Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firefighter57

Upstate Flooding Task Force?

55 posts in this topic

I keep hearing departments toning out for manpower to let their chiefs know if they are going to a 24 hour tour in broom county. I am guessing the is part of the flooding. anyone going/know anything more about it?

Edit: peekskill just toned out, 45 truck is leaving at 0430???!!!...yall better get to bed now

somers also

briercliff

Edited by Firefighter57

Purchase FD: Myself and CLM92982 are going up there.. We are told that a bus is leaving the training center at 5 am tomorrow.

Edited by JBJ1202

To anyone going upstate tonight/tomorrow.....Get some rest and have a safe trip up and stay safe while you are up there!

Sounds like our brothers & sisters to the north could really use our help! Best of luck and god bless to all who decide to go and assist!

Edited by BFD1054

Anyone hear if there are depts. going from other counties?

a few that are going up state

armonk

Rye

somers

vista

verplank

plestville

port chester is assembling crews now and try to accertaine where will be deployed and what gear is needed i also heard purchase is going to binghanton

I highly doubt that "45 Truck" is going.....considering that it is not in service...

I also heard that no rigs are going YET, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Remember585

Harrison is going on the next bus Fri. 5am

Pelham has 3 men going Thursday morning at 5am.

Ill see ya up there.

I think I also heard tones from Goldens Bridge and Croton Falls last night. Be safe, everyone.

There are task forces from most of the downstate counties.Dutchess sent one and they are up in St Johnsville.I understand rockland is in delaware and orange is busy with port jervis and pike county pa. Anyone going just keep in mind if they tell you 24 hrs figure longer it's happened already to the people from dutchess cty.

STAY SAFE!!!!!

If any one is interested in pictures go to flooding pics Ihave a house in the village of Walton in Delaware county, and have talked to abunch of people. They all say this is the worst flood ever!!!

Edited by flounder

does anyone know exactly what they will be doing? are they all rescues and such or is it more just helping with anything?

Well i am here in delaware county and i live in a town next to walton called delhi and i thank everyone who is coming up this way. if anyone is going to be in delaware county let me know and i will do what i can to tell u how bad that area really is. there is one road that has a wash out are that is 60 feet wide by 70 feet deep i can't go to work because of it. our fire district is cut into pices and we cant get to a lot of places so mutal aid is already in effect for some parts it is really bad no one has ever seen it this bad before. thanks to everyone who is coming up here it is really nice of you.

Local firefighters head upstate to help flooded regions

By REKA BALA

rbala1@lohud.com

AND WILL DAVID

(Original publication: June 29, 2006)

Fifty-two firefighters from Westchester County were deployed this morning to Binghamton to assist flooded regions affected by this week's torrential rain, officials said.

In Rockland, two teams of firefighters, one from New City and one from Stony Point, left Wednesday for a search and rescue mission in Hancock, N.Y., a Delaware County town on the Delaware River also devastated by flooding.

The Rockland firefighters, many with specialized skills, such as swift water rescue, took with them Zodiac boats that operate in shallow water, as well as equipment such as chain saws.

The Westchester firefighters left at 5:10 a.m. for a staging area at the Binghamton sheriff's office, Westchester County Emergency Services Deputy Commissioner John Jackson said. The firefighters will work 12- to 24-hour shifts to give Binghamton firefighters a rest.

"They have been working for 24 hours," Jackson said of the Binghamton firefighters.

The Westchester contingent is expected to be upstate for about a day.

A second wave could be sent after the first group returns, Jackson said.

The firefighters will be a mixture of both volunteer and paid members, coming from Pelham, Yorktown, New Rochelle, Fairview, Hartsdale, White Plains, Somers, Croton Falls, Mohegan Lake, Croton, Montrose, Verplanck and Purchase, Jackson said.

Yonkers firefighters were to be deployed also, but backed out at the last moment, Jackson said.

The firefighters will be paid by their own departments. If the federal government declares upstate a disaster area, the departments will be reimbursed.

The Westchester firefighters were equipped with their own gear but did not any special equipment, because upstate firefighters already have what they need.

The firefighters were sent after state officials requested 50 firefighters to help. Jackson was able to secure two more firefighters than requested.

Link to article Poughkeepsie Journal

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Flooding bars families from houses

By Dan Shapley

Poughkeepsie Journal

The state's mutual aid plan was activated early Wednesday. And more than 30 volunteer firefighters from around Dutchess County answered the call.

Volunteers from Roosevelt, Dover, Hughsonville, Pleasant Valley and East Fishkill fire departments reported to the county's Fire Training Center Wednesday evening to deploy to flooded Fonda, Montgomery County. They're taking much-needed equipment, including four-wheel-drive vehicles known as Storm Emergency Fire Units, portable pumps, handsaws and generators.

The volunteers don't know what they'll find when they reach Fonda, said Roosevelt Fire Chief William Steenbergh, who led the deployment.

"We'll do whatever it is they need there, help clearing roads and pumping out the areas that are flooded," he said.

