Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TAPSJ

First Call

31 posts in this topic

Ok I Tried This On Myspace.com, In Some Firefighting Groups and The Responses Were Alsome So I Am Going To Try It Here. Now I Did Get A Couple People Say, I Have Been On To Many Calls, But Just Try Your Best To Describe The Incident.

What Was Your First Call You Were Ever On As A Probie??? This Includes Fires, Car Accidents, EMS Calls, and Miscellanous Calls. I Want To Know Eveyone's First Call.

Mine Was A Structure Fire @ 12 Glanhope Rd. Off Of Sylvan Lake Rd., In Stormville @ 1330 hrs. Me and Mike Quinn Were On East Fishkill 39-13 and I Directed Traffic. It Was So Alsome and I Will Never Forget Having Me, My Mother, and My Father Driving In An Chevolet S-10 Pickup Truck. It Was Tight In Thier. LOL.

Thomas

well my first call i was 17 years old and just go into my firehouse (Montrose FD) i really did not know much,but was around many firehouse as a child so i kind of leared as i went alone. There was a fire at the water gate motel off of 9A in Montrose I was home sleeping just got my pager was hopeing it went off and i beleave that call came in about 2:30-3:00 i jumped up so quick i was happy that we had a call it was my first one i got down there to find the motel fully involved of course being the proby i had to stay on the water supply (hydrant) but was close enough to see what was going on we were there for a little bit well that was my first call and you always seem to remember what your first one is i am 19 now and interor firefighter with montrose and i love it there is nothing better about helping people

It was around the end of March of 1980 on a Saturday nightI had just got accepted into the junior corp of the Pleasantville FD earlier that week. We were sent to a fire in the old train station on Tompkins Avenue ( some of you veteran members of PFD may remember this fire). I remember the sky was lit up lit a fireworks display. The building was fully involved. I rmember assisting the older members on wrapping the hydrant and dragging the hose towards the building but I was only allowed to go so far. Amazing how time has passed by......

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Mine was Active I rode on the tower truck We were returned enroute But what a rush B)

Rode the bakstep of 17-4-2 Saturday morning, November 16, 1991. It was about 7 am. It was the coolest feeling in the world. The wind whipping through what was left of my hair(I cut off the mullet a few days before). We went to a reported fire at what was then known as the Kent Nursing Home out on Ludingtonville Road. Turned out to be something in the ductwork of the dryers.

Did my first EMS run that night for a girl in labor. Turned out to be someone I knew from High School. I remember Steve Weigand getting in the back of the ambulance and pulling out all the OB gear, saying how he had done just about everything in that ambulance except deliver a child. Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance, she delivered a little girl a few days or weeks later.

My first EMS call was an alergic reaction to a bee sting, and the kid was having a bad reaction. Luckly the medic got some epinephrine in him real quick and the kid turned out alright.

My first fire call was a residential alarm. Rode ENG 273 (in the cab JBE :P)

Wasnt exciting at all...we got turned around before we even got on scene lol

an automatic alarm the night i got sworn in. Went home, raced back, made the truck, and had a blast.

And to this day, every time i get on the truck i still get that rush

Rode the bakstep of 17-4-2 Saturday morning, November 16, 1991. It was about 7 am. It was the coolest feeling in the world. The wind whipping through what was left of my hair(I cut off the mullet a few days before). We went to a reported fire at what was then known as the Kent Nursing Home out on Ludingtonville Road. Turned out to be something in the ductwork of the dryers.

4-2 ? The old tanker ? Was it at the Main Station ? Nice long ride, eh ?

My first box was for food on the stove. I think that I can still taste the burnt pork chops !!

My first call was a working dumpster fire. It seemed like someone did a remodeling of their apartment and tossed it all in the dumpster. It was a night that we were doing a clean up for one of the parades and we got toned out. So there was a lot of guys down there so i was positive that i was not going to get on a truck. Then the chief held all other apparatus. :P But later they needed a tanker and thats the one i got on. :)

My first call was two days after I was sworn in. It was a reported auto accident in front of a bar. Turned out the car was parked in the lot of the bar and someone slashed all four tires. Don't know why someone felt the FD needed to be there, but it was still a rush.

my first call was the day after i swore in. it was a cardiac call and i was a new EMT. what a rush.

4-2 ?  The old tanker ?  Was it at the Main Station ?  Nice long ride, eh ?

My first box was for food on the stove.  I think that I can still taste the burnt pork chops !!

Why yes it was. 4-2 was relocated to the main station while the old 17-2-3 was in the shops. I don't miss riding the back step of the old 17-2-3. Nearly got killed on Nichols Street in January '92 when we hit a bump and the back step went out from underneath my feet.

Why yes it was. 4-2 was relocated to the main station while the old 17-2-3 was in the shops. I don't miss riding the back step of the old 17-2-3. Nearly got killed on Nichols Street in January '92 when we hit a bump and the back step went out from underneath my feet.

another reason i like the comfert of my seat :huh:

My first call was in February 1992. I was an Explorer, it was snowing like hell and we were going Mutual Aid to the Yeshiva fire in Yorktown. Just before this call we had a cardiac arrest in the center of "town," but my mother wouldn't let me go. First, T10 got dispatched and my father wouldn't let me go because I was an Explorer and there was no place for me to ride. A little while later, while picking at my homemade pizza (Mom rules), the pager went off again for Engine 119. Luckily, this time, my father drove me to the firehouse. The cool thing was that he was working, so he drove me in the old CPD Car 36. I rode E119 along with 5 other guys - it was awesome. My job that night was to help chop through the ice so we could draft. The following day, I went to school (PVC Middle) and bragged to all my friends about it. They all just thought I was full of crap I think.

