Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Pierce Introduces 2 New Exciting Chasis!

41 posts in this topic

Two brand new thought out chasis' from Pierce were introduced today. Can't wait to see them in person.

However, first impressions, the mirrors on the Velocity look wierd, and the Impel looks similar to an E-One Typhoon.

Pierce Velocity:

[attachmentid=1211]

Pierce Impel:

[attachmentid=1212]

Pierce Velocityâ„¢ And Impelâ„¢ Custom Fire Trucks Improve Five Critical Performance Areas

The new Impelâ„¢ chassis.

September 14, 2006, APPLETON, Wis., – Today Pierce Manufacturing Inc., North America’s leading manufacturer of fire and rescue apparatus, unveiled two new custom chassis – the Velocity™ and Impel™ at the Fire Rescue International show in Dallas. The Velocity and Impel chassis were designed with input from fire fighters and maintenance personnel from around the country and feature five significant improvements never before seen in the fire industry.

These five “game changers” include:

Increased space

Storage and clutter management

Safety and visibility

Seats

Maintenance

“These five areas set the Velocity and Impel chassis apart from any other custom chassis in the industry because these design enhancements were made in response to specific requests by fire fighters as to what they want to have in their truck,” said John Randjelovic, president of Pierce Manufacturing. “Our objective is the safety and comfort of America’s fire fighters and this new chassis takes it to the next level.” Each of the five components is available with multiple default and standard options for each chassis.

INCREASED SPACE

The 2007 engine requirements brought a special challenge to the design of fire trucks – engines have increased in size so chassis manufacturers needed to increase the size of the engine tunnel, which ultimately means less room in the cab. Pierce Manufacturing, however, meticulously used every inch of space in the 100” wide cab to ensure that the occupants would have the most head, leg, shoulder and hip room available. The driver also has optional adjustable foot pedals to allow for the right fit and a comfortable driving position.

The 100” wide cab provides best-in-class seating room as the engine has moved forward 7”, which increases rear occupant foot room. In addition, the cab is 3” taller than previous offerings which increases head height clearance. The cab is spacious with room for up to 10 occupants in the Velocity, and eight in the Impel. The dash and instrument panel feature a new LCD screen for text messaging displays. On the officer’s side, there is an optional electronic control panel.

The industry’s widest doors – both front (43”) and rear (38”) – have extra large interior and exterior door handles that can be easily gripped by gloved hands, which make vehicle entry and exit safer and quicker. A lower rear cab floor with two-step entry and a flat floor in the outboard position eliminate internal or recessed step wells and a third step so it’s safer and more comfortable for entry and exit.

And, in addition to all of these other enhancements, the Velocity and Impel chassis have a redesigned HVAC system with improved controls and better airflow to provide greater comfort and reduce stress. The HVAC system includes a six percent higher capacity (49k BTU), dual controls, a ceiling-mounted AC and floor-mounted heaters (36k BTU ea.). These features result in faster on-scene fire fighter recovery and rehabilitation, enhanced environmental comfort and reduced installation costs.

STORAGE AND CLUTTER MANAGEMENT

Fire fighters asked Pierce for more storage – storage for maps, binders, radios, cell phones and anything else they might bring into the cab. Additional storage increases safety because fewer unsecured items can shift or travel through the cab in quick stopping situations or when tilting the cab forward during maintenance. So Pierce designed the interior to accommodate easy-access storage and clutter control areas that keeps the cab organized and efficient, providing a mobile office environment. There are many storage compartments in the dash, engine tunnel and overhead console, as well as a glove box and cup holders to help keep the interior clutter-free.

The Velocity and Impel chassis also feature Pierce’s exclusive and highly durable rotomolded dura-panel console, designed to place road switches and instrument clusters exactly where firefighters said they would be most easily seen and reached. The console is so tough it can stand up to anything a firefighter might put on it – boots, gear or equipment. Hit it with a hammer – it can take any kind of abuse and hold its own. The rocker switches offer various backlight configurations so that users can identify exactly when a switch is on or off.

The cab of a fire truck is also considered the “mobile office” and officers need to be able to conduct business. The console is designed to offer many switch configuration locations and storage options, as well as work space benefits. Knowing that fire fighters use their truck as an office, there is space for a laptop and a flat work surface area in front of the officer for writing, paperwork, and other activities.

SAFETY AND VISIBILITY

Safety was top of mind during every aspect of chassis design. As a result, Pierce Manufacturing is the first fire truck manufacturer to offer frontal air bags to help keep fire fighters safer in the event of a front impact. Available in spring 2007, the frontal air bags are an integral part of the Pierce side roll protection program and its 360° Protection From Every Angle™ program. They are available on both the Pierce Velocity and Impel.

