Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Camp Smith closing to Fire Service

26 posts in this topic

Saw a memo from OFPC. Basically it states that due to National Guard operational requirements, that the site will be closed to the fire service from September 1st. :(

It goes on to say about facilities at the state academy, and outreach training. Makes it sound like it's no big deal to go (the 4+ hours) to Montour Falls!

Camp Smith was a great facility. Real shame.

Have not seen this, just looked at the OFPC website and they still list classes through the end of the year. Anyone else see or hear of this?

It's true. I called OFPC and spoke to a guy there. He said they have to return the area they were using to the military. I'm hoping to take a class there at the end of August, so I wanted to check. It sounds like by the time September gets going, they'll be out of there.

I also saw the memo. It said all classes after sep. will be cancled and the people who were signed up will be notified.

The Camp Smith facility has close to 2,500 acres. Most of this is unused and wooded. There is a new guy running the camp as Col. Jenkins retired. I wonder if this has anything to do with it? I do know up until now the training center at the camp was not used as much as was hoped.

It is true...I just took Firefighter Survival and F.A.S.T there 2 weeks ago and they were the last hands-on classes i think as alot of equipment had already been removed...The closure will probably lead to more classes given at local county training centers

from what I hear they are making camp smith an Iraq simulator to train troops going overseas. Maybe all the departments around the area should get petitions together and send them to the state and just maybe the state can find some property and build some classrooms maybe even more. Camp smith was a big asset to all the departments in the area when I was there for classes there departments from long island to the albany area. We should all contact our chiefs and starting letting ofpc know we need an academy annex around this are.

This is true...The current Fire Annex at Camp Smith will be transformed into a mini Iraqi village to train troops heading overseas as Mofire24 has stated

When i was there about a month ago someone told me that they were going to be building new barracks for about 800 troops, they are going to build a new armory on top of the hill right where you come in and like the guys said above me they are going to level the entire fire training area and build a mock Iraqi village and as the guy that was telling me said, that move shows how long we are going to be over there in Iraq. On a side note, my class actually got to destroy some of the stuff that had been sitting there for years because of the fact that it was closing so that was at least fun..

Camp Smith is to become a very active military base once again. One reason is it's close proximity to NYC and the need for training facilities for training troopsin urban combat. Due to the nature of training and equiptment being stored at the facility, it is a serious security concern to have non military personel on the site. I suggest the State might consider buying land next to the Rockland County Fire training center and have a joint state of the art facility. I believe in the future even police departments will have limited use of camp smith once it goes fully operational.

The State should use the money to up grade other training centers like rockland and westchester.

The State should use the money to up grade other training centers like rockland and westchester.

The only way the state can do that is through grants to the individual counties. The state won't upgrade facilities that they don't own or operate.

What really needs to be looked at is building a state of the art facility in Albany to replace the academy in Montour Falls and not have to run any annexes. The state never received any additional funding in budgets to run the annex and after time the conditions there spoke their own story.

What will occur as far as the deliverence of state courses that cannot be given on a county level will take some time to figure out how that will go. Much of what has been tossed around is basically rumor until the state advises the CFC's of what will be. These are mostly the technical rescue courses and some of the higher leadership courses. So stay tuned until it is figured out what will be.

To:  County Fire Coordinators

Date:  7/25/06

Subject:  Fire Academy Annex at Camp Smith

In 1996, in an effort to make Fire Academy programs more accessible to a greater number of firefighters and other emergency responders, the Office of Fire Prevention and Control secured available space at Camp Smith in Westchester County and opened the Fire Academy Annex. 

Since that time, the Annex has served a valuable role and exceeded its original goal by providing a wide range of training programs.  Over the years, class attendance has averaged over 1000 students per year with total attendance over 9700.

When we began this operation in 1996, it was with the understanding that the space and the buildings were still the property of the Division of Military and Naval Affairs and should they need to utilize these facilities for military operations, that would take precedence.

Over the years, we have been able to co-exist with DMNA, oftentimes sharing resources and training props.  However, as a result of the current situations worldwide, and the impact it has had on the New York Guard units, it has come to the point where these facilities need to revert back to their original intention.  DMNA has requested that we discontinue our fire training operations as these facilities are needed to support military training operations.

Therefore, effective September 1, 2006, training classes at the Fire Academy Annex at Camp Smith will cease.  All classes originally scheduled after that date have been canceled and pre-registered students will be notified.

While we are disappointed that this action is necessary, we feel that it will only minimally impact firefighting training overall.  All of the courses that were offered at this facility will also be available at the Academy of Fire Science in Montour Falls.  In addition, many of the courses are available locally though our Outreach or Regional Training Programs.  It is my intention to continue to expand the local and regional deliveries where possible.

