Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jloftus

The Latest In The Mount Vernon Apparatus Saga

13 posts in this topic

Well last week I appealed to you guys on helping us get our Seagrave rearmount fixed. It seems my post pointed to Excelsior as the problem, only in they cant get that truck in as there as he's loaded with work. We understand that, but this Mack Tower is going on a wing and a prayer. Our other rear mount just came back from Nichlos and as soon as it was set up , Bang hydrolic fluid all over the place, so now we cant use that thing , so the new Tower cant go to sta 1 and give the Mack a rest.

Meanwhile our seagrave is sitting around , rusting away at sta 3, we know the city is the problem but at this point all we care about is getting ladder 2 fixed.

Its not only Mt. Vernon's problem but that Mack is going on MA, to other cities and that should concern others. Might seem like a old song but if you were us you would try anything. Having an I dont care approach is easy, getting things done is not, were tired of being second class as we have some of the best firefighters around ( no offense to others ) and working like this is crazy.

Tell someone who cares.

Happy Holidays

Sorry jloftus, I understand your problem, but can you make a listing of each ladder if its in service or oos, maybe the problem. whatever you can. I'm a little confused with whats wrong with which truck and where it is.

Maybe its time to make this a "public" issue. Get the newspaper and tv news involved as it pertains to "public safety" or lack of it. Her's the headline" Mt Vernon Fire Trucks unsafe" or Fire trucks putting safety at risk? If its one thing that pushes politicians its publicity.

Ladder 1 Seagrave tower 2006 in service

Ladder 2 seagrave 100' rearmount 1998 not in service

Ladder 3 E-one 100 rearmount 1989 not in service

Ladder 4 Mack Tower 1980 listed as 72 my error in service

And yes this is a safety issue and the union stand has been ( none ),

it appears until someone gets hurt then all will have something to say:

Union : We tried to tell them

City : We couldnt afford to fix it

Members: I just do what they tell us

and so forth, thats what will be said.

Ladder 2 lost a turntable seale in Oct. of 2005 at the training center, after fixing the seal a number of other problems were found including the fact it failed the test.

Tip crack about 4 feet down stick

Chassis bolts broken

Hyd line twisted heating system

These are the current issues with Ladder2 waiting to get repaired.

Edited by jloftus

Mt Vernon always had ladder troubles. When they had the tillers, old Ladder 2 had hydrolic problems all the time. You could raise it but had to go under the turntable to let out the pressur to lower it half the time. Old Ladder 3 after the cab was totaled was a hybrid truck and never ran right. The city can't fix a rig but how much was the "circle"? Opps its not a circle Ernie says "ROUNDABOUT"

You know the general public knows nothing about whats going on.

James, call Bob Fredericks at Journal News, 914-694-5039, rfrederi@LoHud.com.

Ken Valenti could do the piece, he wrote the NRFD article on added manpower.

Trying to help....

Henry

Thanks

A union offical should contact the paper,

Edited by jloftus

Thanks

A union offical should contact the paper,

The union should definitely get involved. Go public to the papers and even a mailing to households and business in the city. Safety to the Firefighters and the public is the issue.

Do you have a fire commissioner or Board of commissioners at FDMV?

Before the union goes to the papers, get them involved with the commission(ers) and chiefs prior to going to the papers, out of respect first. Have them get the city government and get the support from the city's corporation council (city lawyer) to make the appropriate contacts first. If that fails the go to the newspapers, if you go to the papers first with out they your looking for trouble,more than what seems to be happening and there will be a lot of "at odds" and mud-slinging going on and you really don't need that. Get the union lawyers involved also before you make any moves and make sure that legal council finds out the problems and they will help you in the long run.

Get as much support from the city government (aka aldermen, selectmen, ect.) and public support as well. This will show were the problem actually is, with the repair facility or the town government. Once that is exposed then your good to go.

Just like all involved that would reqiure talking about this subject and the other issues and not the union or city wish to do that.

If all is silent , all is well,

This is the second such "thread" that I have witnessed regarding this problem. Although I do not doubt that your Department's apparatus may not be ideal, I am having great difficulty in understand your choice of "process" here.

I am not overly familiar with your Department, but I would guess it was run by a Chief/ Commissioner/Director.

Below that individual, there probably are numerous other administration types, who also oversee the daily operations of the Department.

I would also guess that you (as a career member of FDMV) are a member of Local 107 of the IAFF. The same organization that you state is not responding to your apparatus concerns.

However, I cannot fathom why you would choose to find a remedy on a general fire service message board?

A Union or Fire Department is not designed around any ONE person or their issues.

Again, I am not saying that you do not have some merit to your concern. But, I do wonder why both Management and Labor might have a different priority with regard to the apparatus.

It is possible that there are numerous factors beyond what you state or SEE on the surface. To run errantly onto a message board and vent your Department's problems might be construed by some as a bit petulant on your part.

If you want action from your superiors or labor agent, I would speak with them directly (or try outlining your concerns in writing).

All organizations have a chain of command (Labor and Management). Although, I am not an expert on this, but I would venture to guess that there are not too many organizations that have the EMTBravo Message Forums listed within their SOGs or By-Laws.

To do so in any other way, lessens the credibility of your argument and can be very counterproductive to you and your Department.

Wow that was deep

This is one of many positive ways to talk about this problem

Most of these members give MA to Mt. Vernon very often and these issues do effect them.

As to negative effect by going this route, you really need to understand whats going on here. I do.

Thanks for responding and stay safe.

screw all the "proper channels"! drop a dime in the right persons ear(the journal snooze),and come what may,and if if things continue to get worse,im sure you can find enough wrong with the rig to refuse to ride(the whole crew of course)and thats where the union and the lawyers come in.knowing ernie and his love for MV fire it may be the only way to get things done.stay safe