Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aowen

2 Arrested in Boston Ad Campaign Turned Bomb Scare

13 posts in this topic

Any one watch aqua teen hunger force? I can understand the need to be cautious and take any necisarry precautions but this seems a little rediculous and the response seems a little in excess.

From New York Times online, feb, 1 2007

2 Arrested in Boston Ad Campaign Turned Bomb Scare

BOSTON, Feb. 1 — Boston temporarily closed parts of bridges, subway stations, an Interstate highway and even part of the Charles River on Wednesday after the authorities found what the police described as suspicious devices at nine places.

But the devices, which included circuit boards, turned out to be part of a marketing campaign by Turner Broadcasting to advertise a cartoon television show, “Aqua Teen Hunger Force.”

Two men, Peter Berdovsky, 27, of Arlington, and Sean Stevens, 28, of Cambridge, were arrested Wednesday night and charged with placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct. On Mr. Berdovsky’s Web site, photos show people putting the lights on a bridge, a hospital, a bar awning and a clothing store.

The two were scheduled to appear in court this morning for arraignment.

Turner Broadcasting, part of Time Warner, issued a statement saying, “The ‘packages’ in question are magnetic lights that pose no danger.”

The statement said the “outdoor marketing campaign” had “been in place for two to three weeks in Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco and Philadelphia.”

The company said it was informing the local and federal law enforcement authorities here of the sites of its “billboards” and added, “We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger.”

Mayor Thomas M. Menino was in no mood to accept the apology.

“It is outrageous, in a post-9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme,” Mr. Menino said in a statement. “I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today’s incidents.”

The devices are dotted with blue and purple lights and are shaped like “Aqua Teen” characters, mooninites. One character, Err, seems angry, with slanted eyebrows and what appear to be raised middle fingers.

A film based on the cartoon is to be released this year.

Police officials in Atlanta, Chicago and New York said they had not noticed the devices or received complaints about them.

But in Boston, the discovery of the devices unleashed a sense of chaos as law enforcement officials vaulted into their emergency response mode.

From the time that the first device was found around 8 a.m., hanging from a steel beam under Interstate 93 at the Sullivan Square subway station, more reports of sightings kept trickling in. They included on the Longfellow and Boston University Bridges, in a room at the Tufts-New England Medical Center, on an overpass in Somerville and at intersections here and in Cambridge.

Explosives experts removed the device at Sullivan Square. Northbound Route I-93 and Storrow Drive were briefly closed. A Coast Guard cutter blocked off a section of the Charles River for several hours. Officials from the F.B.I. and the Homeland Security Department were called in, as well as bomb squads, and extra police officers were deployed around the city.

“This has created an enormous inconvenience for people in the city,” Police Commissioner Edward Davis said at a news conference about the same time that Turner was acknowledging responsibility.

At the news conference, Mr. Davis, Mr. Menino and Gov. Deval L. Patrick said no explosives had been found and urged calm.

“There is not a reason for anyone to panic,” Mr. Patrick said. “But there are reasons for us to be vigilant.”

He called the objects “hoax devices.”

After the involvement of Turner Broadcasting became known, Mr. Patrick said in a statement: “This stunt has caused considerable disruption and anxiety in our community. I understand that Turner Broadcasting has purported to apologize for this. I intend nonetheless to consult with the attorney general and other advisers about what recourse we may have.”

Brenda Goodman contributed reporting from Atlanta and Libby Sander from Chicago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/us/01cnd...ton.html?ref=us

At risk of starting a firestorm, it seems that some of our homeland security concerns are getting a little rediculous, I understand fully that we do live in a post 9/11 world and we are under a constant state of alert, but come on, this seems pretty rediculous and a little in excess. I do believe, however, that the company in charge of the marketing ploy should have went through the proper channels and notified the proper agencies and what not instead of just throwing up magnetic led signs on random street posts on highways and bridges. It is also interesting to note that they were set up in numerous other cities including New York without complaint or even notice by the authorities.

