Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Castle may quit PMedic services group

67 posts in this topic

New Castle may quit paramedic services group

By ELIZABETH GANGA

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: March 29, 2006)

CHAPPAQUA — After six years as part of a consortium of northern Westchester towns that contract jointly for paramedic service, New Castle may pull out unless it can negotiate a lower share of the operating costs.

Town Supervisor Janet Wells is trying to get the other seven towns to change the formula for how much each pays toward the $1.5 million annual budget for advanced life support service.

New Castle, she argues, pays an unfairly high portion because of its high assessed property values, one of two factors in the current formula. The town is paying about $246,000 this year.

Wells also is concerned with the response times of the paramedics to medical emergencies in New Castle.

Three cars with paramedics from Westchester EMS, part of a hospital network called Stellaris Health, are stationed around northeastern Westchester to respond to emergencies. The closest one to New Castle is at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mount Kisco.

Because of that, the town has asked for proposals from paramedic companies to provide service only to New Castle, so it can compare those with what it contributes to the consortium.

The paramedics provide a higher level of care than the emergency medical technicians in the local volunteer ambulance companies. The paramedics come to the scene in "fly" cars, which carry medicine and equipment, and the ambulance companies provide basic life support and transport patients to the hospital.

Wells said even if a town-only service costs a little more, it would be worth it. A locally stationed paramedic would have a better chance of saving someone's life in an emergency, she said.

"To me, that's worth it," Wells said.

Her initiative has stirred controversy both within New Castle and among the other consortium members. They are North Castle, Bedford, Mount Kisco, Pound Ridge, Lewisboro, Somers and North Salem.

If New Castle pays less, or leaves the group, other towns will pay more. Wells wants to factor call volume and square miles into the funding formula, which now takes into account only assessed value and population. She will push her proposal at a meeting this morning of representatives of Stellaris and the member towns.

If New Castle wants to leave the consortium, it must notify the other towns by May 1, Well said.

North Salem Supervisor Sy Globerman said the proposed formula would hurt his town the most because it has a large area and a fairly high call volume because of accidents on Interstate 684.

North Salem pays about $78,000 a year, and Globerman said it could go to $106,000 depending on the formula change.

Jim Palmer, Mount Kisco's assistant village manager, said the village was comfortable with the existing funding structure and could be hard hit by the change.

"The village would have to take a hard look then at the cost of ALS for us," he said, referring to advanced life support. Mount Kisco is paying about $110,000 this year.

Within New Castle, the Chappaqua Volunteer Ambulance Corps has urged the town to stay in the consortium.

"Because it works," said Ben Watson, the corps' chairman.

A paramedic stationed in town could respond quicker, he said, but under the current system, two medics can be called to a particularly nasty accident.

The corps has been impressed with the quality of the West-chester EMS paramedics, and response times have averaged about eight minutes, he said.

Which VACs other then Chappaqua cover New Castle?

OVAC and Briarcliff Manor FD-EMS are the primary providers other than CVAC on the west end (Millwood Fire District). Essentially CVAC's box ends in the area of Route 100. Most spots west of Route 100 are OVAC or BMFD-EMS's box area.

There may be some overlapping areas of NewCastle that Armonk, Mount Kisco, Pleasantville, and Yorktown cover, but I'm not 100% sure b/c they don't boarder the Millwood Fire District and only interacted with those agencies on a second due basis.

The residents of any Town that has a fly car deserve the fastest response time that they can get. I don't think that 1 of the Northern West Fly car is dedicated to New Castle is it? Say the Medic is on a call in Mt Kisco and is securing an RMA or assisting the VAC with a BLS call, and a call comes in to New Castle. That is going to take an extended period of time for the Medic to respond. That is not fair to the person that is sick or injured. I am not saying that if New Castle had their own medic that the same scenario couldn't happen, I just think that the response time would be faster.

I know the response time in the Northern part of the County before their were even 2 fly cars was insane. Thank God they have 3 now. That was the true meaning of Medic intercept. It was fun though.

I am not trying to cause trouble and thankfully I live in a Town with a dedicated Medic and 1 that is avaiable from WMC. The New Castle Supervisor makes a valid point.

