Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

12" (Twelve Inch!) Hose

21 posts in this topic

Found this on another forum.Schoolys Mountain NJ FD that runs 12" hose with a special wagon for it. I've heard of really large diameter hose in industrial applications, but never a regular FD. Talk about a portable water main. I wonder what they hook into to flow this.

Check out the photos:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/koo...lysMountain.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/koo...ysMountain1.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/koo...1/Manifold1.jpg

Anyone have any further info on this?

OH MY

That is rediculous. Thank goodness they dont have to repack that by hand.

Edited by BedfordFire

Thats great and all but what size is there water mains? 100' of 5"hose holds a 1000 gallons of water so if you do the math you will need more then 2000 gallons of water just to fill a 100' of hose. Doesn't really make much sence. I would think that you would have to have at least a 16" water main and if you have that you have hydrants every 500' and the hydrants must have at least 2000 gallons per min. My 12" mains put out about 1500 gallons a minute. Did they say what it is used for?

Thats great and all but what size is there water mains?  100' of 5"hose holds a 1000 gallons of water so if you do the math you will need more then 2000 gallons of water just to fill a 100' of hose.  Doesn't really make much sence.  I would think that you would have to have at least a 16" water main and if you have that you have hydrants every 500' and the hydrants must have at least 2000 gallons per min.  My 12" mains put out about 1500 gallons a minute.  Did they say what it is used for?

New Jersey Bought a few of these and lets departments operate them . They are for foam operations at refineries and for disasters where a water main is need . The state bought them along with foam tenders , foam deluge units and Air cascade units and USAR units and put them in departments in the North area for disasters .

I remeber reading once, I forgot where, that places in Texas has Large portable water mains. The departments that had these were close to the oil refineries, to supply large amounts of water in case of a fire took over the plant. It only makes sense that it would be used for an extremely large incident to use such a LDH. I am sure there are some other situations too where it can be usefull when the time comes I just hope I am not the one to pack it all back up again.

I found there website Schooley's Mountain Fire Company

This hose tender is part of the Urban Area Security Initiative, and is used jointly with 6 other northern New Jersey counties to be prepared to deal with major regional events. It's part of a regional effort to deal with major catastrophes or terrorist attacks in a six-county region, comprising Morris, Union, Essex, Bergen, Hudson and Passaic counties. It is one component of a task force that can pump out 5,000 to 8,000 gallons of water a minute or provide 3,500 gallons of foam in an instant.

Delivered by the federal Department of Homeland Security, the equipment arrived in May 2005, and Schooley's Mountain firefighters are proud to be an integral part of regional security efforts. It carries 2000 feet of 12" flexible pipeline.

Edited by Jybehofd

These are NJ Division of Fire Safety units, operated by the various departments.. This, along with foam tankers, quick attack foam units, and various other units.. Twin diesel powered Neptune pump.. NJ DFS On the right side, look under DFS videos and its under the foam firefighting video..

Edited by AS702

I'd like to see the firetruck they use to feed the line! must be one large pump. they probably draft out of a pond or river.

So really, you needa all the other pieces to operate properly...

I remeber reading once, I forgot where, that places in Texas has Large portable water mains.  The departments that had these were close to the oil refineries, to supply large amounts of water in case of a fire took over the plant. It only makes sense that it would be used for an extremely large incident to use such a LDH.  I am sure there are some other situations too where it can be usefull when the time comes I just hope I am not the one to pack it all back up again.

I found there website Schooley's Mountain Fire Company

The Houston (Tx) Ship Channel Mutual Aid Group uses Ultra Large 8" (I think) above ground supply hose in cases of large scale emergencies at refineries.

From what I understand the State of New Jersey pruchased this system from Kidde Fire Protection - Angus Flexible Pipline division:

The Next Generation of Large Diameter Hose

Angus has pioneered the use of high performance polymers in hose design for over 20 years. Thousands of miles of Angus hose deployed from Kuwait to Antarctica, from the North Seas to the Falklands, have proven the durability and success of Angus thermoplastic polyurethane hose technology. Now, Angus has taken this state-of-the-art hose technology - technology the United States military has come to depend on - and introduced the next generation of hose for industrial and municipal fluid transport.

The new Angus 8", 10", and 12" Super Aquaduct products are the most technologically advanced fluid transport hoses in the world. Based on their performance characteristics, these hoses are unmatched in every feature. The applications for these products are numerous and create immediate solutions for municipal water suppliers, industrial fire fighters, heavy industry, and power generation suppliers.