It sounds like it is time to put pressure on Westchester county to fill in the large training void. I'm sure if given more funds, the westchester training center will be able to offer most if not all of the courses that camp smith has provided through the years.

I strongly suggest every member of the westchester county fire service take this matter to heart. Anyone with ideas of where to begin our efforts to keep the training local please speak up.

Why is it up to Westchester County to fill the void? What you had were state funded courses and now your going to put pressue on one county to pick up the slack? Numerous counties benefited from the training offered at Camp Smith. I've taken classes with not only firefighters from Westchester there, but also Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, Rockland and Ulster there.

Maybe numerous counties in Southern New York could get together and come up with some sort of consortium.

One thing that suprises me from that memo:

Over the years, class attendance has averaged over 1000 students per year with total attendance over 9700.

I would think that number would be higher. To only have 1000 students cycle through there a year? Are departments in Southern NY not realizing what the programs offered at Camp Smith are or do they just not care? Many of the classes that were offered there are such that individual counties would not be able to fill the minimum attendence requirement.

First I have to ask.... What training void? Other then FAST/Survival the amount of courses that have been offerred out of Camp Smith had steadily declined every year for several years now. Before we use terms like void we need to see how things are going to be delivered in the area first. There have been several regional courses like swift water rescue and a confined space rescue course coming up that is being delivered at Westchester FTC. What also needs to be kept in mind is that Westchester is the leading county every year for the amount of courses delivered by both State and County assigned fire instructors. Sometimes it just comes down to simple logistics of how many things can be going on at once in regard to classroom space and props.

Also Truck, it has been my experience from courses I've taught and/or assisted there that most of the students were outside of Westchester County by a very large margin.

Also Truck, it has been my experience from courses I've taught and/or assisted there that most of the students were outside of Westchester County by a very large margin.

That's the point I was trying to make. Why should any one county make up any difference in classes offered as was suggested by others.

Example: If there were 6 courses scheduled at Camp Smith through years end, it shouldn't be up to Westchester County to cover the loss. I'm sure Westchester already has is budget layed out for the rest of the year. They should have to worry about funding, scheduling of facilities, etc, for the annex's closing.

I always enjoyed taking classes at Camp Smith, I meet alot of fine firefighters there from all over the State. It is a shame that we are losing Camp Smith.

As far as Westchester picking up the slack, how can you say that. Westchester has more FF1 classes then any county, Has given more ICS coures then most of the states in the country. and gives a wide varity of classes thourgh out the year. If anything all the counties should pick up the slack and carry the ball across the goal line. Because when it comes down to it we are to blame overall that Camp Smith closed. Just look at the numbers, an avg of only 1000 students a year, perhaps if we used it more the state could put up an argument to keep it.

I always enjoyed taking classes at Camp Smith, I meet alot of fine firefighters there from all over the State. It is a shame that we are losing Camp Smith.

Just look at the numbers, an avg of only 1000 students a year, perhaps if we used it more the state could put up an argument to keep it.

I don't think enrollment or support of the OFPC satellite is the issue here. The military is using the facility again and that demand calls for it to reclaim it's space.

In the years that the military was being downsized with every budget, Camp Smith worked with the State and other agencies to generate activity that would allow the military base to remain open while others were being closed...

It was a great arrangement but the military needs the real estate now. Lousy deal for us but probably not a lot we can do about it.

I don't think enrollment or support of the OFPC satellite is the issue here.  The military is using the facility again and that demand calls for it to reclaim it's space.

In the years that the military was being downsized with every budget, Camp Smith worked with the State and other agencies to generate activity that would allow the military base to remain open while others were being closed... 

It was a great arrangement but the military needs the real estate now.  Lousy deal for us but probably not a lot we can do about it.

A couple of the things I liked about CS were that course were published, and you could work things around courses you want to take. Another was that it was a bigger catchment than a county and had things like the collapse / void simulator.

It would be nice if there was a 'clearing house' of County courses. Rockland and Westchester have good sites, frequently updated, Putnam has a site, although its not too obvious how often it is updated. I must admit I haven't looked at Dutchess or Orange.

What really needs to be looked at is building a state of the art facility in Albany to replace the academy in Montour Falls and not have to run any annexes.  The state never received any additional funding in budgets to run the annex and after time the conditions there spoke their own story. 

What will occur as far as the deliverence of state courses that cannot be given on a county level will take some time to figure out how that will go.  Much of what has been tossed around is basically rumor until the state advises the CFC's of what will be.  These are mostly the technical rescue courses and some of the higher leadership courses.  So stay tuned until it is figured out what will be.

Would be nice only driving 2 hours instead of 5 for training. We will have a new govenor next year. Time will tell.

heres a new one I differ with ALS!!!! what we need to do is upgrade Montour Falls. There is pleanty of State owned land there. The Academy is already there for our useage.