Edited by aowen

BOSTON - A judge ordered two men held on bond Thursday for allegedly placing electronic advertising devices around the city in a publicity stunt that went awry and stirred fears of terrorism, shutting down parts of Boston.

ADVERTISEMENT

Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28, were held on $2,500 cash bond each after they pleaded not guilty to placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct for a device found Wednesday at a subway station.

Officials found 38 blinking electronic signs promoting the Cartoon Network TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" on bridges and other high-profile spots across the city Wednesday, prompting the closing of a highway and the deployment of bomb squads. The surreal series is about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball. The network is a division of Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc.

"It's clear the intent was to get attention by causing fear and unrest that there was a bomb in that location," Assistant Attorney General John Grossman said at their arraignment.

The 1-foot tall signs, which were lit up at night, resembled a circuit board, with protruding wires and batteries. Most depicted a boxy, cartoon character giving passersby the finger — a more obvious sight when darkness fell.

The men did not speak or enter their own pleas, but they appeared amused and smiled as the prosecutor talked about the device found at Sullivan Station underneath Interstate 93, looking like it had C-4 explosive.

"The appearance of this device and its location are crucial," Grossman said. "This device looks like a bomb."

Some in the gallery snickered.

Outside the courthouse, Michael Rich, a lawyer for both of the men, said the description of a bomb-like device could be used for any electronic device.

"If somebody had left a VCR on the ground it would have been a device with wires, electronic components and a power source," he said.

Boston officials were livid when the devices were discovered.

"It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme," Mayor Thomas Menino said Wednesday. "I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents."

Berdovsky, an artist, told The Boston Globe he was hired by a marketing company and said he was "kind of freaked out" by the furor.

"I find it kind of ridiculous that they're making these statements on TV that we must not be safe from terrorism, because they were up there for three weeks and no one noticed. It's pretty commonsensical to look at them and say this is a piece of art and installation," he said.

Fans of the show mocked authorities for what they called an overreaction.

About a dozen fans gathered outside Charlestown District Court on Thursday morning with signs saying "1-31-07 Never Forget" and "Free Peter."

"We're the laughing stock," said Tracy O'Connor, 34.

"It's almost too easy to be a terrorist these days," said Jennifer Mason, 26. "You stick a box on a corner and you can shut down a city."

Authorities vowed to hold Turner accountable for what Menino said was "corporate greed," that led to at least $750,000 in police costs.

As soon as Turner realized the Boston problem around 5 p.m., it said, law enforcement officials were told of their locations in 10 cities where it said the devices had been placed for two to three weeks: Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Austin, Texas, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," said Phil Kent, chairman of Turner, a division of Time Warner Inc.

Kent said the marketing company that placed the signs, Interference Inc., was ordered to remove them immediately.

Interference had no comment. A woman who answered the phone at the New York-based firm's offices Wednesday afternoon said the firm's CEO was out of town and would not be able to comment until Thursday.

Messages seeking additional comment from the Atlanta-based Cartoon Network were left with several publicists.

Authorities are investigating whether Turner or other companies should be criminally charged, Attorney General Martha Coakley said. "We're not going to let this go without looking at the further roots of how this happened to cause the panic in this city," Coakley said.

In Seattle and several suburbs, the removal of the signs was low-key. "We haven't had any calls to 911 regarding this," Seattle police spokesman Sean Whitcomb said Wednesday.

Police in Philadelphia said they believed their city had 56 devices.

The New York Police Department removed 41 of the devices — 38 in Manhattan and three in Brooklyn, according to spokesman Paul Browne. The NYPD had not received any complaints. But when it became aware of the situation, it contacted Cartoon Network, which provided the locations so the devices could be removed.

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" is a cartoon with a cultish following that airs as part of a block of programs for adults on the Cartoon Network. A feature length film based on the show is slated for release March 23.

