Dover, DE- USAF C-5 Crash 4-3-06

16 posts in this topic

post-839-1144072158.jpg

post-839-1144072167.jpg

credit: WABC TV NY

post-839-1144072233.jpg

post-839-1144072241.jpg

credit: WABC TV NY

I couldn't believe the size of the aircraft when you see the CFR rig next to it.

Good airplane. Only 3 major incidents in 40 something years. Mid 70's after leaving Vietnam with orphans (Operation Baby Lift), crash after take off in Germany, and todays at Dover. Not a bad record. When the plane carries passengers they sit in the upstairs level at the rear of the aircraft facing the rear. Can carry up to 70 something passengers. Also interesting is the nose of the aircraft lifts to allow loading cargo from the front.

Giant C-5 military jet crashes in Delaware

No fatalities among 17 aboard, Air Force says

Monday, April 3, 2006; Posted: 11:35 a.m. EDT (15:35 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An Air Force C-5 cargo jet carrying 17 people crashed and broke into pieces Monday while trying to make an emergency landing near Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, Air Force and FAA officials said.

No one was killed, but several aboard were injured, Air Force Tech. Sgt. Melissa Phillips, a spokeswoman for the base, told The Associated Press.

Fourteen of the crew were taken to Bayhealth Medical Center-Kent General Hospital, according to hospital communications director Pam Marecki, all with non-life threatening injuries. Most will be released soon, she said, but some will be admitted.

Pentagon sources told CNN the aircraft "declared an in-flight emergency for a No. 2 engine flameout."

The C-5 jet, assigned to the 436th Air Wing at Dover AFB, was being operated by an Air National Guard unit, officials told CNN. (Watch how the plane cracked into three pieces -- 1:10)

The C-5 Galaxy, the largest aircraft in the U.S. military inventory, came down short of the runway at Dover about 6:30 a.m., the officials said.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the plane had taken off from Dover and crashed while attempting to return.

Television images showed the plane had broken into at least three pieces, with the cockpit separated at a right angle from the rest of the fuselage. The broken-off tail assembly was several hundred yards away, AP reported.

The military has 126 C-5s in its active and reserve inventory, according the Air Force's official Web site.

According to the Web site, globalsecurity.org, the crash was the fourth in the history of the C-5, which entered service in 1970. Three of the planes have been destroyed in ground fires.

The most famous of the C-5 crashes occurred in April 1975, when one of the giant jets carrying orphans out of Vietnam went down while trying to make an emergency landing in Saigon after a door lock failed in flight. The crash killed 138 of the 314 aboard, including 127 children, according to globalsecurity.org.

The C-5 can carry 270,000 pounds of cargo almost 2,500 miles on one load of fuel. The C-5's wingspan is 28 feet wider than a 747 and the military jet is 16 feet longer than the civilian airliner.

I'm trying to get more information on the crash from my friend who works with the C5's at Stewart Air National Guard Base. I will post if I find anything good out.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

Wow, the rigs next to it look like little Matchbox/Hot Wheel truck compared to that plane.

Here is a good comparison for the Rig size to the size of the plane. They often use C5's to transport firetrucks so just think about that one. I think I read somewhere that a C5 can fit 6 Firetrucks in it or something along those lines. So that should put it in perspective.

The Engines are the same size lol (or maybe that is a rescue that is in front of the wing, but who cares that would ruin the joke) (you have to read into that one a little)

Edited by Porsha911gt3

Here is a good comparison for the Rig size to the size of the plane. They often use C5's to transport firetrucks so just think about that one. I think I read somewhere that a C5 can fit 6 Firetrucks in it or something along those lines. So that should put it in perspective.

The first powered flight by the Wright brothers could have taken place inside of a C5A Galaxy. Height, width of the plane, and distance.

Just another useless bit of trivia for you guys!

It is a good thing to know the safety record of these planes, given that Dutchess Co. is directly under one flight pattern for inbound C5s to Stewart ANG Base in Orange County, home to the 105th Airlift Wing.

Stewart Air National Guard Base

The 105th Airlift Wing of the New York Air National Guard is based at Stewart Air National Guard Base. The former Stewart Air Force Base is also known as Newburgh-Stewart IAP and Stewart International Airport. Stewart IAP (ANG) is located in Newburgh, New York. It’s home to the 105th Airlift Wing whose mission is to provide peacetime and wartime inter-theater airlift operations using the C-5A “Galaxy” cargo aircraft. Newburgh is approximately 100 miles due south of Albany, the capital of New York State. The base encompasses 267 acres and contains 36 buildings, amounting to approximately 757,000 square feet. There is no family or transient housing. The day-to-day base population is approximately 660 personnel; however, one weekend each month the population surges to 1600 in response to Air National Guard drills.

The C-5 Aircrew Training System [ATS] provides assured aircrew ground training that is concurrent with the C-5 weapon system and its operating procedures. The ATS includes total contractor training with instructors, courseware, aircrew training devices (ATD), computer based training (CBT) and instructor based training (IBT). Training sites are located at Altus AFB OK, Dover AFB DE, Travis AFB CA, Westover ARB MA, Kelly AFB TX, and Stewart ANGB NY. A new basic contract was awarded to FlightSafety Services Corporation (FSSC), Englewood CO, on 5 May 1999. The basic contract delivered a new Weapon Systems Trainer (WST) to Stewart ANGB NY with spares.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

wow I hope every one is ok.

I've been inside one and believe me...

THEY'RE HUGE; dwarfing most every other plane ive been on including 747s

Glad to see everyone is ok

I've been inside one and believe me...

THEY'RE HUGE; dwarfing most every other plane ive been on including 747s

Same here I went in a C5 once and it was ridiculous, I could fit a few of my houses in one of those things.

post-839-1144118496.jpg

Trivia

The C-5 fuel load is almost equal to the gross weight of a C-141 Starlifter.

The rudder area is the same as the wing area on the F-104G aircraft.

The paint weighs 2,600 pounds (1,200 kilograms).

The C-5 contains more than 103 miles (165 km) of wire, 4 miles (6 km) of tubing, and 5 miles (8 km) of control cables.

Each tire wears down approximately 0.002 inch (0.05 mm) per landing.

Each engine total power output equals the power produced by 800 average automobiles combined.

The C-5 is also known as FRED (Filthy Ridiculous Economic/Environmental Disaster) by its crews

The Air Force expects to still be using C5s in the 2040s.

The C-5 aircraft can hold

277,000 twelve fluid ounce (355 ml) cans of beverage,

76,000 750 ml bottles of wine,

328,000,000 aspirin tablets,

2,400,000 golf balls,

1,000,000 ping pong balls,

6 Greyhound buses,

3 M1 Abrams battle tanks (although it can only take off with two, and typically carries only one with support equipment), or

Enough fuel for the average American car to make 130 round trips from Los Angeles to New York, or to make 31 trips around the world.

source: wikipedia.org

lucky for the crew and passengers! the tail section is 7 storys high thats why we have a ladder truck at stewart. crash happened prior to roll call/ shift change so manpower was not an issue and the fact that none of the fuel burn't made a big difference in this crash. they did have a full load of fuel and cargo so they were indeed real lucky!!!!

If anyone goes down Rt 1 in Delaware toward the base you can these giant planes from the road. Its amazing how these things get off the ground. In the picture I noticed the apparatus, you had DAFB fire/rescue with their two crews and you had Dover Ladder 2 which is a 1992 Pierce. Dover FD is first due on most alarms around the base. I hope the condition of the people on board improves. They were all lucky to walk away from this incident.