Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Rescue Trucks with Cranes

19 posts in this topic

Why do some rescue trucks (none in Westchester that i know of) have cranes and why do no units around here have them? Is it for recovery operations or for use in the absence of a heavy wrecker? I believe that Mt. Penn, Pa as well as Livingston, NJ operates examples of these configurations.

I know of a rescue in Maryland also has one, Aberdeen has a monster with a crane....... i know this does not answer your question LAFD has big a$$ tow trucks used for rescue I believe

Edited by goon16

If they use it, most likely it is for immediate technical resuce work, not so much recovery, but just think how much difference it would make to have a rescue with a 15 ton crane on a call where a car goes into shallow water and people are trapped...

Most recues with cranes on them I have seen are for tech and heavy rescue. The rescue cranes are there to stablize an operation if needed. I do not beleive a fire department / Rescue squad should be doing any recovery operations at all. That is why we have heavy duty wrecker rotations. Let them grab the damage truck / unit.

The only thing I can come up with is what Cas2383 said with the cars in the water with people trapped.

The only thing I can come up with is what Cas2383 said with the cars in the water with people trapped.

What about a car over an embankment, such as the road that winds up near the bear mt bridge? Could they be used in a situation like that?

Just to clarify my last post, I meant vehicle recovery not a recoveryinvolving a patient / victim. Just wanted to clarify, I though it wasn't clear.

I also thought about it further for tech rescue, what if they had to stabilize a large beam, remove a downed tree from a car ect.. this last summer/winter proved a tool like that could be useful..

it might be a good idea to have a small crane on it for some stuff, cause you never know what might come along.

I have seen some small cranes on the TAC units FDNY has but i just think they are for the rigid boat they have on top of the truck.

We don't have a tower ladder in my department but for those who do I always wondered if the ladder can support some weight??? I have seen it once where they used the tower to remove a patient in a stokes basket that was down a large reven. But can the take a little more wiegth then that?? Say to just hold a car from going over a reven or something like that?? Just for stablilazation to remove some one not to take the whole wieght of a vechile.

I think it depends on how far the boom is extended on a TL. LAFD has one of those Heavy Rescue(wrecker) type rigs. The closest thing they have to the Box type rescue is their USAR units. The TAC Units' crane is for the boat. If my memory serves me right, I think either Haz Mat 1 or Squad 1's second piece has a small crane on the backstep.

Most TLs only have a lifting, or anchor point, capacity of 600 pounds total payload, as far as I know. The exception to that is the Metz Aerial. It has , I believe, a 10,000 LB(!) capacity.

Edited by mstrang1

Most TLs only have a lifting, or anchor point, capacity of 600 pounds total payload, as far as I know.  The exception to that is the Metz Aerial.  It has , I believe, a 10,000 LB(!) capacity.

10,000 lbs dam that can be very useful

Rescue that I am Aware of that has a Crane Device would be Latham Rescue 4. GIGANTIC rig, very well built and nicely designed aswell. I will post a pic.

Rescue that I am Aware of that has a Crane Device would be Latham Rescue 4. GIGANTIC rig, very well built and nicely designed aswell. I will post a pic.

There is one photo I found while I was bored

LathamR4.jpg

Why do i get the feeling we will be seeing a rescue with a crane in westchester sometime in the future?????

I'd rather see Depts. in Westchester Cnty. spend their monies more wisely, especially in some of the Career Depts., and properly MAN their Rescue Cos., than foolishly spend their finances on useless equipment such as a crane for which I can almost guarantee would never be used. :angry: