Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mount Vernon Firefighters Pose For Calendar

7 posts in this topic

Mount Vernon firemen pose for 2007 calendar

[attachmentid=1215]

(Photos by Carucha L. Meuse/The Journal News)

By DESIREE GRAND

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: September 17, 2006)

Ladies, get ready. Gentlemen, turn those envious feelings into something productive.

Remember, it's all for a worthy cause.

The Mount Vernon Fire Department is rolling out its first firefighters calendar. The 2007 calendar will feature 14 brawny, bare-chested firemen, suspenders and other fire gear optional.

All proceeds from the sale of the calendars will go to the Maria Fareri Children's Hospital at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla. It will be available in October.

The New York City Fire Department has put out a wildly popular calendar for years, and Mount Vernon firefighter Ernest Richardson didn't see any reason why his department couldn't do the same.

Richardson, who is featured in the calendar, thought it would be a fun way to get firefighters in shape and gain name recognition for the department.

"Guys are already working out for next year," Richardson said. "Everyone is really excited about it and trying to get in shape."

The 29-year-old, who has five years with the department, coordinated the effort for the calendar, which was photographed around the city and in the firehouses. The calendar will be sold from two firehouses, though Richardson is working to get outside vendors to carry it.

Fire Chief Al Everett said he agreed to the idea when Richardson approached him because he knew it would build morale and because the idea came from the ranks.

"I like to see the young guys step up. This is an example that they can help the direction of the department," Everett said. "We hope it will be successful here. It already brought our guys together."

In addition to young men, the calendar will also feature two firemen in their 50s who have 20 years with the department.

One, Jim Breiner, said he refused at first when asked by Richardson if he would pose for the calendar.

"I was not going to compete with all these young guys," Breiner said. "But they persisted. It is nice at 51 years old to be asked to part of something like this."

While other firefighters had to work to get in shape, Breiner and 50-year-old Auphy Dixon were ready to go.

"Staying in shape is my lifestyle," Breiner said.

However, Anthony Morello, 32, lost 14 pounds in a month so he could have a page in the calendar.

"This was a real challenge for me, but I did it," Morello said.

Another firefighter, Justin Chase, said there had always been talk of creating a calendar but it was Richardson who finally made it happen. Chase, 34, who has been with the department for 10 years, also started a training regimen.

"We took the first step and got teased a lot on this," Chase said. "But by next year everyone is going to want to get in on this."

Get 'em while they're hot

A calendar release party will be held Oct. 20 at the Portal Bar & Grill, 88 W. Lincoln Ave., Mount Vernon, at 8 p.m.

The calendars will be available at firehouses at 407 E. Lincoln and 435 S. Fulton avenues for $12.95.

post-3235-1158539030.jpg

lol i think that they would sell alot more if kittle was on it. wink.gifrolleyes.giflaugh.gif

WOW! To think it just takes a calendar to boost morale. Why didn't we think of this 15yrs ago. Maybe guys would have actually liked coming to work! rolleyes.gif

a calender is being put together from the Members of FDMV-It should be out soon. The guys involved really had some laughs putting this together and did a great job. I was out of town the day of the picture takin in case anyone was wondering why i was'nt included in the calender. hudson

Hudson would be holding a hot dog??or a fish ?? or maybe both!!!!! Great Idea and a good cause--Its always wonderful when firefighters help out..

I think Hudson would look awesome wearing a little relish and kraut - no?

biggrin.gif