Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is on the back of this rig?

15 posts in this topic

What is on the back of thisr rig?

user posted image

Now thats a really nice rig

It looks like that is a crane on the back of the rig but for what specifically I would have no idea....I can guess cribbing or some kind of lifting

That is what is known as an articulating crane. It is also sometimes referred as a knuckle boom.

There are two sections of the boom which raise and lower and the outer section sometimes extends. The stationary section of the crane should rotate likewise.

Truck hit on what it is.

I have seen these out west and down south on rescue (sqaud) units. I've had a few MVA's where this would have been put to immediate use due to the terrain not being favorable to performing stabilization to the vehicle.

i ve seen a few pix where a crane was mounted above, rather than behind, the body as well - i think there was an albany or colonie truck like that postedin the site not too long ago

i ve seen a few pix where a crane was mounted above, rather than behind, the body as well - i think there was an albany or colonie truck like that postedin the site not too long ago

Yeah there was a rig with the crain on it Latham's Rescue 4 is a large rig that has cribbing on the roof with a crane type system that is used to remove the cribbing from the roof and put it back on the roof....I have scene it in person and it is really sweet

When i got back up to Latham where my friends live I will shoot some photos of it

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=13346&hl=latham

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=10108&hl=latham

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=7498&hl=latham

Cool, Thanks struck me as weird looking.

nice truck..... i know this is off topic but does it look like it has rear steer to anyone else???

It dosen't look like a lift tag axle,It might be a steering assisted rear axle. Due to California weight laws, the unit might have been to heavy for a single axle, but not heavy enough for a twin screw. And in order to cut down the steering radius, they make the non-driving axle a sterring type unit. It dosen't crab or such,just tracks with the front axle in the direction of the turn.

I agree with bvfd it the roll ups stop before the roof may be some extra tools on top that can be loaded and unloaded with the boom. the Santa Ana sign also looks like it may flip down of can be removed...just a guess though

Dunno, could be like the travel bus axles with the rear one being a larger tire than having a dualie. Unsure though.

By the looks of the rear body (as shown in the picture), the upper (or coffin) area may actually be a detachable section that can be lowered using the crane attached at the rear.

I am not familiar with this truck or Department, but it certainly appears that something is unique with the roof construction.

This could be their version of a POD deployment for protracted rescue/USAR operations.

If so, I would say that it is the first time that I have seen this type of deployable rescue-mounted roof-top (getting long) equipment tray.

Unlike some of the "Giambi" style rescues of the East Coast with their super-cranes, this Department may have actually built a truck with a crane that actually has an intended purpose and not just for the "shock and awe" effect at the next State Convention.

I'm thinking that the crane unit extends rearward a bit so there is clearance to rotate. Nice rig. Anyone know the facts on it?

I saw a similar piece at a show a few years ago. The crane was mounted between the cab and the body. It was built on a Peterbuilt chassis, but a really heavy duty one. Looked like the chassis for a large dump truck.

The rig also had a plasma cutter in one of the compartments.....amazing