Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x648eng119

LODD: Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio - Franklin Twp NJ

22 posts in this topic

Young firefighter killed in four-alarm fire

21-year-old Kevin Appuzio died trying to save an elderly resident

WABC

(Franklin Township - WABC, April 11, 2006) - A 21-year-old firefighter died after being trapped the basement of a blazing home in Franklin, N.J., while attempting to rescue an elderly resident.

Newscopter Seven is live over the scene.

Officials tell Eyewitness News Kevin Appuzio, a volunteer with the East Franklin Fire Company and a paid firefighter for Rutgers University, was covered in soot when he was pulled form the basement of of 36 Whittier Avenue just after 7:30 a.m. He was rushed to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, where he was pronounced dead.

Appuzio apparently fell into the basement during an interior collapse of the blazing Cape Cod-style home. He was trapped for 90 minutes while the house burned above him.

The firefighter was attempting to rescue a 75-year-old female resident when he died. Her condition was not immediately known.

Firefighters with the Community Volunteer Fire Company in Franklin were hoisting a flag at half-staff earlier today in honor of their fallen comrade.

Appuzio also was a Rutgers student, according to Community member Lt. Tom Hannan, who worked with Appuzio at Rutgers on the 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. shift.

"He was a young and eager guy. His future was ahead of him," Hannan said. "He loved eveything about fires and firefighting."

Three other firefighters were injured during the firefighting efforts. Their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

(Copyright 2006 WABC-TV)

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of FF Appuzio taken from them at such a young age. There never are enough words to describe such a loss.

My condolences to the Franklin Township, Somerset Co. and New Jersey firefighting family. May he rest in peace.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of FF Appuzio taken from them at such a young age. There never are enough words to describe such a loss.

My condolences to the Franklin Township, Somerset Co. and New Jersey firefighting family. May he rest in peace.

What a tradegy. May he rest in peace. Heaven's ranks of the bravest has gone up once again.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

May God be with him and his family in this time of anguish.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family and his FD.

You never want to hear of something like this. This is extremely sad.

Edited by KFD236

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family but let me ask a question what was he doing in thier for 90 min didn't anybody go looking for him

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family but let me ask a question what was he doing in thier for 90 min didn't anybody go looking for him

I could be wrong, but if i remember from the TV news story it was because they had a hard time getting to him.

First let me say that my thoughts and prayers are with this young man, his family and his brothers at the East Franklin Fire Co.

My girlfriend goes to school at Rutgers, which is in New Brunswick. East Franklin borders New Brunswick and they work together quite often. A friend of my girlfriends' is a NBPD officer and vollies with one of the companies in Franklin Township and was at this tragic fire. There a several companies within this township, all of which are very well trained and prepared, not to mention busy! They are a great group of guys and from what i was told, FF Appuzio was no exception. From what i hear, he was a very enthusiastic & aggressive FF who was always taking fire/ems courses to better himself.

May FF Kevin Appuzio forever rest in peace and keep a watchful eye over his brother firemen.

jamboreflh...As 648 stated, FF's were forced back by heavy fire conditions and were unable to get in to conduct a search right away. Keep in mind, the floor collapsed beneath these FF's, so obviously the integrity of the structure was already going to s**t.

Such a horrible tragedy. These guys put it all on the line and made a valient effort to rescue this woman and unfortunately one of them lost his life, as well as the victim.

What a tradegy. May he rest in peace. Heaven's ranks of the bravest has gone up once again.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

please post the arangments ir anybody gets them

very tough loss for fire dept. I feel bad for the family and the dept, and to die at a young age 21 years old is tragic. I pray for the famliy of Kevin Apuzzio may he rest in peace. He died saving a mans life who also died in the fire, he was a brave firefighter for doing what he did making the ultimate sacrafice.

RIP Brother My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his brothers from Station 27 East Franklin and his family Such a tradgic event. Funeral services can be found at station27.com. All the information is there. They were within mere inches from exiting the structure when the floor went in. The guys who had her by the upper body their butts were out the front door and Apuzzio and another brother were within inches from the door.

