling Blaze

Firefighters Suspended, Incident Caught On Tape

LANDOVER HILLS, Md. -- Three volunteer firefighters have been suspended for allegedly getting into a fight while battling a fire in Prince George's County.

County fire spokesman Mark Brady said volunteers from three companies, Landover Hills, Kentlands and Bladensburg, responded to a fire Monday morning in the 6900 block of Standish Drive in Landover Hills.

Brady said one of the volunteers parked a fire truck on the hose of another company, setting off the fight which apparently was caught on tape.

Three volunteer firefighters, two from the Bladensburg Fire Company and one from Kentlands, were suspended. Officials said the firefighters were "pushing and shoving" each other outside the burning house.

The fire department is investigating the incident.

Brady also said the fire department is investigating an allegation of another scuffle inside the house where two career firefighters suffered minor burns.

The fire was extinguished in a timely fashion, according to officials. There were no other injuries.

The blaze was caused by an unattended candle and caused about $30,000 in damage.

All I can say is, these guys are extremely stupid!!! :blink::D

If anyone knows about these companies down here this is not an uncommon occurence. It just so happens this time someone got it on film. :blink:

More on what supposedly happened inside the house-

9 News has learned an investigation is underway into why Prince George's County Firefighters were fighting more than fires early Monday morning.

Departmental reports obtained by 9 News include claims by two career firefighters that someone deliberately shut off their air tanks and ripped off some of their protective gear while they fought the house fire on Standish Drive in Landover Hills.

The two firefighters, assigned to the Landover Hills station, received first and second degree burns. The reports claim that firefighters from the all-volunteer Kentland Station got into a battle over who was going to put out the fire.

One of the burned men, Captain John O'Brien wrote: "In all my years in the fire service, I have never seen so much 'on the scene' violence in the workplace, unprofessionalism and [disobedience] from other firefighters. How can we do our jobs when we have to look over our shoulders and worry about someone shutting off our air supply, ripping off our face pieces and helmets, and other unsafe acts?"

Volunteer firefighters from other stations that responded to the fire reported similar problems with the Kentland crew. The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department tells 9 News it is cooperating with the investigation.

Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady says an internal investigation is underway. Brady confirms that one of three firefighters involved in a related fight outside the burning home is on operational suspension.

The chief of the Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department believes the allegations and attacks are serious enough to warrant a criminal investigation.

:blink: Find out who the rotten eggs are and throw them out!!!!!

No room for this in the fire service, no matter if career or volunteer.

Edited by IzzyEng4

:blink: Find out who the rotten eggs are and throw them out!!!!!

No room for this in the fire service, no matter if career or volunteer.

But there is plenty of room in jail and that's where these guys belong if they in fact turned off scott bottles and ripped off gear inside of a house fire. They are not firefighters but criminals.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Very disappointing. I hope that this is a result of the media trying to sensationalize the story, as I have traditionally been a big fan of the crew at Kentland.

If it is true, Andy is 100% correct. These clowns should be charged with every crime in the book. I would assume that at a minimum they could be indicted on reckless endangerment, aggravated assault, and some form of interfering with the duty of a public safety official.

There is also a question about whether or not the fight impeded the progress of supression. If so, and additional damage was done to the building during the time that the FF's were fighting, there may be a whole different charge levied on the departments by the building owner.

I've been at plenty of fires and other emergencies where crews and officers have had differing opinions.... "move your apparatus".... "pick up my line".... "why didn't you do this"... "why did you do that"..... "you're second due"... "we smoked you into your own job"...

I've seen some shoves and punches thrown in the street afterward... BUT nothing that didn't eventually get solved with a handshake....

This stuff is crazy... We're all on the same team.

What are we coming to guys!? That whole DEPARTMENT should be investigated and maybe even shut down. That makes me physically ill to see a ff turn off anothers air supply and take off gear resulting in burns!!! This is getting a little carried away. I personaly dont SEE volunteer or paid in front of "Firefighter", I see it as were all doing the same job and this petty fighting at scenes is un-professional. We should all get along, somehow. This is my second family, and I would do anything for ANY of you. Keep us posted if you hear anything else about this, OK?