When building the chassis, Pierce also included many additional safety features. The single-piece bonded windshield, free of a center post or other obstructions, allows the driver unobstructed and improved visibility, more than ever before in a custom fire truck. Fire fighters have told Pierce that they like the single-piece windshield and that it gives them greater visibility and a panoramic view. With no windshield curves and minimal distortion to the corners, the driver is able to clearly see the road, pedestrians and traffic.

Fire fighters also asked Pierce to find a way to keep more of the windshield clear during inclement weather. Three wiper blades and arms clear up to 86% of the windshield surface – that’s up 60 percent more than traditional two-piece windshields and two wiper blades.

Another industry first is the new Pierce forward mounted one-eleven mirrors. The mirrors are mounted to the cab, in place of traditional “West Coast” or mirrors that are attached to the doors. In addition to aiding maneuverability by narrowing the vehicle’s width by as much as eight (8) inches, the position of these mirrors improves visibility around the truck, providing a view of the front bumper as well as the passenger side which is often obstructed by the officer. These new Pierce mirrors make the Velocity the only custom OEM fire truck to meet school bus FMVSS-111 standards for visibility.

PS6â„¢ SEATS

Inside the cab, it quickly becomes obvious that the Velocity and Impel was designed by those who’ve had first-hand, frontline experience in the fire service. The seats alone are a significant advancement.

Pierce’s new PS6™ seats are the first custom-designed seats in the industry, with extra comfort and padding built in. They have air suspension and self-adjusting ride height, and a seven and a half degree angle of recline for comfort and safety. They also feature dual seat belt retractors and double-length, easy-to-reach seat belts that fit over turnout gear with plenty of extra belt. With integral air curtains and head height clearance a full two inches beyond NFPA requirements, Velocity’s PS6 seats set a new standard in safety.

The PS6 seats are also part of the side roll protection that Pierce offers on its custom chassis. They incorporate a roll sensor that monitors the movement of your rig. When it senses an imminent roll, it automatically kicks in occupant protection devices including a seat belt pretensioner and seat lowering system, along with the side air curtains and air bags.

In addition, the PS6 seats offer all new, inertia-activated, hands-free SCBA brackets developed with LifeGuard Technologies, a division of IMMI, providing easy walk-away operation without the hassle of levers or straps. Tested up to 30G, the new hands-free holders provider a safer and easier method to accessing and storing an SCBA. These holders are available exclusively from Pierce for the next three years.

MAINTENANCE

When fire fighters and maintenance professionals imagined the ideal fire truck, they thought it should be easy to maintain and with a low cost of ownership. In response, Pierce gave Velocity and Impel a fast access front tilt hood for service ease and convenience when performing daily maintenance, and included a check and fill door for easily servicing fluid levels. Engine and transmission checks are done through the engine tunnel right inside the cab so the cab no longer has to be tilted to perform simple maintenance.

Sitting on 13 3/8-inch frame rails – the largest, strongest and stiffest in the industry – Velocity and Impel chassis transmit less stress to the fire body. These frame rails reduce wear and tear, enhance longevity and provide smoother ride quality. The frame rails support a two-piece clamping system with three designated sections to house the electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic wires, harnesses and components, making access and maintenance faster and easier.

Pierce’s exclusive TAK-4® independent front suspension with a heavy-duty class 8 design experiences fewer problems over the life of the truck. This battle-proven suspension increases maneuverability, improves emergency stopping distances, improves handling and lowers the cost of ownership by cushioning onboard equipment.

Pierce’s Command Zone® advanced electronics provide easy access to breakers, fuses and solid state modules, and offers Mission Critical Logic to keep equipment functioning in the event of a module failure during critical operations.

Other design elements that contribute to ease of maintenance and low cost of ownership include: a water proof air filter; hub piloted wheels; wire raceways with easy access in the cab; and a lift and tow frame extension. The Velocity also features Pierce's exclusive tube-in-rubber transmission cooler, which is more durable than conventional solutions and comes with a 3-year $10,000 collateral damage warranty, and 5-year cooler warranty.

Pierce Manufacturing Inc., a subsidiary of Oshkosh Truck Corporation [NYSE: OSK], is the leading North American manufacturer of custom fire apparatus. Products include custom and commercial pumpers, aerials, rescue trucks, wildland trucks, minipumpers, elliptical tankers, and homeland security apparatus. In addition, Pierce designs its own foam systems and was the first company to introduce the Side Roll Protectionâ„¢ system to fire apparatus. To learn more about Pierce, visit www.piercemfg.com.

post-11-1158278182.jpg

post-11-1158278259.jpg

Edited by x635

Well, I guess there's no anticipation or point in watching the webcast now. Couldn't you have waited a half hour? rolleyes.gif

Well, I guess there's no anticipation or point in watching the webcast now. Couldn't you have waited a half hour? rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry for ruining the suprise. sad.gif It was my understanding that the webcast was done already...friend called me from the show and said it was introduced. Had to get the news out to the buff world.