Building a new one in Albany is not advantagus fo r the fire service at this time.

Asstchief 5 hours 2 hours whats the difference--its a nice drive in the country. !!!!! a few songs on the radio or CD player and your there.

I don't think enrollment or support of the OFPC satellite is the issue here.  The military is using the facility again and that demand calls for it to reclaim it's space.

It was a great arrangement but the military needs the real estate now.  Lousy deal for us but probably not a lot we can do about it.

Just so everyone knows Camp Smith covers over 2,000 acres. :est than 25% is used so it isn't a matter of they need the space. They don't want everyone up there, they want to cxlose it to outsiders. 2 years ago they removed the FD substation up there and had the covering FD remove the engine they kept there for Camp protection. They have made it harder to go into the camp over the years and now there is a new base comander and from my understanding it's his wishes. We could have moved to another part of the camp or he could build the facilities he is having added someplace else on the property but ......... Anyone who knows the camp knows how much property they have.

They're also building a major facility for training of all emergency services in the center of the state - maybe it should be expanded for traditional fire service training.

The press release:

PRESS RELEASES - 2005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

December 5, 2005

GOVERNOR PATAKI ANNOUNCES ONEIDA COUNTY TO BE HOME FOR NEW STATE PREPAREDNESS TRAINING CENTER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State-of-the Art Facility Will Provide Advanced Training for New York First Responders

Governor George E. Pataki today announced that the Oneida County Airport, located in Oriskany, has been selected as the site of the New York State Preparedness Training Center. First unveiled by the Governor in his 2005 State of the State address, the nation's first State Preparedness Training Center, centrally located in the Mohawk Valley, will serve as the hub for emergency response training for natural, technological and terrorism related disasters for first responders at all levels of government.

"There is no greater priority than ensuring the protection and safety of all New Yorkers," Governor Pataki said. "This state-of-the-art center is our latest initiative to ensure that our police, fire, emergency medical services - - and the entire first responder community - - receive the most advanced training to be able to respond to any emergency."

"Our goal is to develop this training facility into a federally recognized and accredited Center, which will serve as a model for the nation and the training hub for the first response community from across the Northeast. There is no better location for this critical new facility than the Mohawk Valley, and the selection of the Oneida County Airport will ensure that this important training begins as soon as possible," the Governor added.

Governor Pataki also announced that future plans at the former airport location include the construction of a state-of-the-art emergency operations center for Oneida County and New York State agencies. The operations center, also known as a command center, will provide a practical classroom setting for first responders across the State. Additionally, it could be utilized by Oneida, neighboring counties and State agencies in the event a catastrophic event or disaster occurs in the central part of the state.

Congressman Sherwood Boehlert said, "Homeland Security must remain our number one domestic priority. I am pleased with the federal government's commitment to providing New York State with a portion of the funding to help make this new Homeland Security Training Center a reality. I commend Governor Pataki for his leadership and sincere commitment to safeguarding New York State from future terrorist attacks. Knowledge is power. This new Training Center will provide first responders -- from across the Upstate New York -- with the skills and knowledge to best serve and protect all New Yorkers."

Senator Raymond A. Meier said, "Today's announcement recognizes our area's growing role in Homeland Security. The Air Force Research Lab in Rome, the Utica Fire Academy, criminal justice and cyber-security programs at Utica College, and now this new center puts us at the cutting edge of emergency preparedness. I commend Governor Pataki on this selection and am delighted that Oneida County will be hosting such a vital resource."

Senator Michael Balboni, Chairman of the State Senate Committee on Homeland Security, said, "This announcement represents Governor Pataki's commitment to Homeland Security preparedness and promises made and promises kept. The Governor announced this initiative several years ago, and though many in the media wish to move on from this important work, the Governor is staying the course."

Assemblywoman RoAnn M. Destito said, "I am confident that the Mohawk Valley region will soon be known as a center for the training of first responders. This is another positive development that will help lead to the diversification of our economy, and that will put us on the map for an activity that will help strengthen homeland security for our state and our nation."

William Barry, former Whitestown Supervisor and chair of the Oneida County Airport Re-Use Committee said, "This project will be an anchor that will help move our re-use efforts forward in a positive direction. The center is a tremendous fit with the law enforcement and emergency management activities already in the airport area, has a great potential for expansion, and will add to the blend of new and existing uses of the outstanding facilities at the airport. This is a wonderful step forward for the airport, for the town of Whitestown, and our entire region and I look forward to seeing final plans for this center."

