Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Next Big Fire Equipment Breakthrough?

14 posts in this topic

We've seen a lot of new equipment breakthrough and proliferate the fire service over recent years. Such equipment that is now almost standard on a first due apparartus and the personel riding on it includes thermal imaging camera, bunker gear, AED's, LED lighting, and intergrated PASS alerts

What do you think the next big breakthrough in fire equipment will be, and why?

I think the next breakthrough equipment to become standard on first due apparatus will be Class A foam/CAFS. Although the fire service is traditionally resisiting this for a lot of different reasons, I think technology and experience will show this chemical to make putting out fires quicker and easier. A lot of departments carry a small tank of foam on their first due, but that foam is hardly used. Here is an every day foam.

The other product I see becoming commonplace is GPS locator devices for ScottPacks, with remote monitoring for air pressure, working duration, etc. This can be a valuable tool for the IC, and one piece of fancy technology that can actually be put to legitamate use.

Good forward thinking brother. I think some of the options you speak of on the SCBA's are available from some manufacturers. Not all integrated from bits and pieces I've heard and read but they are available.

I think another overhaul in airpak frame design will keep coming also. With many of the manuevers we perform, I think perhaps in the future you will see models where the straps come between the legs also for safety. As well as smaller, lower profile lightweight models for better functionality.

How about video cameras mounted on the rigs that could aid in documenting actions taken on the incident ground especially when you furst pull up. Could be a handy tool to aid the C/O team with investigations.

We have all this new equipment to keep us safer- Nomex, Kevlar, rescue harnesses,etc., I hope the next great inovation in the fire service is some type of personal cooling system. The equipment we wear and carry has got heavier, has no breathability, and we have less firefighters on the rigs to do more work, somthing has to give.

Most of our fire apparatus has A/C, but once we step away from the rig, our bodies are heating up. Cooling vests are used in NASCAR, and used in Hazmat Ops under level A suits. Maybe these vests could be designed for us to use? Maybe this vest could be integrated into our PPE.

There is a reason why our fire service losses over 100 firefighters a year, with the main cause being heart attacks. Although more needs to be done by us on the physical fitness end, we need better gear to take into account what I listed above.

Until then, the Incident Commanders who lead our fire fights must remember that we are not super human. We have limitations and they need to adjust their tactics to allow us to operate safer.

Not to toot my own horn, but up here at school I am actually in the process of developing a new technology that will hopefully be applied to Scott pack air bottles. I really do not want to say what it is, because I am working on a patent for it and if the idea got out, then that would not be too good for me. I came up with this idea a few months back, and researched it and did not find any mention of the idea, but if all things go well, you may be wearing it in a few years :)

i heard that they are going to have robots that put the fires out for us...

this means that we will no longer have jobs :)

The other product I see becoming commonplace is GPS locator devices for ScottPacks, with remote monitoring for air pressure, working duration, etc. This can be a valuable  tool for the IC, and one piece of fancy technology that can actually be put to legitamate use.

GPS isn't accurate enough (especially vertically) for effective use in structural firefighting. Worchester Polytech is working on a radio location system using antenna's mounted on the fire apparatus. Then as more vehicles arrive and are positioned around the scene the locations become more accurate in all three dimenssions. With as few as three vehicles you can have positions down to within 3ft. There are even portable recievers that can be used at larger incidents or taller buildings. If the building is mapped ahead of time you superimpose the locations over images of the floor plan. If the building isn't mapped the system tracks paths of travel used and develops an image of accessable areas. Its very impressive and should be rolling within the next 5 yrs.

i heard that they are going to have robots that put the fires out for us...

this means that we will no longer have jobs :lol:

Japan already has them.

I would like more Cushion in my bunker Pants For My knees!

i think equipment will continue to get lighter, also, i heard that streamlight was starting to make led survivors.

We have all this new equipment to keep us safer- Nomex, Kevlar, rescue harnesses,etc. The equipment we wear and carry has got heavier, has no breathability

Nomex and Kevlar are hardly new, they've been around since the 70s. Also, our equipment has gotten lighter and lighter over the years, not heavier. Turnout gear weight is way down with outer shells made from PBI and thinner, yet more effective moisture and thermal barriers. Also, more attention is paid to the cut and fit, eliminating excess material that serves no beneficial purpose, but does add quite a bit of weight (so called short cut commando style or tail style coats, as an example). By the same token, they are also much more breathable, especially with Crosstech moisture barriers. Compared to the standard Nomex outer shell and extremely heavy and non-breathable Nomex Batt liners of not so long ago, turnout gear is practically featherweight at this point. SCBA weight is also way down over just a decade ago. The newer ergonomically designed aluminum frames and featherweight composite bottles, compared to the old wire frame and steel bottles, are a dream to wear. I do agree that some sort of cooling vest would be something worth looking into though.

I don't think it will be long before we see some kind of thermal imaging display interfaced in our SCBA masks. Perhaps a small sensor mounted to the mask with the electronics on the airpack frame, then the image can be projected inside the mask as a heads-up display. You would, of course, be able to turn it on and off as needed.

the items discussed here could certainly help our profession, but is going to pay for these innovations? the bush administration cut the Assitance to Firefighters Grant by 50% and did not fund the SAFER act. roughly the same number of cops died last year as firefighters but police depts were funded with billions of federal dollars. the fire service recieved $545 million(this includes 9/11 and katrina funds)

With all of the talk about gadgets and gizmos, I think the fire service as a whole needs to stop and re-evaluate. All of the toys and all of the grant money in the universe will not save the life of one firefighter. Firefighters die fighting fires, not at haz mat incidents or rope jobs, at fires... we need to step back and get firefighters trained to stay alive at fires and perform their basic functions on the fireground. Learn your job, everyday.

With all of the talk about gadgets and gizmos, I think the fire service as a whole needs to stop and re-evaluate.  All of the toys and all of the grant money in the universe will not save the life of one firefighter.  Firefighters die fighting fires, not at haz mat incidents or rope jobs, at fires...

I honestly couldn't disagree more. All these innovations DO make our job safer and save lives. Better materials for turnout gear protect us better and are lighter, reducing stress. Same with SCBA. The #1 killer of firefighters? Heart attacks related to stress. So I'm not sure how anyone can say improvements to our "toys" don't directly impact life safety. Incidentally, firefighters don't just die fighting fires. There have been plenty of deaths and serious injuries involving non-fire incidents, most notably and tragically while responding. If a department has access to grant money, they can purchase newer and better equipment, so that also has a direct impact on saving firefighter's lives.

we need to step back and get firefighters trained to stay alive at fires and perform their basic functions on the fireground.  Learn your job, everyday.

Now that I DO agree with, but it's not just limited to actual fires. Training should touch on every aspect of the job, especially the "routine" calls we take for granted. Yes, probably the most dangerous aspect of the job is actual interior structural firefighting, so training for those situations should be a priority, but not at the expense of neglecting something else.

Edited by res6cue

While a big fan of new gadgets and gizmos I think the fire service's biggest challenge now and in years to come is cost effective buidling construction and materials. I truly believe it may completely change the face of the service - already our ICs have abandoned some roof operations due to the ever-so-popular lightweight truss work. I guess my point, in trying to stay on topic, is that maybe instead of seeking grant money that helps us buy new gadgets we should push for more lobbying that allows us more political leverage in demanding safer buidling construction.....fat chance I know... but the fire service is a fading force in the world of politics - whereas our cousins (the PD) is very much a strong and vocal bunch.....hence the reason for the strong federal outpouring of $$$ for them.