Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

80's FDNY Mack

32 posts in this topic

I was driving by engine 38 ladder 51 in the bronx when I noticed that the bay door was open and that there was a old mack in the bays

it looked like it was from the 80's

can any one explain what it was doing there and other things why it was there or was I just seeing things after a long day of work

thanks

To the best of my knowledge, FDNY still has some Macks as

Shop Replacement units when rigs are out of service.

I have seen a few in the Bronx.

I really miss the Macks. biggrin.gif

I havent seen any old Mack engines when I drive in the BX, but I have seen Mack Aerialscopes serving as temp replacements. Also older Seagrave Straightsticks and engines

If it is the case that it was a replacement rig then which rig was it and what was it replacing and what was the matterr with it

You will have to call FDNY and ask them. LOL!

To the best of my knowledge, FDNY still has some Macks as

Shop Replacement units when rigs are out of service.

I have seen a few in the Bronx.

I really miss the Macks.  biggrin.gif

yeah good rigs,In the summer you get the real Weber effect riding in the back,can"t say i'll miss that.

You will have to call FDNY and ask them. LOL!

I would but i dont know the number and i might get the run around just like all government organizations LOL

I would but i dont know the number and i might get the run around just like all government organizations LOL

I think he was kidding. wink.gif

The primary rig is probably just out of service for maintenance or repairs, so the shops assigned them one of the Macks for the time being. Not unusual at all.

yeah good rigs,In the summer you get the real Weber effect riding in the back,can"t say i'll miss that.

Our 1972 CF700 was even worse than the CF600s most depts ran. Those Mack V8s were notorious for pumping out TONS of heat. That's one of the reasons Mack didn't make many CF cabs with the V8, they would overheat too much, even with the open cab design.

If it was a mack.. It would have to be a Tower Ladder.. There are almost no Mack Engines around, I think there is just one 2000gpm pumper left and a few foam rigs. Spares and Reserves are all seagraves.

It's an '88 mack TL spare which has and will be there for a while.....next time, stop in and say hello............we may be the dog house but no one bites!!!!

It's an '88 mack TL spare which has and will be there for a while.....next time, stop in and say hello............we may be the dog house but no one bites!!!!

I will stop by.....i work at the bronx zoo so I drive right by the house to get onto the hutch every saturday

Works at the Bronx Zoo but never knocks on our door...I'm sad.

There a very few Mack CF engines left. I know that the salvage / Dewatering unit is built on an old pump chassis but I think that stored over at the rock. Most of the Mack left are towers.

Also too, did they conver a Mack over to a hose wagon for replace the JFK Hose Wagon's Lafrance, I heard that rumor a long time ago or were they goiing to replace it outright?

The only Macks CF's in service right now are the foam units and a couple of spare TL's. The JFK Hosewagon over at 308 has not been replaced as of yet. It's an old ALF Satellite. The Dewatering Unit was an old Mack Satellite with a Com Coach body from an old Salvage unit. That was replaced a few years ago.

The only Macks CF's in service right now are the foam units and a couple of spare TL's. The JFK Hosewagon over at 308 has not been replaced as of yet. It's an old ALF Satellite. The Dewatering Unit was an old Mack Satellite with a Com Coach body from an old Salvage unit. That was replaced a few years ago.

Thanks JBE! biggrin.gif

51 made it up to the last Pelham Manor job in that vacant warehouse before returning since it was in Westchester. Look at the photos from that job, there are a couple of pics of it.

Works at the Bronx Zoo but never knocks on our door...I'm sad.

I would knock on your door but I have no idea where you work and I only work at the zoo on Saturdays....im in school for the rest of the week.

I will if its ok just tell me when and where

Actually, 1129 E 180 Street. In da rear. I heard about that Pelham Manor job, 51 wasn't the only company begging to go. I used to get my hair cut over there, if it's the same building I'm thinking of.

Edited by JBE

Actually, 1129 E 180 Street. In da rear. I heard about that Pelham Manor job, 51 wasn't the only company begging to go. I used to get my hair cut over there, if it's the same building I'm thinking of.

It was the old tennis center, half torn down, but had wooden shelving and cat walk that was burning. Pelham Manor Engine #1, 1976 Mack, still in service.

Another question. Which Engine Companies ran the Mack / Tele's combo when they were in service?

I know for sure in 1970 Engine 71 had one that was a 54' articulating squirt boom than later it was fitted with the 55' telescopic boom and assigned to Engine 70. The other squirt was assigned as a second piece to an unknown company at this time. The unit that was assigned to Engine 70 was later sold and was in service with the Lake Carmel FD I think they got in 1987 ( I may be wrong). The other unit I do know saw service as a foam unit with FDNY starting in 1980.

Sorry that is the best I can do, I will try and find what company had the second squirt. I hope I can find and old timer that remembers but I will work on it for you.

Chris

Edited by CPAGE

I went to visit E73/L42 on Prospect Ave in the Bronx

back in the early 90's.

"La Casa Caca"

At the time E73 was a Mack CF and YELLOW! tongue.gif

werent there only a couple of yellow rigs as an experiment?

If I remember right the Yellow Macks were assigned to the following companies.

Manhattan: E-4 / 10 / 58

Bronx : 41 / 42 / 45 / 46 / 73 / 94

Brooklyn : 277 (Later assigned to E-263 in Queens)

And the only Yellow ALF was a 1980 assigned to E-65

Ok please help if I'm wrong on any of these,

Chris

The Squrt with the telescoping boom went to 70 Engine, then LCFD(17-5-1) in 1987. It was sold to the Wall, PA Fire Department in 1992, and somewhere along the way ended up in Texas.

The lime green experiment was conducted in the early 1980's, the following Engines had those rigs.

Engines 10,41,42,45,46,58,65(ALF),73,85,94,236,277. A few of them were re-painted red/white.

actually, now that i am thinking

from what I understand, FDNY ordered ten (10) yellow macks and one (1) yellow ALF. Above there are 12 companies listed, with E65 being the ALF. Are there more than 10 because a truck was transfered to a different co? I know 263 ran a yellow Mack. Above it says 236 had one too. Is that just a typo or did something else happen.

JBE, I remember in a post early this year, you said that 236 was totaled in an accident, does this affect the numbers in any way?

Thanx for the info!

Edited by gpdexplorer

263 had 85's Mack after 85 was disbanded. 236 was totalled in a wreck on I want to say Liberty Avenue in Queens in the mid 80's. Good catch, 94 was a spare. I screwed up.

No offense, but unless you guys have this stuff written down someswhere I'm a little nervous quite frankly. The details with which you guys recall is frightening.