In my rather humble opinion I think its best for New Castle to stay within the WEMS Paramedic consortium. What seems to be the case, and granted I don’t know New Castle politics, is you have politicians or a politician putting a price tag on life and lifesaving medical intervention – anyone who does that doesn’t deserve to hold office. Its bad enough our Paramedics are getting paid a measly $17 dollars (despite their extensive medical background), which is barely enough to sustain a family of any size – but once again we have government trying to contract to the lowest bidder. I work in Putnam County which has a very similar Paramedic system – 4 Medics stationed, with fly cars, at key points throughout the County. The benefit of this system is the fact that it is flexible. As Medics go in and out of service, the others stationed around the County can pick up jobs as needed. Likewise, its interesting to see that the 8 minute response time is particular highlighted as a driving force behind the need to switch. In NYC a Paramedic unit is guaranteed within 6 minutes and a BLS unit within 1-2, I would be interested to see the average response time of New Castle’s BLS unit on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday morning. Likewise, an independent medic within New Castle isn’t going to solve anything. If you have a medic stationed at the Volly house, sure the ambulance gets out but what about a crew? If you have a medic stationed in a fly car sure he’ll be on scene within 5 minutes but, again, he can only do so much without a transporting unit. If New Castle wants to properly tackle EMS in their town, they are going to be looking at least 1 medic on 24/7 along with 2 EMTs 24/7.

I do not know much about the EMS field and operations, but I would have to agree with the town manager of Chapaqua. Why shouldn't they have their own medic? I would definately feel safer as a resident to know there is someone on stand by. Lets face it the VACs just cannot provide that immediate service. They have the money, so use it to protect. And why focus on a sub par service that a group is offering when you could have your own. And maybe this is the union in me talking, but this is good news to me, as it will create a new position and more jobs. I am sure all of these towns have the $$ to support the finest police, so why not have your own EMS. Nearly every town in westchester has their own police dept. I am not trying to sway this post into "career vs. vol." But having a trained professional on stand by ready to respond within seconds, who is dedicated to one job (ALS, Police, or Fire) will better protect the residents.

but 66 alpha, didnt the manager state that they would pay for their own service even if it did come out to more $$, becuase of the quality of service. Mainly refering to the sizeof the current contracts response district. She wants a service to conentrate mainly on her district not all over New Castle, and is willing to pay more then her share. Within the current contract she feels she is paying more then her fair share for the service they get. Just some thoughts

but 66 alpha, didnt the manager state that they would pay for their own service even if it did come out to more $$, becuase of the quality of service.  Mainly refering to the sizeof the current contracts response district.  She wants a service to conentrate mainly on her district not all over New Castle, and is willing to pay more then her share.  Within the current contract she feels she is paying more then her fair share for the service they get.  Just some thoughts

Valid points JSG - but check it out:

In NYC a Paramedic unit is guaranteed within 6 minutes and a BLS unit within 1-2, I would be interested to see the average response time of New Castle’s BLS unit on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday morning. Likewise, an independent medic within New Castle isn’t going to solve anything. If you have a medic stationed at the Volly house, sure the ambulance gets out but what about a crew? If you have a medic stationed in a fly car sure he’ll be on scene within 5 minutes but, again, he can only do so much without a transporting unit. If New Castle wants to properly tackle EMS in their town, they are going to be looking at least 1 medic on 24/7 along with 2 EMTs 24/7.

While a Medic for your own town is great, your going to need someone to drive the ambulance in an ALS situation and someone to drive and tech in a BLS situation - allowing the medic to go back into service. I guess my question is: How effective is North Castle's BLS service at responding to calls in a timly fashion? Paramedics dont shoulder the entire EMS system themselves - its always been BLS before ALS.

Valid points JSG - but check it out:

While a Medic for your own town is great, your going to need someone to drive the ambulance in an ALS situation and someone to drive and tech in a BLS situation - allowing the medic to go back into service. I guess my question is: How effective is North Castle's BLS service at responding to calls in a timly fashion? Paramedics dont shoulder the entire EMS system themselves - its always been BLS before ALS.

I see, valid question. I am assuming that the cost to have BLS run with the "fly" car will drive the cost up. However, if the town can afford it then I say go for it,

Unfortunately, this situation seems to be based on the fact that Dick Wells, Janet Wells' husband, is a paramedic who was not hired by WEMS in the past. This seems to be a big sticking point for her, as she has had a bee in her bonnet since then. Facts are facts, and Janet is pressing this for personal reasons.

I think all your points are valid and I can tell you one thing. Although I think that Volunteers do a great service, it is getting to the point where this County is going to have to go FULL PAID SERVICE. I am not picking on Vollies because that is where I started. I soon learned that getting paid for being up at 3a was better than not. Then I saw the at the time the leve of my training. EMT-P was higher than offered where I lived. I didn't understand that and whenever I did a "VOLUNTEER" call, I would get annoyed. So I stopped.