Edited by x635

Really? Hmm maybe but I'm watching it now and it seems live. It was 7:10 CST which is 8:10 EST. Anyway I see it's already plastered all over the Pierce site so I'm sorry, didn't mean to snap at you. I shouldn't have clicked on the thread lol.

I was going to start a thread on those mirrors on the new Pierce Velocity; they may look wierd, but do a good job of showing you whats infront of and around your vehicle at the same time. Heres an example (although not factory installed) of these mirrors on a tower ladder: http://www.fdnytrucks.com/images/otherstat...seveltTL735.jpg

Come to think of it, the only other place I've seen these mirrors, are on the new Thomans Built Buses http://www.thomasbus.com/_img/home/beauty-3.jpg

Yeah the mirrors are very effective, but gawdawfully ugly. The other thing I don't much like about them is that you can't easily wipe them off if you get snow or slush or rain or dirt or etc on them because they're so far away. The heating element can only do so much.

Well, I guess the Quantum is no longer my least favorite looking Pierce chassis. I do really like some of the features of the Velocity, but not the look of it. Those round headlights are a big turnoff. Most of the interior improvements look really good though, especially the CUPHOLDERS!! tongue.gif

As far as the Impel, well...it's clearly going to be their lowest level custom chassis as the rumor is it will replace the Saber and maybe even the Enforcer (although I think that's less likely). Butt ugly.

Ugh, the more and more I look at these new cabs AND realize that they're killing off the Lance/Dash cabs, the more sick to my stomach I get. I've been a lifelong fan of Pierce, if for no other and better reason than every one our dept has ever owned has been rock solid reliable AND looked good at the same time. When they reworked the Lance/Dash chassis back in the late 90s for the 2000 series, I thought it was a good move to modernize them and found no fault. Mainly because they managed to keep the beloved design of them while modernizing the interior and electronics. I've never had an issue with the Command Zone system, it works just fine on our rigs, but it was really nice to see Pierce come out with the Arrow XT chassis to give depts a choice. Now, sadly, they're shoving this modern look down our throats. This is an absolute nightmare come true for anyone who hated the Quantum chassis and wondered how long until the rest of the lineup looked like them. I suspect sales of the already venerable Arrow XT chassis will SKYROCKET, watch and see. I don't know, maybe they will catch on, but I'm not convinced. There are people like me who have never taken issue or offense with too many changes Pierce has made, save for the Quantum, which never grew on us and neither will these. Pierce is (was) supposed to be about CHOICES, and now that has been whittled down to just four choices, with the Arrow XT the only non-modern looking chassis. Realistically it's down to two choices, the modern Quantum/Velocity/Impel or the traditional Arrow XT. What a seismic shift this is, and in my opinion, a giant one backwards. They most certainly could've reworked the Lance/Dash to fit the 07 engines in them. If they could update them as much as they did with the 2000 series, there's no reason they couldn't have now. While I don't think that looks are a legitimate criteria for spec'ing a truck, we all know the reality is that it does play a large part. I think Pierce just lost themselves a good junk of the market by taking away choices. It wouldn't shock me to see a return of the Lance/Dash design in the near future as sales dip and Pierce hopefully realizes what a colossal error they've made. It's truly a sad day for many Pierce aficionados.

They look both like the old FMC and Compac style cabs. They definately need some work on the design side but at leat the functionallty described seems reasonably up to date.

Edited by IzzyEng4

The Velocity is one UGLY looking truck, and it is mostly because of the mirrors. Looks like something you would see on Mars.....LOL

As a Pierce fan, and one who actually likes the look of the Quantum (both the "original" version and the 2006 update)...

These are both ugly.

I can not argue with, and actually applaud Pierce for the functionality and saftey innovations, but gawd.

Little things like cup holders, portable radio mounts and pen and pencil storage do make a difference.

And anything that can make us safer running up and down the road goes without saying.

The Velocity is obviously from the Quantum family, but I have never liked the "bus mirrors" (SHFD E87 has them on a mid-90's E-One) and those tall doors look like something off of an old FoMoCo or Mack garbage truck.

The Impel screams "budget". Which I understand is important to a lot of departments. But I wonder if Pierce could have simply retro-fit the Saber or Enforcer chassis with the new safety features to keep costs down, instead of incurring all the R&D associated with a whole new design.

