Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY*EMS Haz-Tac Ambulances

26 posts in this topic

Another topic got me thinking.

I read in this month's Fire Apparatus Journal that FDNY is preparing spec's for a bid of Haz-Tac EMS ambulances.

I wonder what is going to be different about these buses? Obviously, there's going to be more room to carry gear, but I wonder if the chasis will be any different.....it can be done on the F-Super Duty, of course- but I wonder if a Freightliner, GMC, or International Medium Duty chasis will be spec'd?

Question, not to hijack your thread, but what exactly do Haz-Tac ambulances do? I can't find much information on it.

Would NYC go with another commercial chasis other then ford

I mean the vast majority of the FDNY EMS fleet is Ford...would they go with another manufacturer

would it be smart from a matienece stand-point to go with something other then Ford

Haztac ambulances: I am trained to Haz Mat tech level 2 in New York City. My main function is pt care in the instance of a nuke or biological attack (the whole big yellow suit deal) the ambulances also carry c.o meters and we are suposed to respond to co calls w/ pts. Haz Tac ambulances carry 2 scott pack respirators, a hydrant wrench, rubber garden hose w/hydrant attachment for decon purposes, fireground radios for comm w/ fire,decon tub, and this is besides the regular assortment of ems equipment I might have neglected some things I'm doin this quickly.

ok now for the other question....I was told that the ambulances bid has been put in but we'll be lucky if we see the rigs halfway through 2008 I was told the differences will be I believe the same chasis and 1 or 2 extra compartments on the out side and the bus and i belive it will be a bit higher

This leaves no room for personal equipment such as the new P.P.E. we are suposed to carry and the normal set of ems equipment such as trauma bags and O2 thats why we wanted bigger buses but seems a bit late huh?

Casson jr Haz Mat 17H3

On some of the ambulances in jacobi and lincoln hospital i see Rescue medics and haz-tac in blue print underneth the FDNY Ambulance logo. Does anyone else have more info on these units?

On some of the ambulances in jacobi and lincoln hospital i see Rescue medics and haz-tac in blue print underneth the FDNY Ambulance logo. Does anyone else have more info on these units?

thats excatly the units I have explained above the units that say "rescue medics" are the Haz Tac paramedics trained in confined space rescue

JUst to clarify, all Rescue ambulances are 'Haz-Tac' (FDNY's way of saying HazMat), but not all Haz-Tac ambulances are Rescue ambulances. Haztac ambulances are more for decon, Rescue ambulances are for USAR type stuff.

I have the new unit list some place..

Each boro now has a Haz-Tac Paramedic unit trained in USAR.

The units were changed from "Z" to "R"

12R

03R

35R

23R?

47R?

I tried getting a photo of the 12R the other day but they were in a bad spot and you couldn't read the lettering.

----------------

As far as a new Spec. Anything is possible. I remember going back sometime there was thought of going to the extended cab like Yonkers ESU. This way they wouldn't have to change the Spec on the Box.

I don't know Yonkers ESU, but the last spec I saw had an extended cab about 16" with compatments for the HazTac PPE and Decon equipment. Now with all the crap the Rescue units carry I have no idea how they fit it all into those boxes. they're tight as it is just as ALS.

Partyrock.. Here is a photo of the Yonkers ESU truck. They were able to make some storage compartments inside the cab behind the seats..

user posted image

Photo by Mike Messar

What additional equipment do the USAR trained units carry?

Jim

JUst to clarify, all Rescue ambulances are 'Haz-Tac' (FDNY's way of saying HazMat), but not all Haz-Tac ambulances are Rescue ambulances. Haztac ambulances are more for decon, Rescue ambulances are for USAR type stuff.

My job is not strictly decon dry.gif My job is PT CARE in areas of Haz Mat, hence E.M.S. HAZ MAT Tech, other wise they would have made a special unit of firefighters for decon, gone are the days of deconing everyone else, the job has changed greatly since homeland security and 9/11 and for the better I might add, EMS is being better utilized, and, as a side note there are 3 types of Haz Tac ambulances 1:Basic Life Support Haz Mat trained E.M.T.S Designated Henry units 2:Paramedic Haz Mat trained Techs Designated Zebra units and 3: Paramedic Haz Mat Techs trained for confined space rescue and rescue opps "Rescue Medics"

Haz Mat Tech Casson Jr 17H3 cool.gif

Haz-tech buses are not Tech 2's only tech 1's.

Haz-tech buses are not Tech 2's only tech 1's.

