Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Changes To EMTBravo.com Main Page- Input Wanted

27 posts in this topic

We're looking to make changes to the main (front) page of EMTBravo.com to make it easier to navigate. We already have several ideas in mind, but before we implent the changes, we want to hear from you.

When you visit EMTBravo.com, what are the most important things to you on the front page? How can we make it easier to navigate through all our sites and content? How can we present the main page better?

Also to note, we are in the process of adding an easy to use site map for the novice EMTBravo visitor.

Input from as many different users as possible on this topic will help us build an even better EMTBravo.com.

Thanks!!

-EMTBravo

(NOTE: EMTBravo is on vacation until this Sunday, 10/15/06. All website updates and email replies will be delayed until then)

if you can set it up such like a personalized Google home page, where you can select what you want to go where, and what you want and dont want to see, that would be nice.

The internet program is called ajax i think...but I will look further into it

Edited by EMSJunkie712

it seems a little too comercial and way off the beatin path that it has once taken.

It's cluttered up with way too much stuff!

It's cluttered up with way too much stuff!

Exactly. There is no reason why there needs to be so much on a splash page. Just provide links to the different features instead of showing all of them.

As it stands now, the home page is too big for a PDA to download. I would like to see it fit on my PDA.

I was hesitant to create this topic, because it seems I hear more complaints about EMTBravo.com then I do positive feedback, and it's quite discouraging. But I want to make the CONTENT easier to NAVIGATE, and want to hear CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS/INPUT so that I can make it better for all members( I already have some ideas) That's why I created this thread.

There's going to be some code and other changes, but no major changes to the appearance or script at this time. Once again, I am looking for input on how to make the main page of EMTBravo.com easier to navigate to all the increasing content we are providing.

As for the ads, what am I supposed to do? I didn't want to advertise so I didnt comprimise the main page, but I needed funding, which wasn't coming in through donations. So now I'm hearing complaints about them, yet do you realize these ads are a neccessity, and keep EMTBravo online and FREE for you to use?

So, I know many of you feel it is "cluttered", but what would make it seem less cluttered to you without comprimising promoting the content we are providing?

way off the beatin path that it has once taken.

Please explain this comment further. I don't understand how it's "way off the beaten path"?

Seth - this site rocks - it is my only outlet to live the buff life I once did!

I agree about the main page being cluttered as well..... perhaps use smaller text ?

Check out this site - they have MANY sponsors and keep things relativly tidy by a ever changing ad up top (forums specific - FYI); www.archerytalk.com

What do I look for first when checking in?

I like the main picture feature, then immediatly check out the incident alerts.

Keep up the good work!

MORE PICTURES! It used to be that every time I signed on there was a group of new pictures, now its the some story every day.

More of a menu to choose where you want to go.

I had some trouble getting to he main page today. Was anything wrong?

MORE PICTURES!  It used to be that every time I signed on there was a group of new pictures, now its the some story every day.

More of a menu to choose where you want to go.

This is a another complaint I hear often., no matter if I post 1 photo a day or 1000 photos a day. I don't want to get too of topic, since the question I asked was regarding site navigation, but I want to answer this.

If you read another thread in this forum, as well as my comment in the initial post on this thread, you will see that I am ON VACATION (yet notice still can't escape worrying about the site). Therefore, you won't see any photos posted untill I get back this coming Sunday.

This site is fueled by the members and my personal creatvity. I maintan this site during my personal free time, and post the best photos that I recieve with the amount of time I have to work with. If it's slow and I'm not getting a lot of GOOD/appropriate photos submitted, then you're not going to see new photos posted every day. If it's "busy" and I'm getting a lot of GOOD photos submitted, or I or a staff photographer has time to go out and get photos, then you'll see new photos posted often. I'm also working on a new features to get photos up faster, and delegating some work so the site gets updated more often.

Again, I am working in a number of different ways to provide a variety of content for members/visitors to this site. One example is x635:The Blog, which was recently launched.l tThis site, which is an extension of some of the content on EMTBravo.com, is already recieving some impressive visitor tallies and feedback. ANother, FIreEMSAlpha.com, we are continuing to work on and build.

I had some trouble getting to he main page today.  Was anything wrong?

As far as the trouble logging on to EMTBravo this AM, we are having difficulties with the feeds from NYCFire.net and FireEMSAlpha.com. When those sites are having difficulties, EMTBravo.com cannot get the feed and times out loading. We are working on that issue.

As for the ads, I'm going to look into intergrating them better into the site to make them less obtrusive.

Getting back to the point, site traffic continues to grow, so I must be doing something right (knock on wood). I have a ton of ideas in store, and a lot of diverse content that I am trying to provide, all indexed on a central "portal" page which I'm trying to make easier to navigate. The site is still true to my vision, easy to navigate and use. Thanks to all for the feedback.

I think the site is awsome.

The links to the other sites should probably be at the bottom of the page. The recent incidents should be near the top, followed by the recent photos.

I was hesitant to create this topic, because it seems I hear more complaints  about EMTBravo.com then I do positive feedback, and it's quite discouraging. But I want to make the CONTENT easier to NAVIGATE, and want to hear CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS/INPUT so that I can make it better for all members( I already have some ideas) That's why I created this thread.

