Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester Fire Awards

8 posts in this topic

Recently, I realized something. It seems to me our brothers and sisters in PD and EMS deservingly have annual awards, but is there any type of Westchester Fire Service awards? I'm aware many departments have local events, but there is nothing countywide as far as I'm aware.

I think this is an annual event/celebration we could hold on a countywide level. We could have categories like Firefighter of the year, company of the year, Incident Commander of the year, Rescue of the year, Dispatcher of the year, Incident of the year, Instructor of the year, Best fire prevention/codes program, etc etc, with nomination and judging by our peers.

Now, I'm completly aware that we don't do it for the awards, nor do any of us expect it. But, NYC and numerous other departments have medals days and the such. I think this would go a long way to prmoting camraderie and unity on the countywide level.

Do any other surrounding counties have something like this?

The closest thing you speak of would be the Westchester Volunteer Fireman's Association's annual meeting and awards ceremony. In 2004 three Somers firefighters received firefigher of the year along with a Village of Mamaroneck firefighter. They also give out numerous other awards as well.

The only time I've known anything to happen from Westchester County is when they give out certificates of appreciation for statewide mutual aid. This doesn't happen often as far as I'm aware. It might have happened for Westchesters response to 9/11. I've received a certificate from the county for responding to the upstate ice storm in 1998.

i think that maybe there needs to be like a Medal Day like the one in NYC. You can get medals for things that merit it. I mean it can also go away from fire scene actions, like fire department related community service and things like that. i know that people get service awards and such but those can be done at the local level. for people who get Rescue citations and Meritous Actions awards, that should be done on the county level. if anyones else has any idea on that feel free to share

I think this is a great idea. I know on some of the more serious calls in the County they would give you a proclamation letter. But I can never remember anything like this countywide. I think every department does it in house, but a countywide thing, like EMS and PD would be great.

medal day- I see some guys in westchester county with more ribbons on their dress blues than a 25 yr member of some of the busiest companys in fdny, i must have missed some of the fires/rescues posted here on EMT BRAVO!!???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by hudson144

You'll never see Boston FFs. wearing any ribbons. They'll tell you straight out it's their job.

there's nothing county wide. The only awards are in each department and in the different associations: HUdson valley, Fasny, and Westchester County Firemans Associations. Your Chief has to submit a letter for recognition and it goes to the committee and they vote on it. But nothing for more then one deserving member of a department. It would be a great idea if we had this though. It would really boost moral in the fire service all together.