Have a Great day everyone. :blink:

Chief Andy

Your right and I back you on that 100%. It is criminal. They are criminal. Heck what they did was in my mind the same as using a weapon against someone.

The following is from the fire inquestion as written up on Kentlands website

www.kentland33.com

"FIRE SHOWING FROM LANDOVER HILLS HOUSE

2/13/2006 -

At 0030 hours, Engine 334, Tower Ladder 33 and Chief 33 (Mattison) were dispatched to 6908 Standish Drive, in Landover Hills, for the house on fire. Initially, calls were flooding into the Prince Georges County 9-1-1 center, reporting that the kitchen was on fire at the above address. First arriving Engine 302 found fire showing from all windows on the first floor, side "B". Engine 334, with five volunteers, arrived, secured the water supply for Engine 302 and stretched a pre-connected back-up line. Once the Tower Ladder arrived with another five volunteers, they quickly went to work, performing a systematic search of the fire floor and floor above. After the main body of fire was knocked down, the Tower Ladder crew opened-up, secured utilities and performed a secondary search of the entire home. It is believed that the fire started due to unattended candles left in the kitchen area (due to a large power outage in the area). No civilian injuries were reported. One firefighter recieved minor burns to his wrist. Kentland Volunteers returned to service just before 0300 hours. Some of the volunteers still had not had solid sleep for almost 48 hours. "

It is important that we not pass judgment until additional facts are gathered. I have made the mistake far too often of believing initial media accounts.

To further add to the confusion, the system involved is somewhat complicated and factors could easily be misunderstood by uninformed members of the media.

That being said, if this turns out to be an accurate account of the fire scene, then there should be charges filed against those responsible.

The Kentland Company has an extensive history of rivalry with their career PGFD counterparts. A quick visit to their popular web site, will often mention some sort of jab at their ability to handle an incident.

If their mantra is to promote rivalry ("go home, we got it"), then sooner or later, some misguided Officer or Fire Fighter might start to begin to believe that it is acceptable to behave in this type of manner.

I was also somewhat embarrassed by their "cute" music video, which they promote on their site. Perhaps these "rock-stars" should focus on cooperation and not self-promotion?

We are constantly fighting to ensure that the fire service maintains a reasonable level of progress. Thanks to a couple of IDIOTS in Maryland, they have managed to recreate the same type of environment as the rival fire companies of the late 1800s.

Written By 9 News

Created:2/15/2006 10:23:00 PM

Last Updated:2/15/2006 10:42:42 PM

9 News has learned an investigation is underway into why Prince George's County Firefighters were fighting more than fires early Monday morning.

Departmental reports obtained by 9 News include claims by two career firefighters that someone deliberately shut off their air tanks and ripped off some of their protective gear while they fought the house fire on Standish Drive in Landover Hills.

The two firefighters, assigned to the Landover Hills station, received first and second degree burns. The reports claim that firefighters from the all-volunteer Kentland Station got into a battle over who was going to put out the fire.

One of the burned men, Captain John O'Brien wrote: "In all my years in the fire service, I have never seen so much 'on the scene' violence in the workplace, unprofessionalism and [disobedience] from other firefighters. How can we do our jobs when we have to look over our shoulders and worry about someone shutting off our air supply, ripping off our face pieces and helmets, and other unsafe acts?"

Volunteer firefighters from other stations that responded to the fire reported similar problems with the Kentland crew. The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department tells 9 News it is cooperating with the investigation.

Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady says an internal investigation is underway. Brady confirms that one of three firefighters involved in a related fight outside the burning home is on operational suspension.

The chief of the Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department believes the allegations and attacks are serious enough to warrant a criminal investigation.

http://www.wusatv9.com/video/player.aspx?aid=28639&bw=

Statement released by Kentland FD

"STATEMENT REGARDING THE STANDISH DRIVE FIRE

2/16/2006 -

There are two (2) separate incidents being brought out from this fire -

Incident #1:

This incident revolves around a Lieutenant from Kentland VFD, and a Deputy Chief and Captain from Bladensburg VFD. The incident stems from a Bladensburg truck parking on top of a Kentland attack hose line which was operating inside the house. The ensuing actions to remove the truck from the hose are the center of this portion of the investigation..

