Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonythefireman

Yellow Helmet

23 posts in this topic

Is it my aging eyes?....watching the video from the plane crash on the news, looked like a yellow helmet in the window of the highrise?......any you NY jakes know why?....didnt think FDNY had anything but white and black?.......Tnx in advance

Probably a member of NYPD ESU at the scene. They wear helmets at scenes such as this due to the heavy debris/damage.

could be a really salty white one.

Somebody can correct if I am wrong but I believe FDNY EMS are now issued yellow gear or so I hear.

Edited by TRUCK 831

Somebody can correct if I am wrong but I believe FDNY EMS are now issued yellow gear or so I hear.

FDNY-EMS wears either blue Morning Pride Coats or now some are wear Tan Coats and Pants. EMT's and Medics wear orange helmets and officers wear white

Edited by joeya7

I could be wrong, if so please correct me.

I believe that the memebers of the FDNY-EMS HAZ MAT Tactical Unit

are issued Tan Turnout Gear and Yellow Helmets.

On the NBC News footage I saw this. Rear of the coat said

FDNY EMS.

I could be wrong, if so please correct me.

I believe that the memebers of the FDNY-EMS HAZ MAT Tactical Unit

are issued Tan Turnout Gear and Yellow Helmets.

On the NBC News footage I saw this. Rear of the coat said

FDNY EMS.

from what ive seen,they are now wearing yellow.

I saw the article in some fd magazine, its official FDNY EMS is now issued morning pride tan gear the same kind as FDNY just tan, pretty sweet i think cool.gif

If it was a yellow helmet with black gear it is the auxiliary / explorer unit. I forget what thier official title is. Look in the FDNY feild manual, they'll tell you about them.

where can one find the FDNY field manual?

I saw the article in some fd magazine, its official FDNY EMS is now issued morning pride tan gear the same kind as FDNY just tan, pretty sweet i think cool.gif

Simmilar to what the fire side wears. EMS gear has flash, BBP and chemical splash protection. Its a simmilar shell with a BBP and chamical splash lining. The biggest difference is the EMS gear doesn't have the thermal protection Fire does.

where can one find the FDNY field manual?

you can get it from like the FIreman's Friend, www.fire-police-ems.com and such. The actual name of the book is Fire Department of New York, - An Operational Reference. I have the 2002 reference guide printed just after 9-11-01. I think they are on the fifth or sixth edition. It's a really good book to have for anyone looking to Buff NYC.

And I chedked the yellow helmet are for auxiliaries but there is no explaination for that unit. However I think there is a section about them on FDNY official website by the city.

I don't think it is the same spec gear. The gear EMS has only offers flash protection not entry gear. I think don't quote me.

OK so I wasn't the only one who thought that helmet looked yellow. I didn't think that the Auxiliaries were all that active in NYC anymore but I may be wrong.

I do know that White Ben Franklin II's do get kind of yellowish with age and use. I've seen a couple that really didn't look all that white anymore.

OK so I wasn't the only one who thought that helmet looked yellow. I didn't think that the Auxiliaries were all that active in NYC anymore but I may be wrong.

I do know that White Ben Franklin II's do get kind of yellowish with age and use. I've seen a couple that really didn't look all that white anymore.

Well at least there someone else that saw that shot! didnt seem to be a Chief officer because it was an individual doing overhaul?....hmmmmm....

Anyone know where that photo was printed so we can stop speculating and get an actual answer?

I saw it as part of the coverage on TV, it was one of many shots strung together while the commentators were talking on the late night news. I doubt if it is still avalible. This might just have to remain a mystery.

Are these the yellow helmets you guys are looking for ?????

[attachmentid=1400]

credit: AFP/Getty Images

post-839-1161091848.jpg

FDNY EMS- orange helmets

Cornell EMS- black helmets w/ white pants

FDNY EMS Haztac-orange helmets w/ scott packs

NYPD ESU- light blue or dark navy helmets

The guys with yellow helmets look like voluntary hospital EMS, maybe Lenox Hill?

Are these the yellow helmets you guys are looking for ?????

[attachmentid=1400]

credit: AFP/Getty Images

I thought he was talking about inside of the building during overhaul. It looked like a yellow helmet but It could have been a well weathered chief's white. That's what I though he was talking about.

True, the guys in the pic are not inside. I saw yellow helmets, gave it a try..... wink.gif

The helmet I saw briefly in a window was a Tradiional style (New Yorker or Ben Franklin, ect.) not the metros common among EMS. I know that some of the hospital based ambulances wear yellow metros and so do some of the Volunteer EMS units. BRAVO in Brooklyn does, not that I think they would have been anywhere near that scene.

There are a lot of Chief's Helmets out there, which have turned yellow. I mean very yellow. The newer stlye ones don't stay white very long and after time they will start to turn yellow.