I understand the 2007 engine/exhaust requirements will necessitate a lot of changes, but that will be industry wide, and I doubt that every manufacturer will totally re-design their rigs to accomodate them.

I dunno... as much as I like the Quantum, I also liked the fact that it was unique.

I'll have to dig up my pics of our two new apparatus... an '06 Quantum pumper and an '06 Dash rear-mount tower ladder.

-cmc

Did anyone else notice that both new design's windshield is one solid piece of glass? Very uncommom among todays trucks.

As a Pierce fan, and one who actually likes the look of the Quantum (both the "original" version and the 2006 update)...

These are both ugly.

I can not argue with, and actually applaud Pierce for the functionality and saftey innovations, but gawd.

Little things like cup holders, portable radio mounts and pen and pencil storage do make a difference.

And anything that can make us safer running up and down the road goes without saying.

The Velocity is obviously from the Quantum family, but I have never liked the "bus mirrors" (SHFD E87 has them on a mid-90's E-One) and those tall doors look like something off of an old FoMoCo or Mack garbage truck.

The Impel screams "budget".  Which I understand is important to a lot of departments.  But I wonder if Pierce could have simply retro-fit the Saber or Enforcer chassis with the new safety features to keep costs down, instead of incurring all the R&D associated with a whole new design.

I understand the 2007 engine/exhaust requirements will necessitate a lot of changes, but that will be industry wide, and I doubt that every manufacturer will totally re-design their rigs to accomodate them.

I dunno... as much as I like the Quantum, I also liked the fact that it was unique.

I'll have to dig up my pics of our two new apparatus... an '06 Quantum pumper and an '06 Dash rear-mount tower ladder.

-cmc

2007 engine/exhaust requirements are going to add close to 20K to the price of a rig.

Edited by 210

The day the Dash ends is a truley the darkest day for Pierce period. Looks like Seagrave is my new favorite cosmeticaly for now...

SAVE THE DASH!

I actually like the looks of this chasis.

And I'm hearing awesome things about the interior design and space. I'm going to reserve judgement on this one until I see it in person.

I'm going to miss the Dash though. What a great chasis. Long live the Arrow XT though!

Why not just update the Dash, Lance, Arrow and Enforcer to make them compliant with the EPA regs?? If they are such popular chassis, wouldn't it behoove Pierce to remodel them to keep the customer happy if the customer doesn't like the newer chassis??

One thing I would like to know is how much does the front of the cab now come out. That could drastic;y effect the angle of approach and if you have an extended bumper you approach angle could be drasticly affected.

One thing I would like to know is how much does the front of the cab now come out.  That could drastic;y effect the angle of approach and if you have an extended bumper you approach angle could be drasticly affected.

The nose is out 8" and it does not hinder the approach angle at all.

Did anyone else notice that both new design's windshield is one solid piece of glass?  Very uncommom among todays trucks.

The windshield is a one piece panoramic bonded windshield , the visibility is incredible and the 3 wipers keep it provide awesome coverage during rain.

I think they are ugly. Also I think that the Impel Chassi has almost the same curves of an American La France custom chassi.

I think the Seagrave Concorde looks a whole lot more like an ALF than that thing does. I think I'm going to wait until I see one in person, or at least some better pics, before I pass judgement, although my initial reaction is.....not fond of them. I agree, that a redesign of the existing cabs would have been a much better idea. But then again, I'm just a "buff". What do I know? huh.gif

I only have one thing to add.

I hate seeing all that plastic crap on the interior of a fire truck. That is my #1 turnoff with the ALF in our fleet as well as our Pierce.

It's gotta be rugged and able to take a little abuse. That's why I was a fan of our Mack and am a fan of our new Seagrave.

Save the plastic for your Chief's cars. For the money you pay for a fire truck now, there should be gold plated interior panels!!!!

it's like the quantum squared off....... and I can see those mirrors getting bent, shifted and knocked off by the tree branches in the back streets....what are they thinking with those things!!! Side view mirrors work fine where they are.

I think it would be so nice if they just put all those wonderful new features on something that looks good. Can't there be function and form?

So what Chassis are pierce saving/getting rid of

they look onestly retarted. those side mirrors and those big circle head lights? squared corners? and this is from one of the best fire truck makes in the indusrty i love the other chassis but these two i do not like

pierce should make a big papaer bag for thiese things there like ugly women

Pierce is getting rid of the Dash, Saber, Lance, and Enforcer chassis. They are just about done now, and will last only until the non-2007 EPA compliant engines are used up, which will probably be quite soon. (Info from Kent Parrish firepics.net)