As of this time the investigation has been completed and disciplinary actions are pending.

Incident #2:

This incident revolves around allegations that while inside the fire building members from Kentland shut off air cylinders and ripped off protective equipment of firefighters fighting the fire.

The Kentland VFD denies these false allegations 100%, and we anxiously await the conclusion of this investigation to clear the names of both the Kentland VFD, and it’s members will be cleared of any wrong doing.

Also, please be aware that the information that is out right now is one sided. We at Kentland VFD are assisting and cooperating with the Prince Georges’ County Fire Department with their internal investigation "

www.kentland33.com

There is no place for conduct like this in the fire service and as others have stated it's incidents like this in the mid 1800s led to the end of volunteers in NYC. Unfortunatly I think to many young firefighters in this internet age are totally drawn to the Kentland motto and attitude and it's as far from professional as we can get. Just because a department goes to a lot of fires dosen't make them the best. There's plenty of departments that go to a lot of fires and act professional and safe but unfortunatly that dosen't make for a flashy website.

I am not takeing the sides of either department, but I would like to know how they were able, if it happened at all, to turn off 5 guy's airtanks ( think thats what the video said)...One alone would have started a fight...but being able to switch off a total of five SCBA's without them knowing untill they were out of air seems a little fishy to me...I think we all know how long it takes to shut one off and the "force" that needs to be applied inorder to accomplish this task.

I will glady stand corrected when the final verdict comes out however.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

now in the home video two things happen. one the kentland guy is nuts and pushing the drievr and slamming doors. the other is if the truck was on a hose, wouldn't he have seen it when exiting the vehicle? i mean it is not snowing there so you can clearly see a hose on the ground when pulling in.

as far as the inside stuff, i see pictures of guys burned wrists. and guys from diffrent departments saying these boys are cowboys and acting like a bunch of probies. i will agree that if the alligations are true, when guys i guess there is a nice warm jail cell waiting for you. i believe that would be assault, reckless endangerment, attempted murder (shutting air off knowing that they are inside a burnign structure), and actions unbecoming of an civil servent. i don;t think the last one is a real "law" , but if they did it then turn in your gear, your blue light (or red, not sure what they use) and uh don't ever come around here ever again. it is yahoos like this that make people think we are all bad.

Throw out the rotten eggs

STATEMENT REGARDING THE STANDISH DRIVE FIRE

2/16/2006 -

There are two (2) separate incidents being brought out from this fire -

Incident #1:

This incident revolves around a Lieutenant from Kentland VFD, and a Deputy Chief and Captain from Bladensburg VFD. The incident stems from a Bladensburg truck parking on top of a Kentland attack hose line which was operating inside the house. The ensuing actions to remove the truck from the hose are the center of this portion of the investigation.

As of this time the investigation has been completed and disciplinary actions are pending.

Incident #2:

This incident revolves around allegations that while inside the fire building members from Kentland shut off air cylinders and ripped off protective equipment of firefighters fighting the fire.

The Kentland VFD denies these false allegations 100%, and we anxiously await the conclusion of this investigation to clear the names of both the Kentland VFD and it’s members. We feel confindent that will be cleared of any wrong doing.

Also, please be aware that the information that is out right now is one sided. We at Kentland VFD are assisting and cooperating with the Prince Georges’ County Fire Department during their internal investigation.

Found at:

http://www.kentland33.com/

I think the home video shows a guy trying to get the driver to move the rig because its parked on a line I have seen this happen more then once and sometimes the results are very bad. As for the guy from Kentland screaming and yelling sure it looks bad to us because we are looking at it on video. I was driving in Oct at a job when a truck pulled up on my 2 supply lines I had to do alot of yelling to find the driver to move the rig. Remember this happened (or seems to) at the onset of this job. I am not here to bash them lets all learn from this (the parking on lines issue) and when you are driving and you pull upto a working job don't have tunnel vision see the big picture. Just my 2cents

PS I am not a fan of Kentland I think the music video is something that looks like a bad movie trailer

In their little rock and roll video they look like they are all like 18. i now we are looking at it from what is on film but the slamming of doors adn pushing people? if you ran up on anyone and said your on the line they would move the truck in a heartbeat.