So, we moved into the 21st Century and we now have 1 dedicated Fly car that is in the Town. From 7a-7p, we have Two ALS TRUCKS. Sometimes that other medic is in an ambulance. Since switching to this system when it started, and knowing the area, it was easy for me to get to calls. Response times were good from anywhere in Town which is approximately 40 something square miles.

I have worked all over the County and in one system, I would have to drive the AMBULANCE TO GO PICK UP MEMBERS AT THEIR HOUSES. Talk about B/S. Those of you that have been around may know who I am talking about.

In my Town now, we have entered the point where it takes forever to get an ambulance. One can't get out so you Mutual Aid that other can't get so you Mutual Aid finally you get one. That is at least 8 minutes before the last AMB gets dispatche. Then they have to respond to the building and you know the rest. At least one of the VAC's went to a PAID EMT in the morn when there is nobody on the schedule for the VAC. Maybe that is what needs to be done. There is no reason that ANYONE should have to wait more than 10 minutes for an AMBULANCE. That is given that the MEDIC is already on scene giving TX. I can't tell you how many time that I have asked for an ETA for the VAC. The aided and their there family members just look at me with this puzzled look. Is that Fair? NO.

I am on the other side now in a PD role and it has opened my EYE to a whole new situation. I GUESS I AM just frustrated.

So, If New Castle is willing to spend the extra money and have their own medic, so be it. I know that will not get the ambulance out any faster, but it will get TX to the aided quicker in most cases.

And a few more points:

1) If New Castle opts out, and hires 1 medic FT, when that medic goes out, who covers? WEMS has another car repost to cover, and also has a Medic 4 bus/car as-available as well as the occaisional supervisor with a set of gear. New Castle's second medic will be mutual aid from where?

2) If CVAC, which wholeheartedly supports the system, can't get a crew, under the new system, would the medic have to ride it in? If so, is this really an improvement/

3) Money-wise, the system is a bargain. Let Janet inform the taxpayers how much more it will cost for dedicated service-they will NOT be happy.

4) Dick Wells works for Transcare. Janet has come out in favor of TC since Dickie didn't get a job at WEMS. You CANNOT tell me this isn't personal. And I am NOT privy to confidential info, because Dick himself ran all over crying about the inequity of it all, even after his wife made phone calls on his behalf to WEMS urging them to hire him. WEMS declined to hire him, per Dick, due to his lack of experience. So why punish the towns in the consortium. Maturity.......get some today.

Edited by Skooter92

And yes, I work for WEMS. Let's get that right out. And if somebody came up with a better, less expensive system, I'd be all for it. But fragmenting a regional system that works for less money per community in favor of fiefdoms that may cost more and provide less service due to a personal vendetta.

That sucks butt.

hmmmmm. Its going to be intersting to see what happens with this.

That's Politics. I don't know who Dick is and I don't know where he works or anything like that. When you are dealing with a contract, that is when the politics come out. I don't know the answers to the WHAT IF. I can tell you that if both our medics are out, we will get Mutual aid from what ever ALS unit is the closest to the scene. That could be the OSSINING/CROTON MEDIC, GPD MEDIC, or even A WEMS MEDIC. I think that same thing goes for an ambulance. Although that has not happened alot, it has happened and we have utilized 87B1 from the WMC CAMPUS.

I am sure that New Castle isn't trying to do this just because 1 person didn't get hired by a company. And, If Transcare did take over, you might even see a deal with the Town Supervisor of Mt Pleasant work something out if they needed a Mutal Aid Medicl. Mt Pleasant PD does cover areas in New Castle anyway so I don't see that as being a big deal. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT. I made that up, but being around for awhile and seeing many contracts go to different companies, I would not put anything past anyone.

I guess that would also be better for the Residents of Northern Westchester then. 1 more fly car freed up.

It will be interesting though. I think the problem with all of this is, if a Vollie crew can't get out, people get pissed. But, if you decided to put a paid system in place, you may be paying money for services not needed. You know, some of these towns go a couple of days without calls so that would be a waste of money. Maybe just a paid EMT for these areas and making sure there is a driver on duty at all times.

I can say this, I have been put in the situation and still see it now that a only a driver can get out and the call is BLS and they try and get the MEDIC to ride it in. I have said NO many times. The Vollies tried to pull a fast one, not on me though.

