Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest bibbles10504

Plastic or Leather Helmet or boots

37 posts in this topic

I used to volunteer in Yorktown, but I have since moved away and I am no longer involved in the fire service. When I did volly I wore the plastic? cairns fire helmet that was a New Yorker style. I think it might have been the 1010. I also wore the big clunky rubber boots that the dept issued to me. Although I considered going out and buying my own boots and helmet a few times, I always seemed to have more important things to spend my money on.(why pay for extras on a job I was volunteering for?) I did "buff" the Bourke eyeshields, not because I wanted to look like I was in Rescue 1, but because they weren't always falling in front of my face like the standard issue face shield. Neither Bourkes or the faceshield are really safe anyway, from what I understand NFPA standard is now the goggles.

I hope I wasn't misunderstood, I have no problems with volunteer firefighters or even the guys who want to buff old salty helmets. I just don't see the point of sacrificing safety for fashion(out of your own pocket!), when you're just hanging out with a bunch of dudes all day.

I wear a leather at work and i do have a M.P. bEN 2. The Ben 2 is a lot more comfortable. As far as boots I do like Warrington leathers better but in the winter the soul gets real cold and in the street they are real slippery. Warrington also came out with a kevlar boot with a power toe they are realy light.

I have to agree that the leather boots are great. I recently started wearing the Pro-5000 which have more Kevlar than Leather on the outside. We did alot of pump out calls this weekend, and they kept my feet perfectly dry. They are about the same in comfort as my old leather boots, which I ruind the toes on, like everyone else seems to.

As for helmets. I wear a leather N5A New Yorker. The standard issue helmet in my department is the Ben Franklin II. We chose that helmet for two reasons. First we use to issue Metro's and so many guys bought thier own New Yorkers that we had a bunch of Metro's that were in storage, but were old. The Captain in charge of gear wanted to go with a Traditional style helmet. One member had bought thier own 1010, and another had bought a Bullard, other than their owners noone liked those all that much. We were able to see a recently issued Ben II from New York and after a bit of research selected that as the standard. Another factor was cost. Several of the neighboring departments issue 101's but we have been able to get the Ben II's for less money, whcih in this day and age has to be considered when buying equipment.

I herd that if durring a Haz-Mat sistuation and you are wearing leather boots you will probally need to get rid of them?? Is this true??

Depending on what the HAZMAT is and if you get in the HOT zone you will be losing everything you are wearing.

Edited by HCFRFF

If you wear a salty leather helmet and you volly in westchester, no offense guys, but you look like a tool. Also leather offers limited side impact protection. If you are desperate to look like you just stepped out of a room and contents fire in the projects, then go get the Morning Pride Ben II. I think that is what FDNY is wearing right now and I guarantee it offers a lot more protection than your leathers. As for boots, leather is nice if your department buys them for you, but they cost$$$.

Since when is the fireground such a fashion show?

Phewwww........ Thank GOD I didn't volly in Westchester! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifrolleyes.gif

BOOTS: I have worn the rubber 3/4 boots, rubber bunker boots, leather bunker boots and now the Kevlar ones. I'll be honest, the Kevlar ones have been my favorite to date. The leather wasn't bad, but I yanked out the loops on a total of four boots (two pairs) because they seemed to shrink on me. Plus - the heel in my last pair kind of broke / came loose, and it was cutting into my heel. The leathers also faded considerably compared to the Kevlar. Rubber just plain sucked, in my opinion.

HELMETS: I started with a Bullard "moon-helmet." I then went on to a Cairns "moon-helmet." After a very brief time I got a Cairns 1010. My first one got destroyed at a fire in 1999, and was replaced by another one. I have had a leather helmet for almost 5 years. I got mine mainly because I always admired the look of them - and because I started to get annoyed with my 1010. The 1010 tail seems a little long to me. When I would be looking up at something, it always seemed like I would whack it on my SCBA. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt by dumping the full shield and getting the bourkes, but I still didn't like it. Another thing I ran into and I know others did was those stupid plastic clips that hold the inner shell in always BREAK!

I agree with others about spending money on your "volunteer" gig - but if it is something you do and you do it often - why not make it more comfortable for yourself if the Department won't? I know plenty of guys "on the job" that go out and get thier own stuff.

And, for the record, I clean my stuff quite often. I don't feel like I have to impress anyone with my gear, my boyish good looks are flattering enough..... rolleyes.gif