There's going to be some code and other changes, but no major changes to the appearance or script at this time. Once again, I am looking for input on how to make the main page of EMTBravo.com easier to navigate to all the increasing content we are providing.

As for the ads, what am I supposed to do? I didn't want to advertise so I didnt comprimise the main page, but I needed funding, which wasn't coming in through donations. So now I'm hearing complaints about them, yet do you realize these ads are a neccessity, and keep EMTBravo online and FREE for you to use?

So, I know many of you feel it is "cluttered", but what would make it seem less cluttered to you without comprimising promoting the content we are providing?

Please explain this comment further.  I don't understand how it's "way off the beaten path"?

Boy, if that's your attitude, take this site and stick it in your cram hole!!!

JUST KIDDING BUDDY!!!! I have always appreciated the site and all of your efforts. My only suggestion is to add more pics and possible move them towards the top of the home page?! It's a PITA to scroll all the way down to see them.

As for the ads, they're not too big and are to the point. No reason to alter them.

Keep up the good work lil' buddy.

PS - If I can help with anything, like always, let me know.

Edited by Remember585

I find the EMTBravo.com page incredibly easy to navigate, and uncluttered, especially compared to other sites out there. I enjoy all the content, I just wish there was an "express" way to view it all, and see what's new, for those that don't have a lot of time to spend on the internet.

Brother you gave the means to share and discuss issues on a direct local level. Something other sites like firehouse and fire engineering couldn't.

I agree easier to navigate would be nice. I don't know what is involved but how about a line near the top of the page with links to take you right where you want to go. That way you don't have to scroll down the page. You can hit the link immediately.

Too commericial. Welcome to America pal. Go to Firehouse.com and try to get some of their stuff without paying to be in the "memberszone" or with their 100's of advertisements flashing at you. You don't want adds, give more money. You like the site..then deal with it and support the businesses that buy the adds to help keep it on.

Thanks to ALS and others for the positive input. It's much appreciated and what keeps me motivated.

After checking my PM box:

It's quite discouraging to hear some of the things I have heard here and via PM. I spend many hours working on the site, and it annoys me that some people have PM'd or posted the site is going to crap.....yet the numbers of visitors keep going up. I try to design this site around what the members want, which is the purpose of this thread.

Compared to other sites (Firehouse.com, 1st Responder, etc) I don't at all feel this site is cluttered, difficult to use, or "too much". I am trying to figure out a way to make the increasing amount of diverse content I am trying to provide easier to navigate. This site is very simple to use, and some of the things people want or demand is just due to laziness or selfishness (take aways the ads, etc) I really don't feel it's that difficult or cumbersome a site to use. So,

To other members, please continue the ideas and input on how the NAVIGATION and LAYOUT of EMTBravo.com can be improved upon. I am taking in all of them and considering every one when continuing to develop the site into a PORTAL SITE for all of the content I am looking to bring together.

P.S. I would really like to hear SOME OF THE THINGS PEOPLE LIKE about the main page of EMTBravo.com too.

Seth,

This site started out with you telling me at 3 AM, "Hey check this out"

Remember? I will never forget. We went from a few guys and a few topics

to what? 5,000 members and more topics than you can imagine.

THAT IS AMAZING!

This site EMTBravo has enabled THOUSANDS of Firefighters, Police Officers,

EMTs, and Paramedics to network and discuss multiple topics. No site offers that

unless it's a bashing/rant site which is something you have stayed far away from.

A LOT of stuff that goes on here in our own county I would not know without EMTBravo.

Just to clear the air, I was in no way putting the site down. I was just stating MY opinion.

It does seem a little cluttered when you log on the the EMTBravo.com page but I understand the site needs it's sponsors to continue.

In closing I just want to say THANK YOU as a friend and as a EMTBravo member.

Maybe other members could show some appreciation for all of the work you do on this site for us and DONATE!

Theres To many Picture links at the bottom. The firts thing I look at is the Incident thing for westchester, then look for new pics, then look at the topics.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

I am not sure what the original intention of this thread was but I am pretty sure it was asking for feedback. Well, feedback is what you got......some good, some bad. Instead of complaining about the criticism just take it in stride. The site is awesome...it probably always will be. However, the newly added advertisements and HUGE text is big change from what most members remember as a simple page. Maybe some of that stuff (i.e. blog, links) can be moved lower in the start-up page. Otherwise, it's pretty good. Let's just hope the ads don't get out of hand.

You have to take the bad with the good. If you can't deal with the not so positive criticism, then you probably shouldn't ask for any input at all. You should know by now that it's more or less human nature for people to point out the negatives before they'll heap praise upon you. I think the sheer amount of people that post here and visit all your sites should be positive reinforcement enough, shouldn't it?

You have to take the bad with the good. If you can't deal with the not so positive criticism, then you probably shouldn't ask for any input at all. You should know by now that it's more or less human nature for people to point out the negatives before they'll heap praise upon you. I think the sheer amount of people that post here and visit all your sites should be positive reinforcement enough, shouldn't it?