Any one watch aqua teen hunger force?  I can understand the need to be cautious and take any necisarry precautions but this seems a little rediculous and the response seems a little in excess. 

At risk of starting a firestorm, it seems that some of our homeland security concerns are getting a little rediculous, I understand fully that we do live in a post 9/11 world and we are under a constant state of alert, but come on, this seems pretty rediculous and a little in excess.  I do believe, however, that the company in charge of the marketing ploy should have went through the proper channels and notified the proper agencies and what not instead of just throwing up magnetic led signs on random street posts on highways and bridges.  It is also interesting to note that they were set up in numerous other cities including New York without complaint or even notice by the authorities.

Amen.

Might not have been the brightest thing to do - not that I'm a prude but don't like the sound of the advert giving people the finger! If the intent is cleary a bill board, not sure how they can be charged with placing a hoax device, but I guess a jury may get to decide one way or the other.

Now, I'd also think that Turner could pony up the cash for the emergency response - write it off as a charitable donation for homeland security training laugh.gif, besides, I'm sure they've got a lot of mileage on the publicity.

Can't mess around with this kind of stuff. What happens when al-qaida sees this and then decides to do something similar to see how PD reacts. Even if the network would have notified the authorities of this, people are still going to see them and (hopefully) call. What happened to "If you see something, say something????"

Can't mess around with this kind of stuff. What happens when al-qaida sees this and then decides to do something similar to see how PD reacts. Even if the network would have notified the authorities of this, people are still going to see them and (hopefully) call. What happened to "If you see something, say something????"

And what sort of stuff specifically, anything involving wires or led lights or advertising, or 80's video game style animation?

Unattended bags have been in the past seen as potential bomb threats and the cavalry has been called in and what not. If someone were to forget their bag in grand central, a concerned citizen told one of the many unarmed national guardsmen wandering around and the bomb squad got called in and they shut down grand central, metro north, and half of the city, would there be a witchhunt for whoever placed this hoax device and then have them arrested and spend a night in jail and face charges for placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct or whatever the city could think up at that given time.

Another thing to add to the rediculousness of this entire incident- from both sides- is the video of the press conference of the two "suspects" where they mock the press, is actually pretty funny.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/msnbc/fv.htm?...bc.msn.com/&fg=

drop those two idiots in Riker's and let's see when they do it again

It was still a bad idea and Ted Turner should have to pay for all costs involved.

This works both ways. Yes they were noticed by the public and emergency services responded.

So it shows the public and the proper agencies are on the look out for something that is askew.

Did Boston over react? Maybe but it shows to those thumb- tacks that trying to gain attention to there cause through the use of fear campaigns, that everyone is watching and we are prepared.

Who really wins. The ad campaign (and the movie), because we are all talking about it. !

Arrow

I was on the fence about this initially but the more I think about it the more I lean toward this - in these times of heightened security (or borderline paranoia, depending on your view) how can you place any kind of device (kids toy, hoax device) in sensitive locations like train stations, highway overpasses, pedestrian walkways and not expect someone to react the way Boston did. This isn't the first time someone has tried to monopolize on press coverage of a stupid stunt.

Did Boston overreact? Really? How do we respond to hold-up alarms at banks or fire alarms at houses? We respond like its a hold-up or a fire, right? So, Boston took the precautions they deemed necessary given the totality of the circumstances. Remember all the white powder calls in 2001/2002 and even today? Did we overreact? Probably but given the circumstances we deemed it appropriate at the time!

Also, how smart would it be for terrorists or other lunatics to disguise a real device as a toy or something else? As was previously posted, cops and members of the military have been killed by explosives that weren't designed to look like explosives. Let's not criticize their skepticism and concern - remember complacency kills!!!

Bottom line - stupid stunt by a pair of morons (talking about their hair during a press conference did not improve their standing) and different responses by different agencies to handle it (apparently Chicago also used their bomb squad to respond at first).