Training at the state-of-the-art facility is scheduled to begin in mid-2006. The terminal at the county airport will house classroom and administration space and allow for future expansion. Other existing buildings may be used to house research and development facilities, and have space for operational training to include WMD, response, prevention and recovery along with a partnership with the City of Utica Fire Department to provide hazardous materials and technical rescue training. The tarmac will serve as the site for an emergency vehicle operations course that can be utilized by both State and local first responders. The Center's security perimeter and secluded location are ideal for conducting "real time" training exercises without impacting surrounding neighbors.

The Oneida County Airport site was selected after an exhaustive assessment process of more than seven months during which prospective sites were weighed against the following criteria:

Capacity of facility that could accommodate 500-600 training slots simultaneously;

Immediate availability of space for classrooms and potential for future expansion;

Cost-effective capital investments required to establish the initial facility in keeping with environmental and potential health concerns;

Security of location and seclusion of site;

Open space that would be required for real-life training and exercises including the establishment of an emergency vehicle operations course;

Potential for future expansion of the training facility as the State curriculum evolves as well as the construction of a state-of-the-art emergency operations center in the Mohawk Valley;

Proximity to transportation infrastructure;

Availability of lodging and dining for trainees;

Recurring operational costs; and

Site closest to becoming a turn-key operation.

Other Mohawk Valley locations considered in the site assessment process were the Old Main building at the former Utica Psychiatric Center; the Mid-State Correctional facility in Marcy and the Griffiss Business and Technology Park in Rome.

The Governor made available $1 million for the State Office of Homeland Security's development of the Center's overall concept along with a statewide training and exercise strategy that will ensure a comprehensive approach to raising the level of awareness and preparedness in the ranks of the state's first responders.

The Office of Homeland Security chaired a steering committee of State agencies which developed the strategy and are participating in the planning of the new training center. Those agencies include State Emergency Management Office, Division of State Police, Department of Health, Division of Criminal Justice Services, and the Office of Fire Prevention and Control.

Director of the State Emergency Management Office John R. Gibb, said, "This facility will provide a much-needed venue where we can coordinate the training of emergency response and management professionals from across the state, which is vital to the delivery of assistance to our citizens when they need it most."

New York State Office of Homeland Security Director James W. McMahon said, "While all of the sites investigated had strengths as to why they should host the state training center, they were outweighed by weaknesses at the other three sites that included the costs of renovation, lack of seclusion, inability of future expansion, and an inordinate amount of time that would have delayed the opening of the facility. The airport site will provide first responders the classroom facilities they need as well as the necessary open space for training exercises that are vital to enhancing their preparedness and response capabilities."

State Police Superintendent Wayne E. Bennett said, "This centrally located, state-of-the-art, secure training facility will enhance field delivery of relevant specialized training in the law enforcement community. The New York State Preparedness Training Center will provide unparalleled training opportunities for emergency responders to expand and hone their skills to better serve the citizens of our state."

Department of State Acting Secretary of State Frank P. Milano, whose office oversees the State Office of Fire Prevention and Control and the training first responders in firefighting, urban search and rescue and WMD response, said, "By establishing the New York State Preparedness Training Center in Oneida County, Governor Pataki has again demonstrated his commitment to ensure that New York's first responders receive the most advanced regional and integrated training, second to none, which will enable those first responders to provide for the safety of New Yorkers everywhere to the highest level possible."

New York State Director of Criminal Justice Chauncey G. Parker said, "The creation of a state preparedness center is just another step taken by Governor Pataki to make New York the safest state in the nation. By developing a facility where all of our law enforcement professionals and emergency responders can receive the most advanced and comprehensive trainings, the Governor has once again ensured that New York State will be prepared to respond to any emergency."

Department of Health Commissioner Antonia C. Novello, M.D., M.P.H., Dr.P.H. said, "The new Preparedness Training Center in Oneida will further strengthen and enhance New York State's 'all hazards' emergency preparedness capabilities and ability to respond to any potential health emergency or act of terrorism. This new training hub will serve as a national model while providing vital training and experience to our emergency response personnel on all fronts. This world-class training center will help prepare first responders for any emergency situation and further bolsters our ability to protect the health and safety of New Yorkers."

In addition to the selection of the airport facility, the Office of Homeland Security has had discussions with the four area colleges - Utica College, The State University of New York Institute of Technology (SUNYIT), Herkimer County Community College and Mohawk Valley Community College - to explore a partnership in developing a regional approach for delivering preparedness training. OHS has had similar discussions with 4-year and community colleges around the state.

As someone has just mentioned The Onieda County Airport site is a new training site. This site is being run by the Office of Homeland Security. This training site is intended to provide training specializing in terrorism and other Homeland Security issues. Though OFPC is a partner in the training at this site it is NOT a site that will be used or intended to teach standard fire training courses. As for Camp Smith and being an instructor there, it was nice to have an annex there but the facilities were substandard and very many courses were cancelled over the years due to a lack of enrollment.