Murphy's Law. You ride in a BLS call and while enroute to the ER, There is a Cardiac Arrest somehwere. Try and explain that. Especially when it will take awhile for another Medic to get on scene.

I also think that alot of the problem is that the people in charge of EMS in their towns don't understand EMS. Does the Supervisor of New Castle know about EMS and FLY Cars and all that? She knows about numbers and how much it is going to cost but how about looking at how many ALS calls they have Versus BLS calls. I know that changes year to year, but it is good to look into.

This just in:

New Castle wins ALS funding change

By ELIZABETH GANGA

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: March 29, 2006)

MOUNT KISCO — New Castle has succeeded in getting a consortium of northern Westchester towns that contract together for paramedic service to adjust the funding formula so it will pay a smaller share.

New Castle Supervisor Janet Wells had argued that the town covered an unfairly high portion of the $1.5 million contract because the formula was based in part on the towns' assessed value and did not take into account call volume.

New Castle's property valuation is higher but it generates fewer calls than its neighbors.

At a meeting today at Northern Westchester Hospital, supervisors from five of the other towns and the Mount Kisco assistant village manager agreed to the funding change, subject to approval by their local boards.

Hanging over the gathering was the question of whether New Castle would withdraw from the consortium altogether when the current contract is up in September.

The possible withdrawal, which would force the other towns to pay more, has been a contentious topic.

Wells has been researching whether New Castle would get better service at a similar price by contracting separately for paramedic service that would be based in town.

The current system calls for three Westchester EMS "fly cars," which hold the paramedics and their medicine and equipment, to respond to emergencies along with the local volunteer ambulance companies.

Three cars are stationed around the region, with the closest one to New Castle in Mount Kisco. Westchester EMS is run by Stellaris Health, a network of Westchester hospitals.

New Castle has asked to receive proposals from ambulance companies by April 6 and Wells said today the town will still take a look at how best to provide its residents with advanced life support.

I know in the past our town supervisor had little to know clue about ALS or what is really was. Now I know the new supervisor consults with our EMS Captain from time to time to understand what it is. I think there should be a standard of training when you become a supervisor. Maybe ICS, just to understand what everyone else does. But thats a different topic for a different time.

I do work for WEMS also, and I have been on the ALS bus going mutal because all 3 medics were out. I think it will be a really bad idea if Chappaqua pulls out of the program. But maybe Medic 1 should be broken up, it is a large area to cover with sometimes very active. Maybe Mt Kisco, Chappaqua, and parts of Bedford as one car and Armonk, Banksville and Bedford village with parts of Bedford as the other car. But its just an idea....

Props go to Hoss for keeping us updated with the latest!!!!

...In NYC a Paramedic unit is guaranteed within 6 minutes and a BLS unit within 1-2...

Gauranteed? Are you sure about this?

FDNY data from Feb '06 tells of about 08:30 for all calls, with Segment 1, the most serious life-threatening calls, about 05:30.

Edited by 23piraf

Props go to Hoss for keeping us updated with the latest!!!!

Gauranteed? Are you sure about this?

FDNY data from Feb '06 tells of about 08:30 for all calls, with Segment 1, the most serious life-threatening calls, about 05:30.

Maybe its a Paramedic unit within 10 minutes, however i thought i recalled it less, but the point i was trying to make was the WEMS ALS unit response time was not atypical. Glad to see they didnt pull out, looks like things have worked themselves out.

In my town in southwest CT along the new york border, we have our local BLS volunteer corps and a contracted paramedic fly car that is stationed at our local EMS HQ and not allowed to cover any other town. This works the best - if 2 calls require ALS, our paramedic and volunteer BLS crew (always 2 EMTs minimum) take the first call. The second call goes to the backup crew(again, 2 EMT's minimum), and a paramedic fly car responds from the hospital to meet them. All paramedics work for the hospital. Thus, we have a system that has never failed and it works great. ALS coverage is provided 24/7 in our town - we don'tr share it with anyone and it gives our citizens a confidence that their money is going to help them in return. It is the least we can do for thier contiued financial support.

I guess that would also be better for the Residents of Northern Westchester then. 1 more fly car freed up.

That may or may not happen.

Example, if one of the larger towns (one that all but has a fly car just for that town) that participated chose to withdraw, the whole consortium would be stirred up as it may not be justified to have as many fly cars doing fewer runs.

