28 posts in this topic

thats nice

are those mars lights???

are those mars lights???

they look like they are.but i dno

are those mars lights???

Yes they are, the old reliable 888 series, way better than a ROTO-Ray

Yes they are, the old reliable 888 series, way better than a ROTO-Ray

I will give you that....... biggrin.gif i was pleasantly surprised to see those on a Boston rig

Here are the Lighting and Siren Specifications that a Virginia Fire Department has layed out for there New 2007 Seagrave Ladder Truck:

The warning package will include a Powercall Siren, Federal Q2B, Dual Mars 888 Warning Lights and a RotoRay Warning Light System.

Now having both the Mars 888's and the Roto Ray is very impressive.

post-80-1170894583.jpg

What are these Mars lights everyones talking about?

I'm sure it is a well thought out, very useful, fantastic piece of apparatus. That said I think it is far from being a nice looking rig. (in my unprofessional opinion of course)

What are these Mars lights everyones talking about?

On the front sides of Boston's rescue above, see those silver cylinders? Those are the Mars 888 Series warning light. The are a four axis, front forward oscillating waring light that really catches a driver's attention. They area the original style oscillating waring light and later years Federal Signal and Code 3 had similar models, such as those used on some of the old Mack and Seagrave rigs of FDNY in the 70's through the early 90's. Mars 888 are very distinctive and are mostly mounted on the outside corners of the cab or one in the center under the center window post. Before air grills were standards, many 888's were recessed mounted into the cab but due to their length, they can no longer be mounted like this.

Beautiful rig.......and 10 responses about Mars Lights.....

Hey, everyone likes lights, but it starts to over shadow the purpose of the truck. They don't put out any fire, do they? (Before someone else says it, I know that this particular rig can't put out fire) I think it reflects on all of us better if lights are a side note and not the largest topic on the table when commenting on a brand new truck.

How about this:

Is the rig a walk-through or a walk around? What kinda of equiptment will it carry? haz-mat capabilities? What will it respond to? How many will staff it? Is this the only rescue in Boston and when might it go inservice?

Edited by lfdR1

Hey, everyone likes lights, but it starts to over shadow the purpose of the truck.  They don't put out any fire, do they?  (Before someone else says it, I know that this particular rig can't put out fire)  I think it reflects on all of us better if lights are a side note and not the largest topic on the table when commenting on a brand new truck.

How about this:

Is the rig a walk-through or a walk around?  What kinda of equiptment will it carry?  haz-mat capabilities?  What will it respond to?  How many will staff it?  Is this the only rescue in Boston and when might it go inservice?

No it is not the only rescue.

According to some posts from the NewEnglandEMTBravo.com site, Boston's new rescue is a walk in, I don't know if it has walk-trough access from box to cab though. It will replace the current Rescue 1 (the E-One) at Fire Headquarters *125 Purchase Street) along with E-10 and Tower 3 (old designation was Tower Unit). The current Rescue 1 (the E-one rig) will become the spare for the department. Boston runs two heavy rescues. Rescue 2 is at Engine 42 which is at 1870 Columbus Avenue in Roxbury.

It should have all the same rescue equipment as the old truck. As for added equipment, I asked a question and waiting a reply. Boston does have separate rigs for Hazmat and the Dive team as well.

A Rescue company in Boston along with the tower ladder and marine companies run with one officer and four firefighters per shift, never running at minimum. Engines and ladder can run with a minimum staffing of one officer and three firefighters.

Boston FD information:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/

http://www.massmetrofire.org/boston.html (pictures and a copy of their METROFIRE run card)

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/emba/fire.html (private site)

Seems "looking" at it and not knowing much about it they took things into consideration. Like the steps being exposed and not the flip downs on the cab, and the rear Back comp. being roll-up to keep doors out of the way if this in fact happens to be where there tools are.

Anyone know what the White Box top is about? that is different....for a all red Department....

Here are the Lighting and Siren Specifications that a Virginia Fire Department has layed out for there New 2007 Seagrave Ladder Truck:

The warning package will include a Powercall Siren, Federal Q2B, Dual Mars 888 Warning Lights and a RotoRay Warning Light System.

Now having both the Mars 888's and the Roto Ray is very impressive.

That's Gettysburg PA's (not Virginia) new 2007 Seagrave... My old department. I own their old B-Model Mack.

I was looking at a site of bostons rigs and it seemed like there was a lot of older equipment; 93,94,95 E-Ones and such. I would think in a big city like Boston it would have a shorter truck life and therefore newer rigs?

Thanks for the clarification on the mars lights, they look pretty sweet from that video. Gotta get back to the original point of the post....the rig, and quite a beauty at that.

Hey, everyone likes lights, but it starts to over shadow the purpose of the truck.  They don't put out any fire, do they?  (Before someone else says it, I know that this particular rig can't put out fire)  I think it reflects on all of us better if lights are a side note and not the largest topic on the table when commenting on a brand new truck.

How about this:

Is the rig a walk-through or a walk around?  What kinda of equiptment will it carry?  haz-mat capabilities?  What will it respond to?  How many will staff it?  Is this the only rescue in Boston and when might it go inservice?

Hey, Lighten up a bit tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Arrow

I was looking at a site of bostons rigs and it seemed like there was a lot of older equipment; 93,94,95 E-Ones and such. I would think in a big city like Boston it would have a shorter truck life and therefore newer rigs?

Technically it is really not that big of a city, yes it is the largest New England city but far smaller than the metropolitan areas like NYC, Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, Phoenix, LA, San Diego and such. They rotate their apparatus out too to slower companies as well and only make few purchases a year, no massive orders, usually two to five pumpers and two to three ladders a cycle. But they do have a much older fleet with a lot of mid 90's E-Ones in the fleet running first line.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Thanks for the info Izzy

Boston Rescue 1 is a walk in / through to the cab. Firefighters up front, mostly equipment in the rear. Also Boston's rescues all have white roofs, this is the first one to have white top-sides on the box.

This is one of my new favorite rescues! It looks AWESOME!

I hope when I'm feeling better I'll be able to catch some photos of it during my springtime New England photo hunt.

This is one of my new favorite rescues! It looks AWESOME!

I hope when I'm feeling better I'll be able to catch some photos of it during my springtime New England photo hunt.

I'm going up for the B's / NYR game in March so I'll make sure I'll swing by Purchase Street. It really cool that you can see the station for the opposite side of the street without I-93 there anymore! lol

Englewood Cliffs NJs E.C. Truck 1994 Seagrave Appollo Tower Features the flush Mounted Mar's Looks sharp too with custom Pin stripping around it

wow, that is a nice rig. it is rather unique to see a Quantum with fixed steps rather than the Quantum's well-known air-actuated steps. does anybody have more pics of this rig??