Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Mack-Sutphen Pumper

15 posts in this topic

IzzyEng4 had brought up in a prior topic thread that Sutphen had built a pumper with a Mack Tranny and Motor under what was supposed to be a new manufacturing agreement. The agreement went no where and the result was one piece of apparatus being built to my knowledge. Some form of legal battle over the rig and it's labeling ensued.

If the picture didn't attach to this post, go to this link. You can't miss it.

http://www.centralpafire.com/forum/showthr...hp?t=98&page=69

While I was in college, my department was the first due truck and rescue into the companys box who bought this truck from Sutphen. Pictures have been hard to come by, but here it is. I'm not sure if the Bulldog and the Mack emblem are still on the front of the rig.

The department is in Pennsylvania... Adams County Company 25... They also run a Mack CF600 Engine (Formerly Engine 25, now Engine 25-1 with the addition of the Sutphen-Mack which is Engine 25-2) they've also got a Mack R Model Tanker an a Ford F-series light rescue (called a Special Unit as a county label)

post-163-1147058336.jpg

I remember the promo picture of this truck and it was a daek red with a white top originally. Unfortunately I cannot find the picture I had with Mr. Sutpehn sitting on the bumper. MFC thanks for the photo!

Izzy

I remember the promo picture of this truck and it was a daek red with a white top originally.  Unfortunately I cannot find the picture I had with Mr. Sutpehn sitting on the bumper.  MFC thanks for the photo!

Izzy

The rig was probably purchased cheap from Sutphen in "as is" condition white over red. It was most likely painted green by a former chief of the Heidlersburg FD in PA who has an extensive heavy truck shop where he has the east coast body repair contract for Roadway Trucking as well as National Trucking. He also runs a small fire apparatus manufacturing company out of the same shop. He does a ton of custom work as well as retro fits rigs with enclosed cabs, larger rescue style bodies put on older pumpers, etc. He also restors antiques.... He did Millwoods Brockway for me while I was down there in the mid 1990's at school (not cheap though) and he's in the middle of doing my B-model now although he's had it for two years.

Nice truck....different....but nice....I wish there was one in our area so I would be able to check it out

Looks good. I hope you have better luck with the Sutphen part of that rig than we did. Dealing with Sutphen EAST was a nightmare.

Nice truck....different....but nice....I wish there was one in our area so I would be able to check it out

Well its the only one made....... Never will see another one.

Bring back Mack, Maxim, Hahn and Young!

COMMANDCHIEF and I were both dealing with Sutphen East around the same time. It's like we'd talk and they would hear Greek coming from out mouths.

My old college department of Gettysburg, PA just south of where this Sutphen/Mack was put in service has a 2004 Sutphen Engine/Rescue as Rescue 1 and just took delivery of a brand new Sutphen Engine as Engine 1-1. They heard that Sutphen East sucked (which they do)... And had the trucks built in the western facility. They've been THRILLED. Every other Sutphen in the county is rock solid too. They were all built out west.

Finally.... The entire Orlando FD fleet for thirty years has been Sutphens. But guess what they're all made out west. Engines, Towers, Heavy Rescue, Hazmat. The headquarters station is directly outside of my office window 16 stories below. They turn a Tower, two Engines, Heavy Rescue, Hazmat, Dive Team, and Ambulance out of that station all day long and they love their Sutphens. The entire fleet consists of over 25 Sutphens including spares and they continue to buy them....

Edited by mfc2257

If only that truck where red it would be SUPER HOT!!!

If only that truck where red it would be SUPER HOT!!!

I'll see if I still have that old picture of it whenit was dark red and white.

Syracuse, NY is also quite fond of their Sutphen towers, and also has a long history with them.

Sorry for the poor quality, but here it is at the Harrisburg Expo back in 2000 on a rainy day.

Jeff

post-3870-1148492708.jpg

That truck is definately sweet, even though its green! I love Macks, although not a big fan of Sutphen. We have a 1998 Sutphen/International and we hate it! We'd rather replace that next before our 1991 Pierce!

I'm with Izzy.....bring back the oldies but goodies! Mack, Maxim, Hahn & Young! Our 1969 Young/GMC kicked a$$ and still does (although we sold it to Columbian Engine Co. of Peekskill).

I'd hazard a guess at saying that the Mack/Sutphen (well refer to is a Half Breed) Red Demo is not the same unit/Truck as the Green unit. My reasoning would be based on Compartment handles in different locations, docking lights on one rear wheek well versus other, one unit having a tail board hand rail with spots versus the other. Thats just pointing out a few. There are also a few other ( I've counted atleast 12) things that are different on the exterior. Yes all of these things can be done post purchase, or through refurbishment but based on the years of these units ? Why ?

I'm throwing the possibility out there that their are two of the Half Breed prototypes running around America.

I'd hazard a guess at saying that the Mack/Sutphen (well refer to is a Half Breed) Red Demo is not the same unit/Truck as the Green unit. My reasoning would be based on Compartment handles in different locations, docking lights on one rear wheek well versus other, one unit having a tail board hand rail with spots versus the other. Thats just pointing out a few. There are also a few other ( I've counted atleast 12) things that are different on the exterior. Yes all of these things can be done post purchase, or through refurbishment but based on the years of these units ? Why ?

I'm throwing the possibility out there that their are two of the Half Breed prototypes running around America.

This is the only truck that was built by Sutphen with the Mack engine, tranny and emblems. It was refurbished before being sold. I know that for a fact due to the lawsuit filed by Mack against Sutphen for trying to sell it as a Mack Truck, which only the engine and drive train is Mack. They only made this one and never created a second. This was a big hum-to-due back in the early 90's in the truck industry. All the modifications were made when the truck was red still. I had a couple of pictures of it that I'm trying to find and it showed the original, posted here and then after the modification. (Which also had some sheet metal covering up the MACK on the grill) Hopefully I can find them.