Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yfd910

New Rochelle Fire test and scoring procedure.....

19 posts in this topic

One of my good friends took the NRFD test on Saturday. I know from past experience that if you pass the written, you're invited to take the physical in September (plus, the proctors all said "see you in Sept" as testtakers left the room).

My question is: Does anyone know, accurately, (not I think, or maybe) how they grade and make their list?? Is it a combo of written and physical, just physical, or some other crazy way of doing things??

Thanks.

Joe

pass written get invited to physical..grades should arrive sometime in August(past procedures)

practice physical in september (highly recommended) actual physical usually 2nd and 3rd weekend in october new list to superceed old list on or around January 27th 2007 priority is given to RESIDENTS of New Rochelle as a residency list is established 1st. after all residents who pass are established in number order then the NON-RESIDENT list starts

50% written 50% physical

physical as every other city consists of timed events and every 1/10 of a second counts simple math you do well on the written and are in excellent shape and do extremely well on the physical you should place in top 5 and with any luck you will be hired in the spring and Join a PREMIER DEPARTMENT

hope this helps

10-8 IS CORRECT----REMEMBER EACH OF THE NAMED CITIES IN THE VULCAN SUIT BASICALLY MADE A DIFFENT AGREEMENT IN THEIR CONSENT DECREE. SOME AVERAGE THE SCORE WHILE OTHERS HAVE PASS THE WRITEN AND THE WHOLE MARK IS ON THE AGILITY. HOWEVER 10-8 DISCRIBES THE NEW ROCHELLE SITUATION VERY WELL AND THAT IS THE WAY HIRING HAS BEEN DONE FOR 25 YEARS OR MORE, THE AVERAGE OF BOTH SCORES ON WRITTEN AND AGILITY.

10-8 IS CORRECT----REMEMBER EACH OF THE NAMED CITIES IN THE VULCAN SUIT BASICALLY MADE A DIFFENT AGREEMENT IN THEIR CONSENT DECREE. SOME AVERAGE THE SCORE WHILE OTHERS HAVE PASS THE WRITEN AND THE WHOLE MARK IS ON THE AGILITY. HOWEVER 10-8 DISCRIBES THE NEW ROCHELLE SITUATION VERY WELL AND THAT IS THE WAY HIRING HAS BEEN DONE FOR 25 YEARS OR MORE, THE AVERAGE OF BOTH SCORES ON WRITTEN AND AGILITY.

yes I agree with you snotty...

I know for sure that mount vernon and white plains is pass or fail everyone who passes gets a 70% and is measured on how well they do on the physical and this was in part of the Vulcan decree

and by the way I know it sounds weird but I just noticed that you joined the board slightly ahead of me. you are one number ahead on the same day!

Thanks for your replies men.

I don't know how they do things in Yonkers and wasn't sure how they do things in the other cities, but it sounds pretty much the same.

Do you know how they score the physical? Do they add up the times, each induvidual agility, and then combine them??

Thanks again

Joe

FDNR and YFD are the only two cities that stood their ground and didn't sell out to the Vulcan Decree, drastically lowering their standards. Best of luck to anyone who takes their tests. ;)

The YFD is under a consent decree also. I know its differant for every city but it is in effect in Yonkers. YFD's applies more to the written and getting people qualified to take the physical.

Thanks for your replies men.

I don't know how they do things in Yonkers and wasn't sure how they do things in the other cities, but it sounds pretty much the same.

Do you know how they score the physical? Do they add up the times, each induvidual agility, and then combine them??

Thanks again

Joe

I am not 110% on this but I am pretty sure that you are graded on all the events combined with a total time for all.

(I.E.)hose pull 18:20 plus stair climb 42:10 plus donut lift 15:33 plus monkey bars 11:41 etc... equals a total of 87:04 or 1:27:04 and that gets graded amongst all who took the physical then they average it in with the written to come up with a total grade and placement on the list.

Thats why it is very important to do well on both the written and the physical and for those who scored a couple of points lower on the written may be able to make up a few on the physical

The YFD is under a consent decree also.  I know its differant for every city but it is in effect in Yonkers.  YFD's applies more to the written and getting people qualified to take the physical.

I took both White Plains and Yonkers tests in previous years. White plains told me I'd passed and invited me to the practice physical then told me I wouldn't take the real physical as I didn't have residency.

I took the Yonkers test (and was pretty much laughed at when I applied as I didn't have residency) and never heard back again! I also took the County test but couldn't afford to take any of the jobs on the money they were offering.

Guess I'll just stick to volleying :(

! I also took the County test but couldn't afford to take any of the jobs on the money they were offering.

Guess I'll just stick to volleying  :(

?????????????????????????

I also took the County test but couldn't afford to take any of the jobs on the money they were offering.

It's no secret what career FF's make, didn't you do any research before you took the test? Anyway if its the salary that makes your decision on whether to become a career guy or not maybe you should just stick to being a vollie. It's not about the money!

I also took the County test but couldn't afford to take any of the jobs on the money they were offering.

