Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

Whats With The Popups?

12 posts in this topic

There seems to be a problem here on Emtbravo.net, and i was wonder if anyone else is have this problem

As i'm going thru the topics here there seems to be pop up's, and b/c of this my computer frezes. What i would like to know is is this the work of Emtbravo himself or is this the work of someone like a hacker or something. it's just real anoying that everytime i try to do something here like post or just read!!! these pop up's come up and then i have to restart my computer. So if it no to much troble. I know that seth has alot on his plate right now but if someone could take a look at it thank you!!

ems - I've never noticed any popups on this site, and Im here alot. Sounds like Maybe you have some spyware or adware running in your background. Some these days are so tricky to get rid of the only way is to reformat your computer. Try either downloading some free spyware/adware tools or maybe going out and purchasing some first before doing anything drastic like reformatting. Make sure you back up your important info too before doing anything. Good luck.

cas2383 is correct. I don't remember the last time I had a pop-up. But my anti-spyware shields about 20 serious threats each day!

I use Webroot, it's about 30 bucks a year and well worth it. You can get a free analysis of your PC by going to:

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/s...r/freescan.html

Also, make sure your anti-virus software is up to date and your firewall settings updated. I use Norton and it works great. The site is :

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat2/ec_Ma...ODE=&CACHE_ID=0

It's like the Wild West out there in cyberspace!! Every second there's someone trying to hack into your PC :angry: Give'm hell !! Don't let the bastards in ! :D

It is most likely adware/spyware on your computer... the funny thing about it is usually the pop ups are advertising for anti spyware. A good program to have and is also free is Windows® Defender (Beta 2). You can D/L it free here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Also I have heard that Macs do not have nearly as much problems as PCs or windows based Operating Systems. I just do not like the limited compatibility between Mac and PC. For any type of media nothing beats a mac though!

Any Mac users out there?? Any thoughts??

Edited by M2theAX

Yeah, I have a Mac. No worries about viruses here. Have heard that they supposedly are immune to spyware as well, but don't know if that's fact or urban myth. They do have their ups and downs, though....depending on what you're trying to do.

Easiest way to go...get Firefox!!!

Easiest way to go...get Firefox!!!

dang straight!! best browser ever...gatta love the tabed browsing

Before you pay money for something look into the following software which is all free: Ad-Aware (http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5), Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10122137.html), AVG, a free anti-virus program (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1), and Firefox(http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/). Firefox also has a pop-up extension, but I have a feeling that one run through with Ad-Aware will take away most of your problems, but make sure you optimize the settings for it; it's easy enough to figure out if you futz with it. Also, turn on the Windows Firewall (if you have XP), and set your computer to automatically receive Windows Updates. Never use IE, you can get IE tab for Firefox which allows you to use MS only websites. Good luck.

WSJ 2/27/06

Users of Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh computers have long enjoyed the technology equivalent of a safe neighborhood, where the viruses and security nuisances that bedevil far more common Windows PCs are practically nonexistent. Now, as the Mac is seeing some of its best sales in years, bad guys appear to be casing the joint.

In the past two weeks, information-security companies like Symantec Inc., Sophos PLC and McAfee Inc. have identified several security issues related to the latest version of Apple's Mac operating system, called OS X. Among the concerns: two "worms," programs written by unknown hackers that were designed to spread themselves to other Macs through Apple's iChat instant-messaging software and Bluetooth wireless-communications capability.

And in a reminder that Macs, like Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software, also contain potentially worrisome security holes, a German graduate student last week discovered a vulnerability in OS X that could let a hacker install potentially damaging code on a Mac through the systems' Safari Web browser.

Security through obscurity only works when you are obscure! :blink:

I am pretty sure my next desk top will be a Mac, all though I will definately keep my PC going for PC based programs. Yes everything has pros and cons, but A lot of those "worms" you speak of are very rare and can be avoided. Plus that is a small risk conpared to what all of the PC Users are doing right now (including me). How many times do you have to hit ctrl+alt+del to shut down a program that freezes? or better yet the blue screen of death where you literally have to pull the plug? You just CANNOT COMPETE against a Mac for the media. Sound, graphics, its all crystal clear. Also those new widescreen LCD Monitors are fantastic. All though Mac which IMO is far more superior then PCs are also costly. I recently speced out a machine and when I Was done the final price was around $5K. Hehe now, I love all the bells and whistles but I might have to cut a few back. Also the compatibility is a factor too :blink:

Again Just My Opinion

Edited by M2theAX

There seems to be a problem here on Emtbravo.net, and i was wonder if anyone else is have this problem

As i'm going thru the topics here there seems to be pop up's, and b/c of this my computer frezes. What i would like to know is is this the work of Emtbravo himself or is this the work of someone like a hacker or something. it's just real anoying that everytime i try to do something here like post or just read!!! these pop up's come up and then i have to restart my computer. So if it no to much troble. I know that seth has alot on his plate right now but if someone could take a look at it thank you!!

No pop ups here, u should download a Popup blocker 4 free if thats whats making your computer freez.