Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
f19

What To Expect When Taking Firefighter I ?

16 posts in this topic

I was just wondering, what to expect when taking ff1. I am signed up for a class starting in oct. ???????

Fire hot.

Water wet.

Put wet stuff on red stuff.

Just kidding, couldn't resist a little joke. You can expect to learn the essential basics. I know it sound vague, but it will give you a brief overview on all the topics you will need to know for your fire career.

You may laugh, but you will look back, later on down your fire career, and notice how much you really remember, and that in firefighting, you will fall back on your essentials more often than ANY other skill you may learn.

absolutely true...quite often you see veterans go back and take the basics such as ground ladders, etc. as a refresher sinec it is 100% accurate u will use the basics more in your career than any other class or skills

Its a really excellent course, once you take it you start to think about everything differently, like you know what your doing. As a bonus, depending on the instructer, you get in shape too smile.gif

Your going to have a lot of fun, but you'll work hard. I took the course in the summer in 90 degree heat, it was brutal. We started out walking around with our gear on and walked aorund until we ran out of air. Your going to learn the basics of firefighting, but they will serve you well later on in your career.

have fun , good luck.

heres the honest answer YOU WILL GET OPUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT Its a great course--I teach it as a step by step instruction into the fire service. what buildings are like, tools you need, how to use the tools, what dangers are out there, how to aviod the dangers or at least understand them a little better. Proper use of S.C.B.A. Knowing your equipment--haz-mat, confined space

Theres a lot of reading, lot of testing but its the first course--everythgn is based on FF1

I was just wondering, what to expect when taking ff1. I am signed up for a class starting in oct. ???????

You can expect to learn the basics of firefighting from hose to the mask, knots to ladders, forcible entry to venting.

As an instructor ( not this class) I can tell you you will be expected to be on time, have a good attitude, ask questions, pay attention, grasp the teamwork concept, and to represent your department in the most professional manner you can and go back to your department with the skills you have learned.

Good luck to you.

thanks alot for all the info... you also xfirefighter484x..... man when i first started to read that response,,,,, i was like man what the heck am i doing here .... all this time i thought you guys just watched intill it burnt itself out.. just kidding....

thanks again i cant wait.. looking forward to this course..

Good Luck man, I hope you get some Good instructors and Have Fun with It.

My colleagues summed it up very well. Asstchieffd...damn that was one of the best answers I've seen bro.

Here is a couple of other things.

1. Bring a pen from the first day to the last. Get yourself a notebook, use it for notes and keep a journal for each class of what you learned, did and were surprised by.

2. Have your IFSTA manual before you start and start reading it and have it with you the first day.

3. Be on time, be motivated and take initiative. Its normal to be timid at first, but is someone asks for something to be done. Step up and get it done.

If you're taking the course in Westchester...there is no "hope" you will have good instructors. It is guaranteed you will have good instructors. We top the state in training every year.

My colleagues summed it up very well. Asstchieffd...damn that was one of the best answers I've seen bro.

Thank you. I try to get a good one in once in a while.... smile.gif

thanks again guys, i will keep all this in mind, also what is ifsta? and where can i get it?

thanks again

IFSTA stands for the International Fire Service Training Association, theyre the people who write the training books you'll use in class. Pretty equivilant to the bible, so it would be a good idea to get one. Usually your department should have a few books for people in class so speak to your training officer. If not you can order it straight from the manufacturer at IFSTA.org Good luck and enjoy the course

Edited by CrotonFalls33

Your dept. should be giving you one for the class to use.

If you want to buy one for yourself go through the faculty-student association bookstore out of the Academy of Fire Science in Montour Falls. They give you a discount, won't charge you tax and I believe shipping may be free.

IF your department gives you a book, then use that one and if you want a good basic firefighter skills book, buy the bartlett and jones Fundalmentals of Firefighter Skills. This is one of the best written basic firefighter 1 and 2 books written and has better graphics and pictures then IFSTA.

You can go to www.fireacademyfsa.com or in NY 1800-758-1818

hey , how come no body talks about the exam? whats it like is it hard??

I had my mid-term for Firefighter I it was 25 questions multiple-choice questions