Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Drive-In Movie Theatre

33 posts in this topic

For those of you old enough to remember the Drive-In Movie Theatres they were a lot of fun.

Mohegan FD Station 4 called the Hollowbrook Station sits on part of the land which once was the Hollowbrook Drive-In.

I think the last movie I saw there was Grease. Boy do I feel old now... Anyway I found a Drive-In actually two of them not far from us up in Dutchess County.

Hyde Park Drive-In is right on Route 9. Saturday Nights are fun!

Go early pay one price and see two movies. Plenty of refreshments!

Check it out... It's worth the trip! :D

http://www.hydeparkdrivein.com/

Actually if I remember correctly, the Hollowbrook Fire House, may be on the property that was once owned by the old Hollowbrook Drive-in, but the actual drive-in, screen, and concession bldg were where the new residential development is to the left of the Fire House.

I remember that drive-in well, used to go there all the time! It was great, then used to go to Carvel across the street after the movie!

That carvel is closed as well. Sad times indeed. I didn't live up here when the drive in was open, but I recall seeing the old screen sitting on the edge of the parking lot way back when. Also, next door there was the remains of an old park, complete with inground pool, handball courts, and a few other items. If you drive by now they have built a golf course there, but you can still see an old stone "mini gazebo" sitting on the edge of the road. Anyone have more details on what used to be there? I'm a bit of a local history buff.

You're right, the Carvel does close for the winter, but it should be open again soon!

It was last summer anyway, and it was normal for it to close during the winter!

I saw the new golf course last week, WOW!

Hey Guys-

The Carvel was not open last summer. The Carvel, as well as the Westbrook Inn, was supposed to be sold and I know they wanted to put up a Mobil Mart and as for the screen, the screen and the concesssion building were still standing after Station 4 was built. As RES20CUE said, that is where Bluejay estates now stands. This past weekend, I did see someone open up the Carvel, so maybe there is hope for it this summer.

OK OK.... RES20CUE and Mofire24 thanks for jumping at the chance to correct me. haha :D

"Mohegan FD Station 4 called the Hollowbrook Station sits on part of the land which once was the Hollowbrook Drive-In".

Station 4 sits on part of the land would be correct right?

Anyway..... Drive-In's were alot of fun as RES20CUE mentioned

so maybe some Saturday night all of the EMTBravo members could meet up and have a little tailgate party at the Hyde Park Drive-In.

What do you think?

Why drive so far? We can go and "borrow" the LCD projector from Hudson Valley and head over to the side of a large building that is painted white (Shoprite pops into mind) and project a movie from someone's laptop. :-k

Elmsford used to have a drive in theatre as well. It's where the Sam's Club now stands on Route 9A.

I like the movie party/BBQ idea. Now to only find a big white building, lol!

As I'm reading about the old Drive In movie theatres, I'm remembering back and I believe there once was a Drive In Theatre on Rt 6 on the now vacant, wooded property opposite the driving range in the Baldwin Place section of Somers.

I'm not too sure about that. I know there hasn't been one there, if there ever was, for the past 35 years.

I'll look into that one. But, I don't believe there was one there!

Remembering back? Ain't you a bit young to be remembering back? Now Charlie O'Connor gets permission to remember back, as he told us about when Northern Westchester was just the old red north building. Would I love to see pictures of those. But back to Drive Ins.....there use to be one in the Bronx somewhere. I remember when I was a kid still living in "The Vern" seeing a double feature that included "The Black Hole" which according to IMDB was 1979.

I definitely wouldnt be able to remember that, lol....I just thought I remembered hearing stories as a kid about the possibility of a Drive In in Baldwin Place.

After reviewing my memory banks, I do remember a Drive-In, and yes I'm old enough to remember and have been to it, on Route 6 in Mahopac.

It is now the site of K-Mart (I think), it was the Caldor's shopping center, north of the Mahopac Fire Headquarters. That maybe the one you're thinking about CG.

But I'm still investigating that one at Rte 6 and Mahopac Ave in Baldwin Place.

For as long as I can remember that was always a desolate dune good for riding Quads. Thats about it. I can't imagine it having been a drvie in movie theater as it's not quite flat and shows no signs of ever having been.

