Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc2t

Funeral Caisson Apparatus For Westchester?

10 posts in this topic

Lets all get together and have Westchester County obatin a Fire Engine (used donated) and casket lift that would be available for Depts. to use for funeral services. How about it Westchester

I agree 100% with you. owned by the county matained by the county. A nice classie looking rig that can be donated by a westchester dept. or I will offer the use of one of my rigs anytime.

I agree  100% with you. owned by the county matained by the county. A nice classie looking rig that can be donated by a westchester dept. or I will offer the use of one of my rigs anytime.

I would help you with the work needed to be done to the truck too. Let me know what comes of this PCFDENG58. :rolleyes:

see ya this weekend!

I like this idea.

For Billy Malone's recent funeral, Yonkers FD was kind enough to lend Fairview Engine 317 (the former Engine 306 Mack CF). The benefit of this rig was it's low hosebed, allowing easy removal of the casket. Members of Fairview FD cleaned and polished the rig, made a temporary modification of the hosebed, and built- from scratch- a platform with rails for the casket to slide in and out of the hosebed area. A Fairview FD magentic patch went over the Yonkers patch on the front door, and a "Rescue 3" signwas slid into a slot where the engine number usually is. Today, that setup was removed, and the engine returned to service as an engine. It was a nice tribute that he could ride out on a fire engine.

FDNY also has a Spartan/Quality (?) engine that was donated after 9/11 dedicated for use as a caisson unit, complete with hydraulic casket lift in place of the hosebed.

Many of today's modern rigs can't carry a casket, which can weigh over 500lbs, easily, due to complicated layouts and an elevated hosebed. Not to mention it's hard for some departments to take rigs out of service for this purpose.

It would be nice to have a rig like this easily available and I do think it's possible. In fact, an old Yonkers or FDNY Mack CF with some bodywork and new paint might do the trick.

i couldn't agree more having helped work on Engine 317's conversion and clean up, it would be great to have a rig for this purpose in the county that would be only for funerals and such that wouldn't require all the last minute work to be done to it. lets spread the word of the need for this unit..

great idea, if there is anything hat needs to be done push this please lets all get together and work it out

sounds like a great Idea...but to be honest...I dont know why I even thought about this, but I would want to be placed on the back of my dept apparatus...just my personal thought / request if you will. To me it would make it more personal.

Does anyone feel the same way I do?

Edited by EMSJunkie712

I am definitly infavor of this Plan and would love to give a hand with anything that would have to be done to maybe actually see this happen. It Would benefit everyone and don't really see anything wrong with it (on my end ofcourse). Only thing would be this.......

sounds like a great Idea...but to be honest...I dont know why I even thought about this, but I would want to be placed on the back of my dept apparatus...just my personal thought / request if you will. To me it would make it more personal.

Does anyone feel the same way I do?

I kinda do agree with Ya Junkie, having it be your own apparatus is alittle bit more of a personal Touch but thats really a personal decision.

My Dept. on Long Island has a 1980 Mack CF modified a few years back with lift, ect.....if anyone wants to check it out feel free to contact me and you can come over to the station or I can get you details on who did the work.