Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

No More Braun Slopeside?

14 posts in this topic

Apparently, according to Braun Ambulances website, or at least I can't find it on there, they no longer offer the Braun "slopeside" type ambulance.

I was always a fan of these, Greenburgh PD used quite a few. I always thought they were unique and cool looking, and the inside was really laid out well.

Empress EMS also used a commercial, smaller "mini-mod" version of these, that was later replaced by the "Express" line. Maybe x901 could help

Harrison also still has one I think...that's got to be my favorite...I wish my camera could get a shot of it eventually.

So everyone knows what I am talking about, here's Elmsford FD's (now) 58-B-2

[attachmentid=1874]

post-11-1168732450.jpg

Edited by x635

Pleasantville has one. Its a 1994 and still strong.

PEEKSIKILL HAS BRAUN AMBULANCES WE JUST GOT A NEW ONE AND ALL 3 OF THEM ARE NOT SLOPED THEY JUST DON'T MAKE THEM NO MORE THE HAVE BETTER FEATURES LIKE SIDE SLIDE DOOR ON SIDE OF BOX

i've noticed that the boxes have gotten much larger in the past few years. its almost as if your standard bus now would have been a bariatric unit a few years ago. 99.9% of the extreame size is overkill, i wouldn't mind seeing some smaller mods hit the streets!

i've noticed that the boxes have gotten much larger in the past few years. its almost as if your standard bus now would have been a bariatric unit a few years ago. 99.9% of the extreame size is overkill, i wouldn't mind seeing some smaller mods hit the streets!

I couldn't agree more. Everyone complains that they can't find drivers for these monsters, so why not go for something smaller. I don't think anyone prefers the look of type II buses, but they are easier to drive and cheaper. I see these rigs around westchester that have an entire compartment sealed off to maintain a vehicles 800 compliance and another compartment with the portable suction litterally bouncing around. Is that really necessary? Transcare and Empress bother cover pretty heavy work loads in type II's, as does just about every transpot agency around.

I believe Dobbs Ferry VAC has one as well.

I believe Dobbs Ferry VAC has one as well.

Dobbs Ferry's slopeside is a Lifeline, which is a similar design. Not very common too, but they look great, especially Santa Monica FD's.

Here's a Braun "slopeside" (Does anyone remember what the actual model name was??)

This one served Greenburgh Police EMS for many years, and now serves the PD's Sign Division. This photo was taken by me yesterday.

[attachmentid=1879]

post-11-1169074246.jpg

Edited by x635

The Braun 'slope/slant side' model name was 'LFEA'.

I worked out of these for many year up at Eastern Paramedics in Syracuse, NY. BY FAR the best made, best laid out ambulance for city (2 person crew) work. Everything was within hands reach, very stable, low center of gravity. We switched to the cursed Wheeled Coach moduvan in 1994 or so, and they just plain sucked. You can do EMS in anything, but the Braun slope side was the cat's hind end.

My squad in Jersey swears by the Brauns... we are currently waiting for our massive 93' Braun angled box to get back from the place that remounted it. Of the three Brauns we run this one thats coming back soon is by far the largest.... features a CPR chair and you can actually stand in it! A feat that is hard in the smaller two rigs. I am not particularly fond of these rigs but I will say that everything is indeed in reaching distance.

-Mike

Vista FD has two slopesides mounted on Chevrolet cabs one is a 1993 and another is a more recent 200? model, both are very attractive rigs.

Braun also made a longer version called the SLFEA-one BIIIIG sucker. Ossining VAC used to run a couple. And darn it, Braun's website no longer lists slantside buses.

End of an era.