I'm probably mistaken. Remember, I thought I remembered hearing about this as a kid. :confused2: #-o Oh Well!

Geez!! I must be old. :roll: I remember a Drive-In Theater here in Lewisville that was on Hwy. 121. Hwy. 121 was a one lane in each direction road. The Theater is loooooong gone, and is now home to a 7-11, a hotel, and Lewisville's Station 3. Hwy. 121 is now a 6 lane divided road, and is actually Business 121, as Hwy. 121 now bypasses Lewisville. :D:D

What I do remember at Baldwin Place was the old mall which, while still open, was a bit of a ghost town. I remember there being a skating rink and a few stores, and that was it. The Westchester Mall (the old Cortlandt one, not the new one in WP) was the same way before it finally got ripped down.

I remember the Baldwin Place Mall in it's hey-day. I used to walk there, or ride our bikes there. I still get my haircut by Tony from the Rome Barber Shop, that used to be inside that Mall (he's now by the autoparts store on Mahopac Ave). Yeah, the good ol' days. I can almost name all the stores that were there. Especially Embassy Variety Store- bought quite a few of my first model cars there! For a long time that was the only Mall around, outside of the Beach in Peekskill, it attrracted alot of business back then.

As previously mentioned in this post, the Carvel stand at Oregon Rd/Westbrook Dr/Red Mill Rd is officially open for the season. I drove past it today and it was open for business.

Good to hear they are back in business. I know they were closed for most/all of last season.

Didn't there used to be one in Yonkers too, on Central ave somewhere?

I was overhearing someone talking about a drive in that was set up over by shop rite and chilis in Mahopac recently. Apparently they set up a screen and all the classic cars were there and they were playing Grease ( go figure) but it was also open to the public.

Yes, part of your info is right, it wasn't in Mahopac, it was in Somers, at the Somers Commons (old Baldwin Place Shopping Center), by Stop and Shop. I was away on vacation, but maybe Truck6018 has some more info on it.

yea that makes sense i forgot the name of the shopping center and i didnt know if it was a stop and shop or shop rite lol. thank you

.... but maybe Truck6018 has some more info on it.

Lucky me. ](*,)

Anyway, as previously said, it was an outdoor showing of Grease at the Somers Commons Shopping Center. The event was organized by the Somers Rotary along with several other sponsers.

The screen and movie were shown by a company that does this sort of thing as a business.

WAS967,

The Whitestone Multiplex right off the Hutch and Bruckner is where the Drive-In once was.

I think when it was a Drive-In it was called The Redstone but I can not confirm that at this time...K!

:D

For all you drive in afficionados, there is apparently going to be setup in Rockefeller Center, a "drive in" of sorts for showing free indie movies to the public. No additional details, and I'm too lazy to look it up. :| Heard it on the news last night.

I might be mistaken, but besides the Drive-In in Elmsford where Sam's Club is now (speaking of a large white Building btw).. I think I remember hearing stories of there having been a Drive-in theater on Route 119 (WhitePlains/Tarrytown Road) just east of the foot of Benedict Avenue. There's still just a bunch of big dirt mounds there.. It's between the two office buildings (one by the Marriott, and the other further west towards the river across from Bayer)..

This one I don't remember myself, but I've heard stories from my parents who've been in the area since the late 60s. The one in Elmsford I remember seeing as a child (but it had been closed already, just not torn down.)

Will have to take the wife up to the Hyde Park one some saturday night.. anyone know if they have a website to see what's playing? Are they new releases or old classic movies?

edit: After checking that site (hadn't seen the second page first time around).. looks like I may have been mistaken.. I'll have to ask my parents about that again when they come back in Oct.

Was967,

Maybe I'm dating myself but I can remember going to see " Live and Let Die" with Roger Moore as James Bond with my father, brother and several cousins at that drive in Whitestone.

If I remember correctly it was torn down in the early "80's for the current multiplex.

Thanks for bringing back a real great memory.

PS. Anybody remember the old Pix Movie Theater in White Plains, always had the 2nd and 3rd releases of Disney movies.

pps. for you kiddies, rereleases were the pre-video way of seeing a movie that was not going to be shown on TV, but that's another story.