Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Pierce Quantum

24 posts in this topic

While I am a fan of the complete line up of Pierce fire apparatus, I have always had a problem with the "Quantum" line of equipment (no offense to any agency that operates one). Can someone explain to me why the trucks are designed and look the way they do? Also, I would like to know what everyone else thinks about them, look or otherwise.

Heres a link to the Pierce website for Quantum chassis:

http://www.piercemfg.com/apparatus/quantum.cfm

I agree, I don't like the look of it. I much prefer the traditional Pierce design.

That being said, it was a revoluntionary chassis when it was introduced back in 1995. Even to this day, it has a tremendous amount of glass which is great for visibility. The amount of leg room up front is huge. The engine tunnel was very low also. The revised Dash 2000 and Lance 2000 chassis took a lot of their cues from the Quantum, at least as far as the interior layout, dashboard and lowered engine tunnel. It's a really nice cab all in all, and a lot of other manufacturers have taken (copied) a lot of styling from it, notably the Spartan Gladiator Evolution.

Edited by res6cue

I love the Pierce Quantum, especially after the redesign. Although not the most beautiful chasis on the market (that title for me goes to the Pierce Arrow XT and Spartan), it still looks really good when done right, and I have photographic evidence of that.

post-11-1153949863.jpg

(Photo by x635, Fort Lauderdale Engine 2, June 2005)

post-2-1153949926.jpg

(Photo by x635, Fort Lauderdale Ladder 2, June 2005)

And here is one of my favorite Pierce Quantums (besides Fort Lauderdales)

Wilmington, MA Squad 1: http://www.nefirenews.org/mass/WilmingtonS1.jpg

Not to mention the important part...it has a really comfortable thought out interior cab.

Edited by x635

I think they look "NEET!!!!!"...i am just wondering, how do the flip out steps work and do they get in the way? i mean its not like they just slide out, they actualy flip....whats the deal?

All of out front line Engines here are Quantums.

The oldest are 97-98 models and the newest (including my company) 06's.

The visibility is great and the lower engine tunnel makes the front cab very functional.

With the TAK4 they drive amazingly well.

We do not have extended cabs or raised roofs, so the rear seats can be a bit cramped, especially on the newest ones.

The 97-04's have two traditional rear-facing jump seats, two fold-down "parade seats" and a full height compartment in the center.

While the 06's were an experiment in forward facing jump seats, with short compartments in front of them.

Which did not work as well in practice as it did in theory since there was no re-engineering, they just flipped the seats around.

I'll get some pics this week. Just don't pick on the color... we keep hoping they will ripen if we leave them parked on the ramp in the sun.

-cmc-

I am a fan of them myself. The visibility through the Windshield is Awesome, also have to agree with Seth love them even more after the Re-design. It's definitly different, Bridgeport Conn.'s are good looking rigs.

I am not a huge fan of them, Also in regards to the flip down steps: I saw them a few years back at a trade show and they just looked dangerous and unnecessary, they might have changed since then, so I won't be to harsh, but they looked pretty ridicolous when I saw them. As for pierces... Well.... IF you want my opinion? I think they are pierces of S*&%, but hey thats JMO, thats why to each his own, Some of my good friends ride on them and love them. :)

I am a fan of them myself. The visibility through the Windshield is Awesome, also have to agree with Seth love them even more after the Re-design. It's definitly different, Bridgeport Conn.'s are good looking rigs.

Yes sir they do look good. I love bridgeports look. and with the squirt boom on top...its a cool looking truck

post-438-1154010112.jpg

I thought for the longest time they were butt ugly. I still think they are, but they have grown on me. I think they were trying to modernize the look of the present day fire apparatus. I also think it depends on how the paint job comes out. Perfect example of how Quantums are pleasing to the eye in my case, look at Vegas.

Bridgeport will never by a Quantum again. I found this out when they were specing new Engine 15 and trucks 5 and 11, which are Dashes. The guys were not impressed with them. I think though this decision had something to due when Engine 6's Quantum was in an accident an basically totalled the unit. It was only in sevrvice for a few months when it was wrecked. I think they ended up rebuilding it too. Of course I'm only going by 3 person knowledge here.

Bridgeport will never by a Quantum again.  I found this out when they were specing new Engine 15 and trucks 5 and 11, which are Dashes.  The guys were not impressed with them.  I think though this decision had something to due when Engine 6's Quantum was in an accident an basically totalled the unit.  It was only in sevrvice for a few months when it was wrecked.  I think they ended up rebuilding it too.  Of course I'm only going by 3 person knowledge here.

http://cnyfiretrucks.com/mn/MattydaleE1.jpg

http://cnyfiretrucks.com/mn/MattydaleQ3.jpg

How about some school bus yellow ones! These are Mattydale NY's UPSTATE CNY

Yes they are the ones that invented the Mattydale Lay...

Seen at the home on the Hudson :D

Edited by dodffdog

At first I hated them...but then after time....I strated to like them just for being different.......years ago each manufacturer had a distinct look it seemed....now adays most are just square cabs.....the grilles and warning lights are really the only things different....to the average person they all look the same...except for the paint....so for that reason I have grown to somewhat like them......also it kind of reminds me of what a Young crusader "6" would have evolved into if they were still in business...........

I'm with you 47. When the first line of Quantum's came out I just liked the different look. Most of the differences in cabs today are very subtle and are hard to tell the difference.

For me I could care less. While I'm not a big Pierce fan anymore due to several units that deteriorated prematurely and had significant problems (I am a E-One guy). The cab and shell are the only things that are the manufacturer. Everything else are all the same across the board. Motors: Detroit, Cummins, Cat. Transmission: Allison. Pumps: Waterous, Hale. They are all the same components its just who you send the check to.

and here is another one from pierce for the Pleasant Prairie Fire & Rescue, WI

This one is a tanker.

post-438-1158503639.jpg

Well, I have to say the Quantum is all of a sudden looking pretty nice to me after the release of the Velocity/Impel! laugh.gif

Here's one of my favorites, Chelsea H & L, Nyack's 1999 TDA "10-99" complete with traditional wooden ground ladders cool.gif

user posted image

Edited by res6cue

I have so many pics of Rockland apparatus that I've collected online, I can't keep track of who from. As much as I think watermarks are sometimes distracting, at least they automatically give credit where due, so I apologize in advance to everyone for any photos I post if they're yours!

Not a problem at all......just as long as no watermarks appear on it claiming it to be someone else's!

Delete me!!!

Edited by Remember585