Followers 0
dadbo46

Fire district spending has Farmingville hot

26 posts in this topic

Fire district spending has Farmingville hot

BY JULIET CHUNG

Newsday Staff Writer

October 10, 2006

Farmingville's fire commissioners received a tongue-lashing last night from residents upset about the district's spending plans for next year - including more than $300,000 set aside for refurbished rec rooms and a new race car.

As Newsday reported last week, the commissioners recently passed a $2.9-million budget that allocates $260,000 for the renovation of its stations' recreation rooms and $55,000 to buy a race car.

The budget, which will raise local fire taxes by roughly $75 per household, also sets aside $12,000 to raise the pay of a recently hired maintenance mechanic who is the son of one commissioner, the stepson of a second and godson of a third.

"I feel that my Farmingville fire district, my volunteers, are out of control," resident Terry Sherwood, 50, said to the commissioners last night. It was the first scheduled meeting since the budget was approved.

"How many more comforts of home can you have in the firehouse?" Sherwood asked.

"We expect, since we're paying taxes, that we'll have some kind of say in what happens," said Ray Wysolmierski, president of the Greater Farmingville Association, calling for greater accountability.

In a back-and-forth that at times became heated, residents asked how buying a race car relates to saving lives and why such a costly renovation was deemed necessary.

The commissioners, for the most part, declined to answer questions. Last week, when contacted by Newsday, several of them defended their planned spending as ultimately furthering public safety.

One commissioner, Stephen Curtin, has criticized the budget as excessive and lacking proper priorities.

In the district's defense, Commissioner Norman Neill, stepfather to the mechanic who got a pay raise, said that renovating the recreation rooms will decrease emergency response times by keeping volunteer firefighters at the stations.

A new race car will hone the volunteers' firefighting skills by enabling them to compete in drill tournaments, said Commissioner Edward Stewart Jr., father of the mechanic.

Local firefighters have long competed in tournaments where teams race in specially modified vehicles and climb ladders or hook up hoses.

The pay raise for the mechanic, he added, aligns his son's compensation with what similar districts pay mechanics.

Several residents at the meeting said they understand the need for perks, but said the district's planned spending seems excessive.

"I understand these guys need something in the firehouse to keep them here," said one man, who declined to give his name. "But when I hear $50,000 for a race car - C'mon guys, let's be responsible."

State legislators have passed bills requiring greater accountability from fire districts since a Newsday investigation last fall.

What the hell is wrong with these guys?!? Do they not learn their lesson? You know what the biggest joke is? That after all the fallout from the Newsday expose last year, including the passage of quite a bit of state legislation intended to curb this kind of nonsense and abuse, fire districts outside of LI have stood up and taken notice. Our district is now on edge about anything that might or could be misconstrued as irresponsible spending, which is a good thing, don't get me wrong. But it angers me greatly to know that the very same districts that were examined for this abuse are still at it, as if to thumb their noses at everyone. What arrogance!

WOW...... Long Island Volunteer FD's are getting SLAMMED! blink.gif

Sad to hear about something like this, It hurts ALL of us as

VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS!

OK-At the risk of sounding ignorant, and NOT desiring to set off a flame war.....are there really competitions out there for FF's that have them using race cars to show proficiency in some firematic skill?

OK-At the risk of sounding ignorant, and NOT desiring to set off a flame war.....are there really competitions out there for FF's that have them using race cars to show proficiency in some firematic skill?

Yes...

Read all about it!

See it too....

Ladder Raise

It's incredible to watch. However, I cannot fathom how taxpayers should be supporting this.

- Doc.

that is the craziest thing that I have ever seen, that looks so dangerous how can that activity be associated with the fire service. On a plus side it is fun to watch. ohmy.gif

See it too....

Ladder Raise

It's incredible to watch.  However, I cannot fathom how taxpayers should be supporting this.

- Doc.

holy crap blink.gif

What does ANY of that have to do with actual firefighting??? It looks like nothing more than a circus act full of dangerous and juvenile stunts. Way to hose the taxpayers. As if buying million dollar apparatus, 10 million dollar palaces for firehouses, giving each commissioner their own vehicle, taking extravagant trips all around the country, etc etc etc weren't bad enough. I'm actually pretty stunned, I can't believe this crap actually goes on and no one has completely shut these districts down, sued them or had charges of fraud and misuse of tax dollars brought against them. Absolute disgrace.

What does ANY of that have to do with actual firefighting??? It looks like nothing more than a circus act full of dangerous and juvenile stunts. Way to hose the taxpayers. As if buying million dollar apparatus, 10 million dollar palaces for firehouses, giving each commissioner their own vehicle, taking extravagant trips all around the country, etc etc etc weren't bad enough. I'm actually pretty stunned, I can't believe this crap actually goes on and no one has completely shut these districts down, sued them or had charges of fraud and misuse of tax dollars brought against them. Absolute disgrace.

I totally agree. What it actually boils down to is the old saying They are nothing more then big boys with big toys. It makes the rest of the volunteer world look bad.

I looked, but where does the race car fit in?

Ladders, hoses, buckets........what about the race car?

Any commisioner that thinks this is honing his firefighters skills should fired. Its obvious that some new leadership is needed in Farmingville. I agree with RES6CUE looks more like a circus act. This is going to decrease response times to? Maybe they are going to use the racecar as their first responding apparatus. Get a grip LI there are alot better ways to spend budgeted money then this.

Edited by fjp326

that is the craziest thing i have ever seen! i remember when in rockland we used to have a field day at rockland lake it was nothing like that.

Edited by ff026

So how exactly is this suppose to work on making skill proficient.