2 days' help likely

The firefighters are expected to be upstate about two days.

The last time Dutchess sent volunteers to help other parts of the state was during an ice storm in the late 1990s, county Emergency Coordinator DeWitt Sagendorph said.

"It doesn't happen every year," said Sagendorph, who added local volunteers also provided assistance at the scene of a drowning in Boston a few years ago.

Here is a link to cnn.com and it is a shocking video of the flooding in Utica New York.

javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2006/06/28/buildling.collapse.vo.affl','2006/07/05');

If this does not work go to cnn.com then look to the left of the center and look for a video link called Restaurant Sinks in an Instant.

It is truely amazing and hope all the people that are going up and are there stay safe.

I know that Fairview FD has been deployed to Depsoit, near Hancock in Delaware County because my father is there with them. It is pretty bad up here, I will try to get some photos for everyone down state

Thanks all that came and are coming up to lend us a hand up here. Bring your swim trunks.

Hey all... It gets worse up here by me further north. We have been going for the past 36 hours now with rescues, pump outs, and now today a major haz-mat incident in the county north of us. We sent our team to assist but I had to stay because of whats going on here.

Any help would be appreciated and definately returned in the future. I know IM tired of pumping out basements. :(

We rescued 11 people from a mud slide yesterday, and people are just doing stupid things to get themselves trapped still.

And were getting more rain tonight!! :o

Everyone stay safe and watch out for each other.

Jonesy

I heard from some members that they're really not letting guys do much up there unless they have swift water rescue training. They said they're doing more logistics work and standing around than anything else, like many of us did during Katrina. Any truth to this?

Any help would be appreciated and definately returned in the future.  I know IM tired of pumping out basements. :(

It's too bad the state is slowing everyone down with buricratic red tape.

I hope you guys make out ok up there, good luck bro.

From Long Island the following:

10 vehicles and personnel compliment were requested from the State Emergency Management Office(SEMO) to offer logistical support to the flood ravaged area.

Departments being deployed to Delhi/Roscoe area, Delaware county:

West Sayville

Central Islip

Holbrook

Mastic

Mastic Beach

Selden

Smithtown

Dix Hills

Greenlawn(Deployed Wednesday)

North Babylon

Setauket

Others have been placed on stand-by.

Deployment from Friday @ 0400 HRS to last until Sunday afternoon.

many of these departments are being deployed to the delhi area to where our EOC is and then they are deployied to were they are needed. last night they stayed at suny delhi in the dorms and i think there was 26 departments with vechicles ranging from hummers to pick ups nothing bigger than a f-350 though. many of these departments are going to be in the walton and downsville area since they were the worst hit areas.

many of these departments are being deployed to the delhi area to where our EOC is and then they are deployied to were they are needed.  last night they stayed at suny delhi in the dorms and i think there was 26 departments with vechicles ranging from hummers to pick ups nothing bigger than a f-350 though.  many of these departments are going to be in the walton and downsville area since they were the worst hit areas.

10 vehicles and personnel from Suffolk Co. compliment were requested from the State Emergency Management Office(SEMO) to offer logistical support to the flood ravaged area.

Suffolk Co Departments being deployed to Delhi/Roscoe area, Delaware county:

West Sayville

Central Islip

Holbrook

Mastic

Mastic Beach

Selden

Smithtown

Dix Hills

Greenlawn(Deployed Wednesday)

North Babylon

Setauket

Others have been placed on stand-by.

Deployment to last until Sunday afternoon.

Has any departments in southern westchester been asked to go,or was it left up to the batallion chiefs to make that call? When the **** hits the fan we all come together this is how it should be in any situation,STAND TOGETHER AND STAND PROUD FOR THE HELP WE GIVE TO OUR NEIGHBORS IN NEED NO MATTER HOW CLOSE OR FAR.For the men and women that are helping all in need up county stay safe,and if it ever dose happen to us around here you can rest asure that they will return the favor and if it dose not they will anyway return the favor with a simple "THANK YOU",these two words always put a smile on a firefighters face.

all of those long island company's were here in delhi today and were deployied around noon they had some nice looking trucks and were very nice guys

many of these departments are being deployed to the delhi area to where our EOC is...

The Westchester County Office of Emergency Management also deployed staff to Delaware County to assit in incident management at the Emergency Operations Center. I can say that the support they are getting is much appreciated. Some of these areas up North had very little to begin with, and now have nothing. I was there yesterday and I can honestly say that everyone (local, county, and state) are working around the clock and working together to deal with this event. Thanks to all those that provided personnel and resources. Stay Safe!

yes i did see the westchester county car up here in dlehi but i did not know the person driving it i was wondering who came up to delaware county and if any one knows why there was multiple helicopters landing at the eoc here in delhi. i believed it was an army helocopter but could not tell was not close enough to it.

The air support was requested for aerial recon. and to make supply drops in areas that were still isolated. I can assume that search and rescue may have been a part of their mission in the early stages, but not while I was there. The bird you saw was likely National Guard, but aircraft from NYC DEP and NYSP were also in the area.