On the employment application, there is usually something called the "salary range". It normally precedes the "general description of duties" and "residency requirements" descriptions on the application.

Ex: City of Hicksville

Position: Fire Fighter

Salary Range: 32,000-55,000 annually

Since salaries are set by the CBA, they are not negotiable for the individual employee (regardless of how much previous experience they claim to have).

What you see is what you get. If what is printed on the application does not interest you, then move on to the next application. There are hundreds of other prospects that will be more than happy to apply.

Edited by x152

I took both White Plains and Yonkers tests in previous years. White plains told me I'd passed and invited me to the practice physical then told me I wouldn't take the real physical as I didn't have residency.

I took the Yonkers test (and was pretty much laughed at when I applied as I didn't have residency) and never heard back again! I also took the County test but couldn't afford to take any of the jobs on the money they were offering.

Hey Monty take this how you want!

I can speak probably for about 95% of my job in saying if it's about the money then we really don't want you on our job anyway.

We are looking for fellas who want to fight fires regardless of pay, and every job out there starts low and increases each year! It's about putting in your hard time and making things work even if it takes working 2-3 other jobs on your time off.

Look at the guys who take the Mount Vernon job, start w/ 23k a year and go up gradually to around 32k a year for the first 4 years and then hit top pay after that

That's a struggle but they still have guys taking the test knowing this!

Edited by 10-8

Pretty neet that every town and village called him for the job. I guess the "brothers" behind him were happy he turned it down :rolleyes:

I can speak probably for about 95% of my job in saying if it's about the money then we really don't want you on our job anyway.

We are looking for fellas who want to fight fires regardless of pay, and every job out there starts low and increases each year! It's about putting in your hard time and making things work even if it takes working 2-3 other jobs on your time off.

Look at the guys who take the Mount Vernon job, start w/ 23k a year and go up gradually to around 32k a year for the first 4 years and then hit top pay after that

No Problem.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If I was around, and thought about it when I got out of school a salary like that (23K) would be great. But when you have a family, house payments, taxes etc (and 10yrs+ work experience) - it just doesn't cut it. Obviously, you don't do this job for the money - that's why so many have second or third jobs. Incidentally, my second job is Firefighting.

At this point it's irrelevant - I can't change the system (I can just whine on message boards :D). Maybe if I save enough, or win big in Vegas or something, I can join a department as a hobby. Although even then, there will probably be guys / gals that don't want me around!

I'm glad it's working for you - next time around I'll know to start this game earlier :P

No Problem.

Maybe if I save enough, or win big in Vegas or something, I can join a department as a hobby. Although even then, there will probably be guys / gals that don't want me around!

I thought "volleying" was a hobby.

Like so manyhave said... you don't do this job for the money.

But the salaries that most of the Westchester County departments offer is ridiculous (with the exception of WPFD and YFD).

I took and passed the WPFD exam, went to the "preactice" agility and then got the "Dear Candidate, Thanks but no thanks" letter because I live in Tarrytown.

I did not bother with the YFD because everyone knows how strict they are about residency.

I also took the last County exam and got a 92.

I ended up expanding my search... because I knew what I wanted to do... be a Professional Firefighter.

And got hired in Henrico County, VA with a starting salary of +/-$38K.

The cost of living (housing) is markedly lower and for the past year and a half I have been splitting a house with another FF and comuting back to Westchester every two or three weeks.

I just started getting my canvassing letters this week, and HOPEFULLY will be able to come home next year!

-cmc-

Wow, I can't believe everyone is jumping all over this guy! All he is saying is that while he would like to be a paid FF, it is not altogether reasonable to force residency for a low paying job in a region where the AVERAGE home price is over 700k! It's not like you can even commute from a more reasonably priced region due to these residency restrictions! Do any of you critics have families to support? Do you all live with Mom and Dad? Inherit your home? A lot of unwarranted hostility there!

Edited by adlere21

Like so manyhave said... you don't do this job for the money.

But the salaries that most of the Westchester County departments offer is ridiculous (with the exception of WPFD and YFD).

I took and passed the WPFD exam, went to the "preactice" agility and then got the "Dear Candidate, Thanks but no thanks" letter because I live in Tarrytown.

I did not bother with the YFD because everyone knows how strict they are about residency.

I also took the last County exam and got a 92.

I ended up expanding my search... because I knew what I wanted to do... be a Professional Firefighter.

And got hired in Henrico County, VA with a starting salary of +/-$38K.

The cost of living (housing) is markedly lower and for the past year and a half I have been splitting a house with another FF and comuting back to Westchester every two or three weeks.

I just started getting my canvassing letters this week, and HOPEFULLY will be able to come home next year!

-cmc-

Not to drag this on, but I scored higher on the WC test and received several canvasssing letters a couple of years back. Not one had a starting salary more than $30K, several were less than 19K. I still have the letters somewhere if you want to know the details.

Sounds like you made a very smart move moving out of the area. If I were 10 or 15 years younger I'd seriously look at doing that. But you can't change history .... yet B)