Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBJ1202

Dual ladder racks?

17 posts in this topic

Has anybody ever seen or heard of an engine with two hydraulic ladder racks? In areas where you may not be able to get the truck to, such as long, narrow, winding driveways, would it be useful to have more ground ladders on your first due engine? With two racks on top of an engine, it seems that you can have a larger ground ladder compliment with little compartment loss.

How do you feel about other efficient ladder storage systems on engines?

Just looking for some feedback. Thanks.

CC: CLM92982

I've seen more robust ladder setups on engines in more rural areas of the country. Where I went to college there were 26 companies in the county. We had the only Ladder and the only Quint. We would run first due to about 2/3 of the county on the Truck assignment with bordering counties making up the other 1/3 of the truck response, but the company who's box it was needed more than just a 24ft extension and a 12 foot roof ladder to get started (especially if they were a single engine company). Soooo some companies had bigger ladder racks that fit two extension ladders, some carried ladders on support equipment, and one that I can remember had two ladder racks, but I'll never be able to show you a pic because they are poor as can be and run one engine out of a steel building in a corn field and definately don't have a web page.

I would say though, that two racks is not common. Better chances are, two 24footers on the same rack with the roof ladder elsewhere, OR the rescue or special unit has a ladder complement on it too.

Have seen a Engine with Dual Hydraulic Ladder Racks but the One had Hard Suction Mounted on it. If that helps at all. Have seen an Engine with this in Jersey somewhere. Rockland Runs a couple of Quads Suffern, Hillburn.

post-2471-1149898597.jpg

Edited by ONLOCATION

Have seen a Engine with Dual Hydraulic Ladder Racks but the One had Hard Suction Mounted on it. If that helps at all. Have seen an Engine with this in Jersey somewhere. Rockland Runs a couple of Quads Suffern, Hillburn.

From what I recall, the guys from Engine 120 said that the dual racks on thier rig was a first, I just don't remember if it was a first in the area or a first for RD Murray / ALF.

Rockland Runs a couple of Quads Suffern, Hillburn.

The only depts in Rockland that still have apparatus named/designated as "Quad" are Hillburn (5-Quad), Sloatsburg (15-Quad) and West Haverstraw (23-Quad). Now, whether or not those three trucks have the requisite equipment (specifically the compliment of ground ladders) to actually meet the quadruple combination pumper standard is another question entirely.

I'm not sure it really matter in today's day and age though, since as far as I can remember (without looking it up) NFPA 1901 has done away with the quad standard and only quint remains. There may actually be other pumpers in the county that meet the quad standard, but were never called such. Same with quint, which there are quite a few in the county, although Spring Valley's 17-Quint was the last one actually named "Quint". Now that I think about it, most of the aerials in the county meet the quint standard, or are damn close. Our Tower, for example, is right on the borderline because it has no hosebed, instead we carry six lengths of 5" donut rolls in the rear side compartments. Everything else on the Tower meets the standard, and our 75' is a true quint.

Don't they have like 3 of those Rigs Identical? It could also could be Corpus Cristie?

Fallon has two of those monsters. They also have two engines which are identical minus the aerial and the addition of a CAF system.

Fallon has two of those monsters.  They also have two engines which are identical minus the aerial and the addition of a CAF system.

knew they had more than one, couldn't remember exactly....thanks

One of the Upper Saddle River N.J. KME'S has dual ladder rack BTW USR relies on Mutual aid ladder or tower's

Roslyn Highlands, NY has 2 Seagrave P75 Aerials with dual ladder racks.

Anything properly designed will be of use. I forget where it was, but I know a lot of pumper tankers employ dual racks, one for ladders and the other for folding tanks and hard suctions. One thing drivers have to remember is the "swing out" radius from stored to deployment positions.

Check out the newer pumpers that have been delivered to Charlotte, NC. These were built by Smeal Fire Apparatus (www.Smeal.com) on Spartan chassis. Very well thought-out design.

The only problem with some, such as Roslyn's, is that both racks must be down in order to operate the aerial.

I know that Mount Lebano Fire Department Mt lebo Site has dual ladder racks on these engines. They do not run a truck co on their SFD Fires so they have several extra ladders. I believe they are carrying 1 35', 1 24', 1 14', 1 16'

MT LEBO ENGINES

The chief is a stand up guy.. i imagine if you email him he would help you out with your questions..

Stay Safe ALL !!!

Edited by ldrco195

As IzzyEngine4 mentioned before, you can use the hydraulic racks for other purposes. Our Engine 108 (the picture to your left) has two racks on either side carrying equipment such as hard suction, pike poles, tool boxes, and even an ice auger. They work great, and its even better to have more storage space on the truck by mounting the toolboxes on the rack.