I don't remember my exact first EMS call, but my first call as a CFR was an infant cardiac arrest....not cool.

My first call was like 2 Days after i got into my Department.

It was an MVA on 287 Involving a motorcyle. The Department was Having its anual benevolent Picnic, so we had a very good response time.

we actually passed the park were the picnic was at with the rigs. I remember thinking that it was the coolest thing. From that moment i was hooked

Summer of 1993 16 years old and not even a week or so out of essentials class....

Adams Road (cross of Possum in the Stillwater Hills area)... One of those tricky areas that if I recall is Town of Ossining but Yorktown Fire District... BUT if you had to describe where it was to give directions you'd say Millwood (Pinesbridge Road exit of TSP)....

Structure fire in a 1.5 story single family that started in the basement. Rode up on the old E-245 (B Model Mack) and went in on a secondary search (negative) on the main floor with Todd Kruger (then Captain now ex-chief MFC) and one other member who I cant remember who it was.

I recall a Yorktown FF being transported for eating a ton of smoke on that job.

Edited by mfc2257

First fire call had to be late Dec. 1998, for a report of smoke in the building on Wheeler Ave, in Pleasantville. I had just been approved in the Junior Corps. I think it was my first Monday night houseduty. I remember not knowing where to go, or what to do. For my first ambulance call, it was an MVA at Nannahagen & Columbus, in Thornwood. I'll never forget, as we were loading the pt., there was another MVA right next to bus. The one driver slowed down to see what was going on, and got rear ended.

My first call......... it was a car fire on pines bridge road . I thought it was the coolest thing, riding in Engine 274 thru town (second due) . Yeah ever since then I always get chills riding the rig thru town, with the Federal blaring and all. The best feeling on earth is riding thru town and seeing all the kids looking up at u in awe. :D

My first call was with Goldens Bridge in December 1994. Rode in the open cab of Engine 138 to a rollover MVA, for which I helped set up a Stat Flight LZ. A great rush indeed.

My first call with my current department, Katonah, was on Engine 117 to a truck carrying (I believe) sheep that lost control on 684 and slammed into the rocks by Beaver Damn Road. I actually almost got clipped by a tractor trailer who came at the scene way too fast. It was satisfying to see the NYSP Trooper pull the guy over and tear into him.

I see a couple of people saying there frist call was when they were explorers. How could you ride when your were an explorer?

My first call was food on stove a very smokey and smelly hallway and apt, it was my first tour in the fire houes did not see any fire but sure looked like one.Biside that I was new so I had to carry all the heavey equipment they did not have any lite weigth equipment back then(19years ago)but i got to force my first door. Call was on the 7th floor of O/M/D and I did not use the elevator. :D

In my former life:

I was a member in Ossining circa 1979/1980 - My first call was a fire in a garage and I did interior attack and one of the members said to me "Isn't this great?"

In my current life:

We had a mutual aid call to Somers for a structure fire across the street from the Elephant Hotel. I didn't do much except set up lights from our rescue and carry some fans. Oh yeah..and eat some sandwiches :D

Edited by breezly

I see a couple of people saying there frist call was when they were explorers.  How could you ride when your were an explorer?

Well to answer your question as soon as you pass the fire department's physical and get gear you are allowed to go on calls. I went down to a lot of calls, drills and listed and learned things from my father's past calls and drills so I think they were comfortable with me on the truck. But I got a lot of help from officers and other members that helped me on the way and stood by me all the time for every call. Plus most of the times my father was out there and he helped me out tremendously.

I know about passing the phyiscal and getting gear. But when I was an EXPLORER we could not ride the trucks to calls no matter what. And still to this day they can't. The rest is a whole other topic but I just think that its not allowed for EXPLORER's to ride.

My first call:

Fire - Trash Can on Fire. I used the Water Can! Whooo hoooo!

EMS - Cardiac Arrest. I got puked on.

YEARS later and still here........ :blink:

I know about passing the phyiscal and getting gear.  But when I was an EXPLORER we could not ride the trucks to calls no matter what.  And still to this day they can't.  The rest is a whole other topic but I just think that its not allowed for EXPLORER's to ride.

Not to lose sight on what this thread is about, but our old SOG was that Explorers could ride apparatus so long as they didn't take the seat of an actual firefighter. Back when I first got in, we still rode on the hosebeds of the Engines and at times all 3 engines would pull up to a call with 10-12 people on them.

Nowadays I don't think Explorers ride anything because the seating capacities are much lower.

Thank you Remeber585 for explaining that to me. I understand it now very clearly.

My first call was a structure fire. I just joined about a month prior, and the only gear I had was an old canvas coat given to me by a friend of my fathers from the Island, hip boots, a brand new metro style helmet ( I got on my birthday a few weeks earlier). I was everywhere I could be helping any way I could, and I went for 9 staight hours!!! My father, ( Also in the dept.) finaly came and dragged me off the scene and when I got home I crashed on the bed. I only did exterior stuff, and it was a fully involved 2 story wood frame P/D that gave us nothing but trouble. We found a huge, atleast 10-12 inch steel I-beam running the length of the first floor that had bowed into the basement.

Mine was false alarm, a pulled box. Never made it to the scene, though. Went back to the firehouse to report in, and get my "P" for the alarm when another "box" came in right down the block from the first. I jumped up into the hosebed and put on some gear and then dropped back down onto the backstep. I will never forget that feeling. Only to be topped by the site of a fully involved car right across the street from the pull box.

November. '73 - FDMV