Let me guess,

The engine company races up to the front of the house, the hydraulic lift begins to lower as the rig approaches, firefighter grabs the ladder throws it up against the house, while the company officer races up the ladder, all without SCBA on?

Matt,

I PM'd you back the other day - maybe it didn't transmit. I'm good, man...busy as always. Am loving riding on fire calls again, and am settling into BHFD quite well. Otherwise, work is killing me. I am taking FF Survival next week - any chance you're in that class?

Otherwise, I might go to that GBFD drill - if there's an open spot. Maybe I'll see you there.

SM

I didn't believe that FD's had competition race cars either. That was, until, i was on the NYS Thruway and saw several FDs (all from L.I.) traveling SB with these race cars in tow. Not only did they have souped-up race cars, but also had large commercial trucks (lettered & w/lights) to tow them! I also couldn't believe that many of them had at least 1, if not more, chiefs car with them.

Hmm, flagrant spending much? Thats just rediculous and outta control! These guys need to be stopped and have some control in their spending. I too would be pissed if i were a taxpayer in one of these districts. And how the hell can racing a car better your firefighting skills? rolleyes.gif

JUst curious,if someone gets killed during these "drills" ,is this considered Line of Duty?

Yep and there are teams upstate too in NY, look at Monroe County for one, but the memebers raise the money themselves, the do not use FD funds.

I just saw that video and i had to laugh afterwards. After taking part in many many hours of training to better my skills so i can better serve everyone on the fireground I see this. You have to think to yourself what fire instructors are thinking when they see this kind of crap! All the training and seminars to try and reduce the amount of LODD's every year and this kinda $hit is still happening.

As for the firemen in Farmingville...Thanks for making the rest of us look like a$$holes. Waste of time and taxpayers money for that race car. Back to the basics for them!

Edited by DMA327

A new race car will hone the volunteers' firefighting skills by enabling them to compete in drill tournaments,

Ok so how is this helping their firefighting skills? if i recall you are not supposed to ride on the tailboard, not suppose to run on the scene, wear all your PPE and also a SCBA. lets also not forget travel at a reasonable speed to the scene. they look like a bunch of yahoo's.

i also agree with the point that you guys were showcased for fleesing the taxpayes for all this money and then you say you want to buy a race car in your budget? maybe ya should have left that part out. the rec room may have needed some work but i am sure they were only gonna buy a bigger fridge for beer, resurface the bar they have now, buy a new pooltable as well as redo the bathroom so it have $1 bills for toilet paper.

there are some other departments in the state that could use the state money that you guys get on top of the tax dollars. maybe the state could limit what a department that has been found doing some of this over-spending can recieve

I didn't believe that FD's had competition race cars either.  That was, until, i was on the NYS Thruway and saw several FDs (all from L.I.) traveling SB with these race cars in tow.  Not only did they have souped-up race cars, but also had large commercial trucks (lettered & w/lights) to tow them!  I also couldn't believe that many of them had at least 1, if not more, chiefs car with them.

Hmm, flagrant spending much?  Thats just rediculous and outta control!  These guys need to be stopped and have some control in their spending.  I too would be pissed if i were a taxpayer in one of these districts.  And how the hell can racing a car better your firefighting skills?  rolleyes.gif

This stuff used to be on ABC Wide world of sports back in the early '70's.

FD racing is a faster version of the midnight alarm runs done like at the Engine 260 muster. You ride the old trucks old style, gear up in turnouts and pull-up boots and pull the lines to hit a target as the pump op drafts from a tank.

FD racing is a twist to this wearing protective gear, not turnouts, hooking to a hydrant to flow water or throwing a ladder up. I's a crazy fast sport in my opinion but it is a drill competition that been around since the 50's I think.

You can't compare this to riding to a call. Its a speed thing.

PS I'm not defending it, I have seen many competitions like this when visiting family in northern NY who participate in this.

i know it is a drill team and not like real, but "A new race car will hone the volunteers' firefighting skills by enabling them to compete in drill tournaments". sounds alot like honing there skills for bragging rights and not so much for actual firefighting. i have never seen one but i know about them. looks fun and all but i think they need to not lie to the taxpayers about what it is for.

I have been to many of these race car competitions over the years while visiting friends of mine who are members of a L.I. FD. They are great to watch and there is a lot of fun involved. I have also seen several bad accidents where guys had to be taken away in ambulances. I know one guy that lost his thumb during a competition.....and yes!....anytime these guys get hurt it is covered by the FDs workers comp insurance.

I have also been in many of the rec rooms in different stations that I visited. These places look like a bar that the general public would visit for a drink or two.

I once visited an FD that has a one square mile fire district. They have 10 pieces of apparatus in their station, plus 3 chief's cars. They also have their own dispatchers even though County FireCom is more then capable of doing the job.

As a matter fact there are many FDs on the Island that have their own dispatch. They have voice and digital dispatching with MDTs in all theirs trucks. They have their own radio systems that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars etc.

Do not get me wrong, I am often jealous of these things and I wish that my agency had them. If tax payers really want to complain about spending they should just look past race cars and rec rooms and dig deeper into the budget.

If that budget passes, someone should be shot.

Thanks guys for making everyone look bad.

I cant believe that only one department on th eisland is having trouble with the budget!!! ther should be a revolt there. I believe in giving them the comforts of home, making life easier in the station, but lets remember why they are there in the first place. To protcet the citizens. racing a car and doing the things i saw in the video arent about fire protection, or training. If thinga are that good and ther is that much money--put some career staffing on. offf they wont because then they have to go train them according to the state of New York.

Do many of you realize that Long Island dosent have a State Firefighter one or 2. They have their own reaining and their own certification. shows you what they think of the rest of the State. maybe its the water out there.

just my thoughts