Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

UHF Fireground

23 posts in this topic

Memo for UHF Firegrounds

Quick chart

The information on the county site is now corrected.

Now all they need is a list for EMS with PL Tones the Mutal aide plan is missing some info and doesn't have PL tones listed.

http://westchestergov.com/emergserv/EMS/MAPlan.pdf Page 10.

Also on line with this.. I am working on a list of fireground that are in use.. So far I show the following depts using the new system:

Bedford hills - F1

Somers - F1

North White Plains - F5

Yorktown - F7

Mohegan - F1

Peekskill - F8

Valhalla - F8

Briarcliff Manor - ?

Ossining - F3

Your list is the correct one.

Both Yorktown and Mohegan use the system as well.

Peekskill FD uses Fire Ground 8. :D

RWC,

Would you like to define "uses" fireground 8......

](*,)

ALS, let's not go there....haha

I know exactly what you mean. :D

Any other depts joining in use of UHF channels in Westchester.?

Do any depts have written"verbal terms" when using this channel? such as ,,, Hydrant man ,roof or portable B for a certain seat on the apparatus? perhaps just call the FF by last name.

I know BMFD used UHF Fg8 at the 9a Tanker MVA ,,,,did in coming depts switch to the host channel? 8)

edited by TR54 just found a thread on this similar topic

http://emtbravo.just5buckshosting.com/phpB...opic.php?t=1373

But still wondering if the ten codes are used on fireground UHF or is the INCIDENT Commad system followed ,,, plain english.

Regarding the Briarcliff incident. Units responding were advised by control to use UHF 1. When M/A got to the scene and it was only a few members talking between eachother to coordinate the foam portion of the attack it became aparent that we might be on the wrong frequency. That's when someone advised we were actually on UHF 8. Early in the incident UHF 8 had an open carrier or interfearance causing them to use UHF 1 for a short time. Briarcliff FD often uses their own UHF EMS frequency when out on alarms. I know they did have it in use that night, but to what extent. I don't think they used that voting machine or whatever they call in on the Field Comm. unit.

OK I am confused now.. Looking at the list BMFD should be on Fireground #2..

Don't know how they ended up on FG8. PDT_Armataz_19

What is the "UHF EMS frequency" ???

With regard to the BMFD tanker fire... E-247 and T-15 were assigned to channel UHF channel 1 upon arrival. I never heard an order transmitted to switch to channel 8.

About 10 minutes after the inital dispatch 60 control announced all f/g ops were to be on uhf fireground 8.

BMFD has a uhf EMS repeater that we use for ops at fire scenes also, 60 was also operating on this channel as well that night.

We are in the process of adding a "fire ops" and a "crossband link" to 26 so we can complety go to uhf, on this new system the only thing from briarcliff that will be heard on 26 is the dispatch.

Just my confusing is that the Preplan channel for BMFD is FG2. So I guess my question is, If you have a fire right now and you are using the FG's what channel would you be using?

generally on scene we would use the talk-around channel for our repeater channel, we occasionally use f/g 8 as well because it is one click down from our repeater on our radios

So then your department disregards the tactical uhf channel plan as set forth by DES. I don't mean this as an attack, however, this is exactly what is wrong with this county. There is a plan in place for a reason, the departments are all separated and it clearly states in the plan any additional channel requests are to go through 60 control. It also states that the firegrounds should only be utilized on 2 watt portables, not mobile radios so the distance between the agencies is mute.

In addition, every area EMS agency is assigned a UHF primary and secondary channel as well.

See this is also where I run into some fustration with Depts. For example one Dept has a pac/Rat on thier FG channel. This is not the best thing being all it does is bring all the congestion of 46.260 onto your fireground. Something that the UHF was suppose to help slove and ontop of if they have a different PL tone on theOfficer radio for the Pac/Rat so Mutal Aide wouldn't be able to hear the IC.

And if you get Depts that don't follow the Chart now Mutal Aide shows up and it adds to the confusion of what channel you need to be on.

If the Chart thing and all is hard to follow and confusing maybe it should be changed to a system that 60 assigns channels on the Fly on announces the FG everytime they tone out like some places do. This way Mutal Aide and everyone knows what channel they should be on.

Also on line with this.. I am working on a list of fireground that are in use.. So far I show the following depts using the new system: 

Bedford hills - F1 

Somers - F1 

North White Plains - F5 

Yorktown - F7 

Mohegan - F1 

Peekskill - F8 

Valhalla - F8 

Progress for OSSINING FD to start using the UHF fireground system pending arrival of the portables. (Mid Jan early Feb.) Communications on every level will improve attack.

Croton uses our own UHF Fireground channel right now.

Our FAST utilizes Fireground 3, but that probably will change soon because our neighbors to the south, and their neighbors to the south are also suppose to use FG 3 - whose plan was this?!

Chappaqua uses F6... have been for some time now.

Wouldn't it make sense to have 60 Control assign FAST frequencies for each battalion. IE Battalion 14 FAST Frequency is Channel 4 and any time one of the Battalion 14 departments respond as the FAST they use Frequency 4. That way it is already determined before arrival at the fire scene. One less thing to worry about at a fire scene.

i agree with u firemn23 i do think they should asign frequencies to the battalions for there fast teams. and it would be one less thing for a chief to do and worry about

The chief (or incident commander if we actually did proper IMS) shouldn't have to worry about it either way. You have primary and secondary channels. If you respond mutual aid as a FAST team, use your UHF frequency. If for some strange reason you respond far enough to another department that uses your same primary, use secondary. Then follow the comm plan and ask 60 for a UHF freq. or have the coordinator ask. The UHF frequencies assigned to your department are for your use.

Ossining FD is now operating on Fireground 3 for scene operations. The Department purchased 48 Kenwood TK3180's, along with 12 existing TK360's. All Engine and Ladder Company's were assigned 4 TK3180's along with all Chiefs and Deputy Chiefs.