Thats incorrect because the certificate that the dept gave me says "Hazardous Materials Medical Technician 2 course -80 hours"

If u dissagree take it up w/FDNY cool.gif

Edited by mlfcemt093

roofsopen is correct. None of us in the HazTac ambulances (i'm on 12R) have taken the 'tech 2' class, regardless of what your, and my, certificate says. From EMS only the HazTac lieutenants have attended that class. They guys who were teaching the 'basic' class' went above and beyond what was required (at least when i took it). We pretty much did everything that was required for the tech 2 class minus mitigation, which i believe is an integral part. They made up for it by extra chem and bio (oh! the Krebs' cycle!!) Also, EMS HazTac ambulances are no longer responsible for decon operations. We are responsible for triage and patient care.

X635...word is the HazTac buses we're getting 2 years ago (not a typo rolleyes.gif ) are F-450 and will have an extra compartment about 2 feet wide between the cab and the pt. compartment that will house scot paks and whatever else we can squeeze in there.

Edited by MGMedic

roofsopen is correct. None of us in the HazTac ambulances (i'm on 12R) have taken the 'tech 2' class, regardless of what your, and my, certificate says. From EMS only the HazTac lieutenants have attended that class. They guys who were teaching the 'basic' class' went above and beyond what was required (at least when i took it). We pretty much did everything that was required for the tech 2 class minus mitigation, which i believe is an integral part. They made up for it by extra chem and bio (oh! the Krebs' cycle!!) Also, EMS HazTac ambulances are no longer responsible for decon operations. We are responsible for triage and patient care.

X635...word is the HazTac buses we're getting 2 years ago (not a typo  rolleyes.gif ) are F-450 and will have an extra compartment about 2 feet wide between the cab and the pt. compartment that will house scot paks and whatever else we can squeeze in there.

ok i apologize to roofsopen...i'm not happy when people dumb down our jobs... when it was not so easy to get a spot on a tac truck I earned that. I am sorry

Edited by mlfcemt093

I know that only Squad, Rescue and Haz-mat along with Tech Engines are tech 2's. They do not want other units knowing how to stop and contain a leak. I am in a rescue support company and the Haz-Tac guys were in it with us. Not even officers are tech 2's. I tried to do the Tech 2 class they said no way.

It is unfortunate. However, one guy i did OT with from HM1 put it nicely saying "too bad you guys don't get to be in the class. When i fall face down in the slurry i just mixed up you're the one i want knowing what it's made of, what it's gonna do to me and how to fix that."

It is unfortunate. However, one guy i did OT with from HM1 put it nicely saying "too bad you guys don't get to be in the class. When i fall face down in the slurry i just mixed up you're the one i want knowing what it's made of, what it's gonna do to me and how to fix that."

Thats excatly the reason y I joined the local county HazMat team so I can get the advanced training and have a clue, I don't like to be clueless @ the scene of dangerous assignments I feel it's unsafe, and the local hazmat team will send me to all the cool training that fdny officers do anyway so i'm still one up.

Don't think "clueless" is an acurate description.

Don't think "clueless" is an acurate description.

ok I missed the reference what do u mean?

You wrote that you "don't like to be clueless at the scene of dangerous assignments". I know "clueless" doesn't describes most of my HazTac partners. Just hoping it doesn't describe you either. Don't think we need the extra training from somewhere else in order to not be "clueless".

NBC and GI Joe had it right. Knowledge is king. If you can get more training outside the dept, why not? I certainly take every opportunity afforded to me to try and learn something new, even to go back over the old stuff. Especially when said opportunity is free.

I wouldnt go above what you are taught at work, especially on your job. Your boss' could give a rats behind about you guys. You have no meters and only 2 scba's I would get about as close as a thumbnail to what ever you are responding to.

I'm not advocating operating beyond your job title, I'm saying know as much as you can beyond your job title. When my old partner was going to medic school, I became a vastly better EMT just because he wouldn't shut the hell up and let me sleep. I learned alot just helping him study. I still persue this phillosophy. God help you if you're a professional in a construction trade that I don't know much about or you've come back from some new training I haven't seen. I will be a pain.

Edited by partyrock

I know that only Squad, Rescue and Haz-mat along with Tech Engines are tech 2's. They do not want other units knowing how to stop and contain a leak.

I think they do this so that units at a scene will call the proper units with the proper training and equipment instead of trying to rectify any situation and possibly making it worse before arrival of specially trained companies.