Chris, I do agree with you. Overreact was probably the wrong word to use. I think the entire thing could have been avoided if the advertisers went through the proper channels and diddn't just take it upon themselves to randomly place these devices. I understand what was done was necisarry. I think what I was trying to comment on originally, and what I found so alarming about the entire incident was how scary things have become as a result of global politics and terrorism that it has become

necisarry for a response like that.

I do agree the two guys are seem like complete idiots and their press confrence adds to how bizzare this whole incident is, and I don't think that is going to help their case at all.

And to Khas143, I really don't appreciate the personal attacks and insults. I feel it is wildly innapropriate to use name calling and personal attacks as a form of discussion on this board.

Secondly, I don't think that you really are in any position to comment on my skills or education for that matter. I am involved in training and have been found to be very effective at it.

Chris, I do agree with you.  Overreact was probably the wrong word to use.  I think the entire thing could have been avoided if the advertisers went through the proper channels and diddn't just take it upon themselves to randomly place these devices.  I understand what was done was necisarry.  I think what I was trying to comment on originally, and what I found so alarming about the entire incident was how scary things have become as a result of global politics and terrorism that it has become necisarry for a response like that. 

I do agree the two guys are seem like complete idiots and their press confrence adds to how bizzare this whole incident is, and I don't think that is going to help their case at all. 

aowen, you're not the only one to call this overreaction. Listening to the radio this morning made my blood pressure go up quite a bit. The DJ's were calling the Boston response overreaction and asking how they can respond to something so obviously a prank this way. So obviously a prank? OK, right! Just like asking cops why they didn't just shoot the gun out of somebody's hand. Do these people even live on this planet???? Sheesh!!!

Great points Chris and Aowen.

I personally don't feel it was an overreaction. Not for where these items were placed and you never do know. That is what threat analysis is for and also in todays day and age if something did happen the public would have wanted blood and would be on the opposite side saying they didn't take threat seriously. In any unknown type event I was always taught, think the worse, prepare for the worse and get more information. I think that Boston handled the best for what their policies and procedures were in effect.

Not too long ago there was a billboard with a manakin hanging from it, something to the effect of a divorce, someone called and said a person was hanging from a billboard and a PD/FD response was initiated. Even one of my buddies who was on the first due Rescue said it looked real from a distance. What happens now if someone calls? Do you not respond? Check and advise only?

As far as Bob Marley and his sidekick, make a statement, let them cop a plea, give em' probation and if they live the way a person should it will all go bye bye for them.

these were up in several other cities without the heavy handed response and media outcry. Why such a difference in response? Especially here in NYC where our Police Commishioner loves being on TV almost as much as Menino.

While I don't think that this was all that much of an overreaction, thiink of how any of us would react given a similar situation.

Find one suspicious package, someone responds to check it out, most likely the bomb squad gets called out, hopefully it turns into nothing. Multiply that by the number of similar suspicious packages and what are we all thinking? No I don't think that Boston overreacted in their emergency response.

However, I do think that the post emergency response has been nothing short of overreacting. For the morons to be charged with placing a hoax device, when that was clearly not their intent, is just plain dumb. This was not any sort of fear campaign, this was an attempt at a humor campaign. If we look at a "reasonable person standard" and include all the cities where no one thought these were bombs, we have to agree that they didn't look all that suspicious. I will be the first to say that I don't think there is a look that all bombs have, that's why they work. If they had signs on them that said bomb, we'd probably get them all before they exploded.

This should be treated as nothing more than every other good intent call we go on. The public saw something they thought was a problem, the emergency services responded, and after investigating discovered there was no problem. case closed. I think it is absolutly ill advised to place such ads on overpasses and critical infrastructure buildings like hospitals, but I also agree with the posted who popinted out that we don't prosecute people who leave bags behind in train stations, after we discover them to be not really dangerous.