Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest bibbles10504

Has being a Firefighter or EMT changed your life?

14 posts in this topic

Hey, I was curious as to what everyone else thinks about this.

Do you think that being a firefighter or EMT has changed your life in some way? For example do you realize how dangerous things actually are, or how valuable and fragile a life really is?

This is a pretty open ended question, and those kinds of things are just a couple examples I could think of, but anything else you want to add would be great.

Thanks

I hope there can be a lot of discussion here.

Another honest answer - I got entirely too wrapped up in the fire dept and neglected many (most) other things in my life. I will never regret being a firefighter, but I do regret not being able to leave the firehouse stuff at the firehouse and spending so much time there.

As far as hating people, I don't but I can see how that's easily possible. I will say that it's made me very cynical about most things in life though. Then again, I've seen some ordinary people do extraordinary things and at times, have seen the best of humanity. Along with the worst, of course. I guess on balance, I'd say it's a tie.

Ok, so maybe I should have added any positive changes to the post as well.

Does any one else have any other comments?

I personally have not been a firefighter for too long, but I think i do view somethings differently.

Cool, I guess I should have also added if there were any positive things that changed about you?

But either one works

Thanks

How it changed my life, after about 15 years of off and on EMS and 4 years fire. Well lets say it hasnt changed my life it made me realize how stupid people really are. Yes and well yea it changed my life I also hate people, seriously.

Edited by calhobs

Hating people? Sounds pretty unprofessional and downright ignorant if you ask me. Either way, I don’t think choosing EMS as my career path or working it full time has effected me in any significant way.

in some ways joining the fire dept has changed my life. i used to do bad things (not gonna name any) but im sure you can guess what they were. now i dont. i used to hang out with low lives. now most of my friends are firefighters or emts. its deffinitly changed my veiw of the fire dept. too. i used to think that all firefighters did was run into burning buildings and thats it but of course as we all know we dont just do that. being in the fire department has made me notice that it was the best desision of my life and im alot better for it.

I don't hate people-I really enjoy the vast majority of my patients, most other providers, and even the occasional family member.

I have zero love for stupid people. I've developed an intolerance for a$$holes that unfortunately I can display at inopportune moments.

Positive aspects? Patience for those with diminished capacity (through no fault of their own..intoxes/stoners/dopers do NOT get warm fuzzies from me).

And i thought i was the only one.

That's why we should have taken the BOSTON FD Test! I don't hate anyone in the CornerStone, especially on March 17th biggrin.gif

And i thought i was the only one.

it took me a couple of days to absorb these comments. Before i go into my rant, I have to ask a couple of questions.

for those that "hate" people now that you are in the fire service, are you:

1. career or vol firefighters?

2. career or vol ems workers?

3. how much time do you have in your dept to have developed a hatred for your customers?

I understand "burnout" on the ems side. at some point you are not doing anybody any favors by sticking around and treating people you hate!!!!

LAST TIME I CHECKED NOBODY WAS HOLDING A GUN TO ANYBODY'S HEAD TO BE IN THE FIRE SERVICE OR EMS !!! IF YOU DONT LIKE IT LEAVE !!

Just for the record I have been a career FF. for 25 yrs. and a EMT for 24 yrs.

EVERYDAY THAT I GET TO PUT ON MY UNIFORM AND GO TO WORK MAKES ME SMILE!!!

That's why we should have taken the BOSTON FD Test! I don't hate anyone in the CornerStone, especially on March 17th biggrin.gif

you cant hate anyone in the cornerstone,if you do the lights go up and everybody gets kicked out. biggrin.gif

wink.gif

it took me a couple of days to absorb these comments. Before i go into my rant, I have to ask a couple of questions.

for those that "hate" people now that you are in the fire service, are you:

1. career or vol firefighters?

2. career or vol ems workers?

3. how much time do you have in your dept to have developed a hatred for your customers?

I understand "burnout" on the ems side.  at some point you are not doing anybody any favors by sticking around and treating people you hate!!!!

LAST TIME I CHECKED NOBODY WAS HOLDING A GUN TO ANYBODY'S HEAD TO BE IN THE FIRE SERVICE OR EMS !!! IF YOU DONT LIKE IT LEAVE !!

Just for the record I have been a career FF. for 25 yrs. and a EMT for 24 yrs.

EVERYDAY THAT I GET TO PUT ON MY UNIFORM AND GO TO WORK MAKES ME SMILE!!!

Probably what these people meant Bob, is that they no longer have any patience for some people, not that they hate people in general. I know for a fact that I no longer have too much patience for people, and it's probably a direct result of putting up with too much B/S on my job with the guys and Management, let alone the ungratefuls I took an oath to protect for the past 23yrs. I do envy you though for still being able to go to work with a smile on. I on the other hand usually only have a smile on my face when I pull up and see orange or my relief is walking thru the door. It's unfortunate to because I was the type of individual who couldn't wait to get off vacation to get back to work with the guys. Now I count the days till my next tour off. I guess what it really boils down to is the type of individuals you work with and for whom you work for and in your case brother, you've got the upper hand on me. Stay Safe Bro! wink.gif