Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONLOCATION

Class D Extinguishers

14 posts in this topic

I was just wondering, who's department has and carries Class D Extinguishers? I have heard a few times over the past couple of years of actual mutal aid Calls for one. I wouldn't mind seeing one on my Engine, am trying to see if that could hopefully soon be a reality.

We've had METL-X Class D extinguishers on our rigs for as long as I can remember, certainly going back to 1990. We have at least five 30 pound extinguishers on various apparatus, as well as spares in the station.

We've got them on both our new rigs. The only problem is there are precious few chances to use them. You need the material to be exposed and accessible. Extinguishment is achieved only after the burning material is completely and thouroughly covered with agent (Heat from a fire causes the dry powder agent to cake and form a crust excluding air and dissipating the heat from the burning metal). if you've all ready applied water forget about using the stuff. Besides, when in doubt just dump water on it...a whole lot of water.

Edited by ny10570

Should be standard to carry them on all trucks. You'll wish you had one when you find out that the Classic VW Bug that the car enthusiast (spelling is wrong) owns had a Magnisium engine block. :P

Happened to me and we didn't have one, was I supprised!

Should be standard to carry them on all trucks.  You'll wish you had one when you find out that the Classic VW Bug that the car enthusiast (spelling is wrong) owns had a Magnisium engine block.  :P

Happened to me and we didn't have one, was I supprised!

Both our engines carry one. Heavy suckers but good to have when needed.

Bedford hills has got a class D on both of our engines, the tuck, and i think the rescue...maybe its on the MA, I can't totaly remember. I can only remember 1 carfire where we needed it. Has anyone ever had to use it on anything other then a car fire? Im sure IBM has some things that would make the class D look like gold compaired to water

Before my departure south of the Mason Dixon....

Rescue 36 had a 30lb "D"

Engine 247 had a CO2 cartridge propelled "D" that was quite old but was certified by AAA.

E248 had a 30lb "D" that was delivered with it in 2004 but I can't recall if it was mounted or not.

lets not forget about the class "K'' extinguishers,these are important when it comes to trying to put out a deep fryer fire. we have them on all the rigs in MV and yes they have been used!!!

ok, another question. Its not required to be equipped with one to be classified as a Class "A" Engine is it? I don't believe so but just checking.

ok, another question. Its not required to be equipped with one to be classified as a Class "A" Engine is it? I don't believe so but just checking.

Not a definitive source, but I did find this definition of class A (which is similar to what I had previously heard:

A Class A pumper delivers it's rated capacity at 150PSI, 75% at 200PSI,

and 50% at 250PSI.  I don't think it has anything to do with equipment

on board (this goes to the NFPA standard, I believe).

Class B pumps delivered (if memory serves) their capacity at 120PSI.  I

don't remember the remainder.  I don't think any manufacturer has made

any apparatus with a Class B pump in a long time.

The NFPA 1901, requires 1 dry chem and 1 water extinguisher only. It also requires some other cool things like salvage covers (that we dont use).

Briarcliff Manor - Engine 92 carries a class D.

Why don't you use salvage covers?

To be a class A pumper you have to have if I remember correctly and I'll check, a pump rated for over 1000 GPM.

Class D extinguishers are not required under NFPA 1901.

My department doesn't carry them, most of the places that deal with flammable metals will have them. Other then the occassional car fire with flammable metals, we don't see it often and even those go out eventually with enough water or the fuel burns off.

Anyone out there carrying a Class K?

Covering the MTA / Metro-North Industrial yard has been the main reason for many of the things we do and the things we carry. All three of our Engines have a Class D on them. I've used it once at a call and once in training. Both times in the Harmon Yards.

As for Class K, it is something that's been discussed but we have yet to purchase. If I am not mistaking, Montrose has them on thier rigs. I would like to get them on our Engines, perhaps this year......hint hint. :o