This issue should be looked at comprehensively on the county level. An overall asessment of the needs of all county residents should be conducted with the overall goal of creating an efficient, effective means to deliver quality emergency medical services.

As with FD's and PD's, the system is fractured and needs to be assembled.

People keep talking about CVAC not being able to get a crew together. I started volunteering with CVAC almost three years ago and I can tell you that virtually every shift has, at the very least, a driver and an EMT. In those three years, I think there have been maybe three 12-hour shifts that didn't have a full scheduled crew. And for those, all members were asked to keep their pagers on and respond, if possible. We very, very, very rarely have to request mutual aid because we can't get a crew. If you want to say that we don't respond to calls, you might want to make sure that you know what you're talking about.

And yes, I work for WEMS.  Let's get that right out.  And if somebody came up with a better, less expensive system, I'd be all for it.  But fragmenting a regional system that works for less money per community in favor of fiefdoms that may cost more and provide less service due to a personal vendetta.

That sucks butt.

OK Skooter92 if you want to stick to the facts lets do that. Ms. Wells has stated several times that her EX-husband would never work for the Town of New Castle and this has been stated in a public forum at meetings as well as to the newspaper. Sounds to me like you're the one who has a problem with Dick Wells and it's the only thing you have to bring against Ms. Wells. She is not looking for the lowest bid but rather the best options for the citizens of her Town and is quoted in the paper today as saying even if they have to pay a little more for better service it is well worth it. As far as mutual aid goes I believe a large amount of it comes from the south when needed and when mutual aid is obtained through the other WEMS flycars who is then left to cover the rest of their territory? one other flycar. Coming up with a less expensive system is not the solution, coming up with a system which puts patient care first is the solution. Rather than attacking Ms. Wells she she be applauded for recognizing a problem in her community and taking steps to correct it. She was shunned by other supervisors who's ONLY concern was what their cost would be if New Castle pulled out and there's a statement in the Journal News to that fact. If New Castle pulled out - maybe someone should ask themselves why New Castle feels the need to pull out.

It was mentioned the pathetic wages of $17 per hour and YES that is pathetic which is why nobody can retain their medics. It was also mentioned that a medic can't do much without a transporting unit, my guess is this person is either not a medic or one that is unable to work by himself effectively. There is a tremendous amount which can be done prior to the arrival of a transporting unit. The Westchester Region has already put out a memo stating they are looking to have a transporting unit on scene in no more than 12 minutes. If a medic is with a patient within 3-4 minutes that is alot of patient care beng done in the next 8 minutes. Why don't you try breathing through a coffee stirrer for the average 12 minute response time and tell me that is acceptable.

Unfortunately with most households needing two incomes it is getting more and more difficult to get a good response time from volunteer ambulances which makes it an even higher priority to make sure there is the highlest level of care possible to the patient as soon as possible.

Why people are afraid of positive change will always remain a mystery to me. What could they possibly be afraid of?

I think what Ms. Wells is attempting is an incredible step forward for EMS and it is so unfortunate that people can't see the big picture. Faster response ARE better and when a member of Chappaqua VAC actually makes the statement on television that New Castle is better off without dedicated paramedics and it's OK for someone to be in pain a little longer to wait for a paramedic is pathetic and it may be time for that individual to shred their card.

Let's remember why we do this guys and if you're #1 priority is not your patient you are in the wrong business.

I can totally see Ms. Wells point of running their own Medic. Even if it does cost more money, I am sure the cost to each individual homeowner would be minimal. Yes, the Mt. Pleasant system works well for the most part, but what happens when Medic 2 is at the jail, and Medic 1 gets called to Ruth Taylor or the Homeless Shelter (both County facilities). If a tax paying resident goes into cardiac arrest, I don't think their family members will be very happy to hear that the Medics are unavailable. Yes, I agree that it is, at times, taking longer to get a "vollie" ambulance out. But I also think that it is a disgrace that a "vollie" corps in the Town of Mt. Pleasant is billing patients (as well as receiving tax dollars) - and the worst part of it is that after the patient submits their insurance info, this VAC re-bills the patient for the small amount that insurance didn't cover! I have always said, and many peole have disagreed with me, that the Town of Mt. Pleasant should have looked into running their own Medic system. Our Town Supervisor just keeps looking for the easy way out and signing Transcare's contract every year without looking at other options. In addition, I always thought that other "bids" were required before agreeing to a contract?