The reason it took 90mins to get to him was that the interior walls and floor all went in trrapping him. Another brother was holding on to him preventing him from falling into the basement for a while and was burned on his arm. He held onto him as long as he could and could not do anything more. Of what I heard it went from bad to worse in a matter of seconds. They said the floor did not feel spongy at all while they were making their way into the house doing there primary search. The same day of the fire East Franklin was put OOS for the day and night and my fire department went there to cover there response area and we were up the whole night just talking to them about every about Kevin and the fire and what happened

RIP Kevin Apuzzio 1984-2006

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, his friends, and his department. I know how it feels to lose a fellow firefighter in your community. RIP :)

Funeral arrangements for Firefighter Kevin Apuzzio can be found at the New Jersey State Firemen's Mutual Benevolent Association website. This site includes details for emergency service organizations, extended family, and anyone else wishing to honor Kevins memory by attending the wake and funeral next week. This site is being updated regularly and will reflect the most current information available about the services. Fire Departments are asked to wear Class A uniforms. Emergency Service Organizations that have previously RSVP'd with the New Brunswick FD are asked to now follow instructions on the website above.

We need your help. Organizations and individuals wishing to make donations may download this PDF document to get information on contributing to a memorial fund in Kevin’s name.

Thank you all for your continued patience and support as we coordinate these details. taken from www.station27.com

My prayers to the Family and Follow Firefighter Other Emergency Workers at the Fire Scene

IT Is sad to see a Firefighter LODD and even more so when they are so Young

RIP FF Kevin Apizzio

Governor honors firefighter hero

Home News Tribune Online 04/14/06

Gov. Jon. S. Corzine signed an executive order yesterday in honor of East Franklin firefighter Kevin Apuzzio.

Corzine is calling for American and New Jersey flags throughout the state to fly at half-staff on Tuesday, the day of Apuzzio's funeral.

Apuzzio died in a fire in Franklin April 11 while attempting to rescue 75-year-old Betty Scott.

A funeral service for Apuzzio is being held 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at St. Michael's R.C. Church in Union.

Following the service, a private procession limited to family and select emergency services personnel will take Apuzzio to Mount Olive Cemetery in Newark.

Apuzzio was born in Elizabeth and attended Union Catholic High School in Scotch Plains. He was a senior at Rutgers University, studying criminal justice.

There, Apuzzio joined the Rutgers Emergency Services Department. He was a firefighter with the East Franklin Volunteer Fire Company since August 2003.

Corzine's order read, "Kevin Apuzzio's selfless devotion to public service and the protection of others makes him a hero and a true role model for all New Jerseyans."

My prayers go out to ff Apuzzio and all of his family; both home and firehouse. May everyone take comfort in knowing he gave all trying to save a life. RIP Brother.

May he rest in peace.

post-839-1145381109.jpg

WABC TV NY

I attended the wake services for FF Appuzio last night and i must say that i was blown away at the number of people, especially Fire-EMS-PD members, that were in attendance. I also know that the family was very greatful for the turn-out as well.

There were MOS from all over New Jersey, New York (including FDNY membes) and some from even further. Deputy Chief Billy Goldfeder of the Loveland-Symmes FD in Ohio, who is also a contributing editor of Firehouse magazine, among others, was also in attendance to pay his respects.

It was a truly touching service for such a brave, young man.

May Kevin rest in peace - my thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and brother firefighters.

Rest in Peace

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends, family, and FD

REST IN PEACE

The firefighting community lost a true hero.

My condolences to his friends, family and follow firefighters

The Fireman's Prayer

"When I am called to duty, God, wherever flames may rage;

Give me the strength to save some life, whatever be it's age.

Help me embrace a little child before it is to late;

Or save an older person from the horrors of that fate.

Enable me to be alert, and hear the weakest shout,

and quickly and efficiently put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me;

To guard my every neighbor and protect his property.

And if according to Your will I am to give my life,

Please bless with Your protecting hand,

My children and my wife."

-Author Unknown

Edited by bvfdjc316

My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest In Peace