"New Technologies for Distribution Solutions"A new "Flexible Pipeline" Deployment System is introduced for large scale water movement operations. Utilizing three system components:1. "Flexible Pipeline" in diameter sizes of 8", 10" and 12" 2. Deployment equipment 3. A series of hardware components, this system now creates a logistically feasible solution to a variety of distribution and maintenance operations.

The system also provides a unique operations package capable of meeting a variety of distribution oriented initiatives including:• Emergency water supply planning and operations • Mutual aid programs • Fire and water operations interface • Distribution system security and backup.

The backbone of the system is a revolutionary new hose manufacturing product technology termed "Flexible Pipeline". These products are extremely lightweight, but are capable of working pressures up to 150 psi. The diameters have never been available before and are suitable for extremely large flows, carrying a "C" factor of approximately 165. They are available in continuous lengths up to 660 feet and can be coupled in the field. Water quality professions will appreciate the NSF 61 approval on the product itself.

Designed as an "Above Ground" system, the distribution professional has a number of deployment options (trailer, reel, box) and can use the system with standard maintenance vehicles. The hardware component includes a number of manifold, valve, and coupling arrangements. The system creates economies with regard to time, manpower and equipment.The system was originally designed to be laid above ground to bridge underground distribution pipelines ruptured in the event of an earthquake. This system has been tested and now being considered by several west coast agencies and municipalities as a significant new distribution and operations system.

The system is capable of benefiting a variety of large and small water providers and those tasked with distribution integrity.

copied from the Kidde Fire website: http://www.kidde-fire.com

I also heard rumor, NYC was looking at a similar system.

Thanks and stay safe

The rebirth of the super pumper and tender?????????

I would like a to see a car try to drive over that hose line!

UASI Hose Tender

2005 Freightliner/National Foam

This hose tender is part of the Urban Area Security Initiative, and is used jointly with 6 other northern New Jersey counties to be prepared to deal with major regional events. It's part of a regional effort to deal with major catastrophes or terrorist attacks in a six-county region, comprising Morris, Union, Essex, Bergen, Hudson and Passaic counties. It is one component of a task force that can pump out 5,000 to 8,000 gallons of water a minute or provide 3,500 gallons of foam in an instant.

Delivered by the federal Department of Homeland Security, the equipment arrived in May 2005, and Schooley's Mountain firefighters are proud to be an integral part of regional security efforts. It carries 2000 feet of 12" flexible pipeline.

5000 GPM pump, hose wagon, nozzle trailer, and hose trailer shown.

A mutual aid agreement enables fire departments to maximize the use of this equipment and effectively plan for its availability to the entire region, especially in those areas that contain critical infrastructure sites that are vulnerable to attack, while the local departments also can benefit by housing and utilizing such cutting edge, extensive equipment.

I'd like to see the firetruck they use to feed the line! must be one large pump. they probably draft out of a pond or river.

If you look at the picture showing the fleet or the video, the pump they use is HUMONGOUS, specially designed just for this system. Aparently its mounted in a container, and is carried to and from the scene on a tri axle freightliner roll off truck.

Wow, Ive seen hoses that size for storm emergencies like when a main water pipe goes and the water for the storm drains (catch basins) has to get pumped. But other than that I think that is ridiculous. I guess if thats what they really need to get the Job done its worth the investment.

I think this would be a good system for FDNY to have especially looking back on

9-11 when the marine units were pumping straight to engine and the ladder trucks. I know the "fire fighter" has a pumping capacity of some were around 20,000 gpms or more. If they can tie the hose into the boats some how it would an incredible assest to the port of new york and surrounding areas.

I think this would be a good system for FDNY to have especially looking back on

9-11 when the marine units were pumping straight to engine and the ladder trucks. I know the "fire fighter" has a pumping capacity of some were around 20,000 gpms or more. If they can tie the hose into the boats some how it would an incredible assest to the port of new york and surrounding areas.

The city had a system like that. They were the super pumpers, massive pump with a hose tender. After years of occasional use the city decided it wasn't worth it and dropped them from service.

What could that have been hooked up to to get water. It might just be me, but I dont think ive ever seen any hydrant connections with a 12" diameter. I wonder what the pumper for that looks like.

What could that have been hooked up to to get water. It might just be me, but I dont think ive ever seen any hydrant connections with a 12" diameter. I wonder what the pumper for that looks like.

These are NJ Division of Fire Safety units, operated by the various departments.. This, along with foam tankers, quick attack foam units, and various other units.. Twin diesel powered Neptune pump.. NJ DFS On the right side, look under DFS videos and its under the foam firefighting video..