New Castle, North Castle to save money on paramedic deal

By ELIZABETH GANGA

eganga@lohud.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

The numbers

(Original publication: March 30, 2006)

New Castle and North Castle will pay less for paramedic service next year under an agreement worked out yesterday by a consortium of northern Westchester towns that contract together for advanced life support services.

The other six towns in the consortium would pay slightly more to have paramedics back up their volunteer ambulance services in responding to emergencies. Paramedics can provide a higher level of care than the ambulance-corps members and respond to scenes in "fly cars" that are stocked with more medicines and equipment. The volunteers then transport patients to the hospital.

Since 2000, the eight towns have contracted with Westchester EMS, which is run by a network of Westchester hospitals under the umbrella of Stellaris Health. But New Castle officials have long complained that their town pays an unfair share of the total cost, about $1.5 million this year. Under the current formula, which is based on population and the value of the town's real estate, only Bedford pays more than New Castle.

The formula agreed to yesterday, which must be approved by the individual town and village boards, involves call volume and each town's square miles. The other municipalities in the consortium are Mount Kisco, Pound Ridge, Lewisboro, Somers and North Salem.

New Castle Supervisor Janet Wells said she thought the change made a substantial difference for New Castle. But that doesn't completely resolve the future of paramedic service in the town, an issue that is growing increasingly contentious between those who favor staying in the Stellaris consortium and those who think the town could get better response times for the same or even less money.

Wells has been investigating whether New Castle should withdraw from the consortium and contract separately for its own paramedic service. She has been concerned about response times to emergencies in the part of town served by Westchester EMS and has argued that having a paramedic service stationed in New Castle could make a meaningful difference in a life-and-death situation. Under the consortium, three fly cars cover all or part of the eight towns, with the closest to New Castle stationed in Mount Kisco. The part of New Castle west of the Taconic Parkway is served by paramedics from Ossining.

The New Castle Town Board recently asked for proposals from ambulance companies, and the responses are due April 6. The consortium's three-year contract is up this year, and New Castle has to notify the other towns by May 1 if it wants to withdraw.

Wells said the funding change agreed to yesterday makes the cost less of a glaring issue, but the town will still look at the bids from other companies.

"This just had to come first," she said.

The New Castle Town Board is divided over the wisdom of dropping Westchester EMS. Councilwoman Barbara Gerrard agreed last week that the funding formula was a little out of wack but she indicated she wouldn't support withdrawing unless a separate service cost a lot less. She argued that the technicians from the Chappaqua Volunteer Ambulance Service support staying in the consortium because of the high quality of the paramedics.

"They see how trained these people are," she said. "They see how dedicated they are."

Percentage of the total cost of paramedic service for eight northern Westchester towns in 2007 under the current formula

Bedford 19.5

Lewisboro 12.4

Mount Kisco 7.7

New Castle 18.3

North Castle 12.2

North Salem 5.4

Pound Ridge 6.7

Somers 17.7

Percentage under the new formula

Bedford 20

Lewisboro 12.5

Mount Kisco 8.3

New Castle 15.8

North Castle 11.4

North Salem 6.5

Pound Ridge 7

Somers 18.5

What a shame some people think this has been settled and view that as a good thing. We live in one of the wealthiest counties on the east coast and have a fragmented EMS system that could be run exponetially better if people would simply make decisions based on factual information rather than emotions and rumors.

So you are saying a county wide career EMS is what we need?

Or just better organization and VAC's with duty crews assigned around the clock?

Faster response ARE better and when a member of Chappaqua VAC actually makes the statement on television that New Castle is better off without dedicated paramedics and it's OK for someone to be in pain a little longer to wait for a paramedic is pathetic and it may be time for that individual to shred their card.

Your post is both disrespectful and completely out of context.

Nobody from CVAC (or any other VAC, I would hope) has ever said "it's OK for someone to be in pain a little longer." You just completely made that up, 100%.

As for the accusation that this member of CVAC should "shred their card," you could at least have the consideration to realize that a CVAC member would have better knowledge of the issue, and realize that you shouldn't pass judgement about others whom you probably don't know.

Edited by emtb23

Your post is both disrespectful and completely out of context.

Nobody from CVAC (or any other VAC, I would hope) has ever said "it's OK for someone to be in pain a little longer." You just completely made that up, 100%.

As for the accusation that this member of CVAC should "shred their card," you could at least have the consideration to realize that a CVAC member would have better knowledge of the issue, and realize that you shouldn't pass judgement about others whom you probably don't know.

The statement is on a taped Town Board meeting, get a copy and listen for yourself. no need to make things like that up.