I am not sure what the original intention of this thread was but I am pretty sure it was asking for feedback. Well, feedback is what you got......some good, some bad.

Thanks for the advice on how to take criticism, and believe me, I fully expect it when posting a thread like this. This is how it's been anytime I've asked for input during the past 3 years this forums been in operation. I don't like to make input email only to avoid criticism, because then I lose members playing off other members ideas and an open discussion.

What bothers me is some of the thing not apparent on this thread, like the people who complain about the ads, yet when the donation program was up to avoid ads, that person contributed nothing. Or the people who complain about lack of or not enough photos, yet never submit any or any quality usable photos. Also, some other comments I get via PM irk me, and I want to make sure my message is clear to all members, despite the fact I may come across as annoyed at times.

I spend hours upon hours working on this site as mentioned, in fact I'm on the beach in Oregon as I type this. I just need to vent a little every now and then, that's all. There's a lot more that goes on with this site then meets the eye. I get a ton of positive feedback, along with a ton of criticism, and the fact people are so passionate about this site does say something.

I'm going to ALWAYS ask for input, and always interact with my members, because this is a site driven for and by the members. Again, let's get back on topic and I want to hear how I can work on making EMTBravo.com an even better portal to the local emergency services world.

I have a ton in store for this site, look for a cleaner and easier to navigate EMTBravo.com coming soon, and many new features. So, stay tuned and thanks to everybody for their input and support, and please keep it coming so I can perfectly tune it with everyones wants and needs.

Three words: Content Management System (CMS). Makes managing the page and navigation MUCH easier.

Brother if they don't have the balls to say it here in the open, then they don't deserve a reply and I hope you don't even take the time too.

You asked for feedback on how to navigate and improve the front page, not for those to get start a b!tch session. So I respect your need to vent. Ooosfaba. Ooosbaba. LOL.

I think maybe what you need to figure out is what are the most important things on the site that the most people come to look for. Do most people come to see the message forums or do more people come to see the latest pictures? Do most come to see the blogs or other links?

Personally, the frst thing i look for is the Incident Alerts and then the different topics on the message forums. So, I would say that those links should be closest to the top with a new picture each day(if possible), like it is now, heading the page. That would be followed by links to the other featues according to what is most popular. You may know that better than anyone.

I would say though that in looking at the main page today that it is a little long and that some of the links to the pictures near the bottom are a few months old and that perhaps they could be taken off sooner. I would guess that a majority of viewers have seen them by now anyway. Doing this may eliminate some of the "clutter" that some are referring to.

Overall though, I appreciate the hard work and time that you put into the site and if you did nothing else to change it that would be fine too.

First off, I love this site. I check it everyday, it has even edged out Slashdot. When I come here I look at 1) Incidents, 2) Recent topics, and 3) (If I have time) maybe some of the photos.

I think that you should have a side bar with links to various sections (forums, older photos, donation, x635 the blog, FireEMSAlpha, links, about EMTBravo, etc). I think you should still have a main photo, the incident list (maybe shorten it a bit to 3-4 incidents per subsection), the last 5 or so topics in the forums, the latest article on FireEMSAlpha, and your latest blog posting. Put 2-3 ads on the bottom of the main page, and at the bottom of every section. Have one ad right underneath the main photo between the photo and the incidents, latest topics, etc. This should still allow you to have a significant number of ads without having a cluttered feel.

Just my opinion. Keep up the good work Seth.

-Jared

Thanks to all for the continued input.

I've decided that I am going to completly rebuild the infastructure of EMTBravo.com over the winter. EMTBravo.com will transform into a portal to bring togehter all our content, as well as some new features.

Although the appearance of the page isn't going to change vastly, there will be some coding changes to make the page load easier, some navigational items added to make the site easier to browse through, changes to make the content more organized, and some other changes to make the site easier to operate and update.

Please also note we have a limited amount of advertisers and advertising space. Advertisments, which represents sponsorship of the sites, will never overtake or be the majority of the site.

So, stay tuned as we continue to develop EMTBravo.com. Remember, input is always wanted and appreciated.

EMTBravo@EMTBravo.com

seth & all in this discussion -

My Fellow Brothers...

Seth puts alot of work into this page. I really don't think many of you know what he goes thru to to keep this page together. This is al labor of love.. He doe not make much money if any at all on this site. I imagine he reinvests the money back into upgraded equipment. With all of the "negative"comments he gets him a little disturbed. look for sites that you like the way they are laid out and forward him the ideas.

Let seth take those idea's, come up with some lay out concepts, put them on here for us to use our given right democracy and let that be the decision.

Keep up the great work seth... regardless of my b**** email i have sent you in the past.

check out these couple sites. These are laid out real nice with the links to the sides and the front page with the "featured photos" on the front page.

North Boroughs Fire

HOOPIE WORLD

SC ON FIRE

Carolina Fire News

Philly Fire News

Even Orlando's site is nice. That is a nice lay out to work from.

LA FIRE PHOTOS

Chris...

LDRCO195

Monroeville Fire Co. # 5