Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

Westchester (C)FI /SFI positions

32 posts in this topic

I know the SFI positions were filled, but has anyone whom applied heard whom had gotten appointed the CFI positions yet?

No, I haven't heard anything yet.

I originally heard that they were going to hire 12 CFI's, but on Thursday, I heard they are going to hire 15. The first source is much more reliable than the 2nd, but I guess we'll see.

according to my sources,the new cfis will be notified this week.

a possible # of 23 !

23??, That would be great, but I heard only 20 applied and 2 were hired as SFI's. My info maybe incorrect, but that's what great about Firehouse Scuttlebutt!!

2 SFI's were hired.

Just curious what is a CFI, SFI?

Mike

CFI- County Fire Instructor

SFI- State Fire Instructor

Basically both do the same job, but one (CFI) is employed by the County and the SFI, is employed by the State OFPC, but works within Westchester.

So did anyone hear yet?

I'll let part of the cat out of the bag.

I was 1 of the 2 SFI's appointed. I'm still awaiting to see if I will get CFI status also.

Good to hear, well now I know who the 2 are, I already heard who the other is.

I just received my letter today for a CFI position.

Congrats Guys! :D

Congrats! Res20Cue, private message me when you can. I sent you one but you didn't reply. also include your email addy please.

In addition to being appointed SFI I received my letter for CFI today also. Hopefully state paperwork will be done by mid next week so I can get cracking in the classroom. See you all in a class soon.

In addition to being appointed SFI I received my letter for CFI today also.  Hopefully state paperwork will be done by mid next week so I can get cracking in the classroom.  See you all in a class soon.

Congrats to you both..

Hopefully this will improve the availability of slots for some of the courses we have to take.. I'm looking forward to it.. Incidentally,

What's that like as a career? Is it fulltime? What's the pay like (I know touchy subject, just wondering in general... 30s, 80s, six figures, etc.) Also, what background is necessary, required, good to have?

See you in the classroom!

- rick

The Instructor positions are Part-Time. The pay is an hourly wage. The Job Description states that you must be certified as a Fire Instructor by NYS. It does not state level I or II.

As far as helping out, I guess you would have to ask the panel that hired us!

the paperwork is "in the process" over at the county office building,hopefully soon we will be on our way to teach!!!

I love how long it takes. We've been "in the process" for what about 2 months now? Thank god for camp smith.

paperwork was recieved fri,7/30. official as of 8/16. now the fun starts?

LOL. All I can say is about time....

First of all Congrats to our newest instructors!!!! =D>

BUT don't be discouraged by the length of time they take to process. I have been with NYC DEP for over 25 years and the one thing I've learned is that Governmental entities seem to have 2 speeds Slow and stop , but once the paperwork gets started, it Will get fininshe even if at a "snails pace".

Anyway CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

We hear ya Doc, but I got speedier service at times in the Marine Corps and as a federal firefighter. I'm sure there are some people within county that get their personnel put on a bit quicker. This just seemed ridiculously long. One thing is for sure, its finally almost over 2 more weeks, orientation and into the classroom.

The problem was that with the new Dept of Emergency Services, the position title was changed from County Fire Instructor to Emergency Services Instructor, but of course all of the paperwork we did still said CFI, so the county kicked it back.

Anyway, they finally cashed my check, so I guess that's a good sign.

Seeing how the August Instructors certification starts Monday, the new instructors will not be in there, unless they are going in another fashion (I'll be there, leaving tomorrow). That means that the other instructors (outside als, Hudson and myself- the only ones I know who got hired) will not be teaching until after the October Conference, and only if they can get in. I just got e-mailed the registration yesterday, so the reservations are starting!

Good Luck to all the new instructors, hope to be working with you very shortly!!!!!

Faxed my today for Oct.

Yea. I heard it was taking a long time go get the paperwork through.

Looks like I may have my first scheduled course...possibly a FF2 in Sept. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...lol.

WHAT YEAR??????????????????????? lol

Just got home from an OT tour, and believe it or not, the letter was there!!

HIRED- Effective 8/16/04.

About time!

=D> Congrats!!!!!! It'll be GRRRRRRRREEEAAAATTTT to have another FI from our local area!!!!! =D>

](*,)

Guess I'll have to wait to see if mine comes tomorrow, lol, being I live just a little bit farther north.