Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

The end of STAT Flight

22 posts in this topic

As we know it...

A sad day in Westchester EMS History. WMC has rid itself of STAT Flight, and the whole thing will now be run by Air Methods, the helicopter vendor. Staffing cuts and more fun things to follow.

any news articles/press releases anywhere about this?

Will Stat-Flight still provide service to Westchester? Will they still be based locally? Stat-Flight can be a great resourse, when used right, so it would be a shame to see it leave. Curious to hear further info on this news, keep us posted STAT!

So I guess the overhaul and upgrade on the 2nd helo won't be happening for you guys anytime soon either.

For many of you not overly familiar with Air evac ops, this isn't an uncommon event in the cesspool of our nations Trauma Centers. There are several areas in our country whom don't enjoy the benefits of having a trauma 1 in a neighboring county, and often have super extended flight times by air alone.

Although a helicopter is an important asset to the WC, especially with the traffic that is ever increasing on our roadways, it's not nearly as important to us as it is to the upper Hudson Valley, such as Greene and Orange counties.

Privatizing the Helicopter program in the hands of a corporation, although experienced at this type of venture, is a huge step back for EMS in the Hudson Valley region. I do not know the full details of this new operation, but I would assume that a program such as this is better left locally controlled. I understand it costs a bundle to operate, but what is that money compared to all the lives it has saved. That sounds trite, but the MI or Trauma patient who gets to the needed level of care sooner has a signifcantly better prognosis. WMC, after years of fiscal mismanagment IMO, takes another wrong step. And if they don't watch out, this helicopter will be needed even more, since transport times to the next Level I will be increased vastly.

From what i have heard, STAT Flight will only be running one helicopter at a time when they fully change to their new system. That would basically screw anybody who has a bad accident and the helicopter is on a few hr. transport somewhere. I also heard that staffing is going down and they are reducing salaries so many flight nurses are going back to the ICU to regain some of the pay they're losing from the cut. Not sure if this is all true but if it is, it's sure gonna put a damper on the upper hudson valley region!

There are rumors flying around right now, as you would well imagine. I doubt LifeNet (the new owners/company) are gonna change anything overnight. You will not being seeing all the same faces. Life Net staffs four FT nurses and four FT medics for each a/c base that they have, so you do the math on how many people will be working there. I do know that they are looking for 8 FT and 2 PT nurses to staff the helicopters. Medics shouldn't be changing, as they were already Rocky/Air Methods/Life Net employees. So, will things change tomorrow? Doubtful. In the future, you bet. Take a look at how LifeNet runs things around the country, and you will see what is coming for the Hudson Valley.

What was the STATFLIGHT staffing like before they were disbanded. How big a crew? One copter was located at WCMC where was the other one?

Mike

Air 2 is out of Orange County.

There has been some mumbling out of Dutchess/Putnam about Alamo starting up a helicopter with a Sikorsky already purchased. No verification made. Should be interesting if they are doing that, considering they can't handle what they have already.

air 2 has been out of orange county it moved north to colbalt airport to a better facility for the crew

I have heard the rumour about Alamo since I started working at STAT over five years ago. Back then, it was a Bell 206B also "already purchased" that they were going to do "stable interfacility transports" with. When you see the Sikorsky/Bell land on your scene or at a local hospital is when I would finally believe that Alamo has put an aircraft inservice.

It is too bad about the current doings of STAT Flight, but it is a national trend in airmedicine. Many years ago, every flight program in South Carolina was a service like STAT, hospital employees with a contracted aviation service. Not one program remains as such today. As long as the privates can make money doing, they will continue to do so. But, as soon as the dollars start to dry up, bye bye helicopters. Be interesting to see what Life Net does with the two new additions to their growing NY fleet. (They just added a second a/c to the Albany system.) They will put them wherever they feel will best serve them and get them flights, trust me. Its how they have operated across the country.

Yeah when I came on with Alamo part time after they took in Sloper they were all giddy about the concept of a bird again also. They would have no problem staffing it if they got it. Heck, I'd probably look pretty good in a maroon flight suit, the military green always did me justice...lol. All kidding aside, Alamo in my opinion has enough to work out. Although it would be a great funding argument if things go downhill in regard to air evac in the future.

Hmmmm.....39Air1?

alsfirefighter wrote:

Hmmmm.....39Air1?

I LOVE IT!

When is STAT supposed to do these changes?

As far as I have heard Both helicopters are staying where they are with the new Air Methods RN's.

Our problem will be the availability of the aircraft. They will be doing more and more inter-facility transports that do not begin or end at WMC.

The result will be no aircraft available for scene work.

They are here to make money, period!!!!!

Of course 636. You don't think they are soley here to supplement the nation's trauma system to improve survival rates for those severely injured on the fringes of trauma centers. When does any agency follow recommendations for improval of survival when it comes from federal studies or agencies?

Modern day healthcare.....especially the motto of Westchester County area EMS........."Profit Over Patient"

Whatever happened to "To delivery quality healthcare regardless of economic circumstance"????

Have these changes already been put into place?

I have requested the bird and I have gotten the response that they are finding out who is available.

I finally got an ETA of 18 mins.

This is garbage.

18 mins. to a LZ in Westchester? I mean it could really happen at any point if air 1 is already on a txp and you get air 2 or lifeguard, but I'm just curious as to where you were waiting? And is is quicker to drive?

After numerous calls to other helo's, the ambulance had alreadt decided to go to the closest trauma center, Danbury.

From what I have heard, the Westchester Medical Center nurses either have worked or will be working their last shifts very shortly. 10 of the nurses from WMC will be hired on, or have been hired on at crew for the new program. Medics will stay the same. There were close to 20 nurses. 636's reference to them doing more work out of the area is very true. Previously to do what was called a "third party" transport, or a flight that did not terminate at WMC, a fabulous amount of paperwork was needed prior to lift off. No more. Air Methods will be happy to go anywhere, any time. Those aircraft are now part of the LifeNet of NY system, and will do flights as needed and where needed. Air Methods is a decent company, but its is a private company. The days of having a helicopter always available in Westchester are gone. Unless, of course there is a significant increase in volume and Air Methods sees the value of having more a/c in the downstate area. Don't think this can't happen, they have more aircraft in Arizona than you can shake a stick at. That with multiple competing programs in the area. Bottom line, keep calling for the helicopter. Make them see how it is needed in Westchester, and badly.