Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What Do You Think About A Mac?

15 posts in this topic

Although I currently own a Dell XPS Desktop and Dell Inspiron Laptop, with Windows XP, and love them, I recently got a credit that I can use towards a variety of electronics.

I have heard rave reviews of the Mac. Now, I'm not switching my operations to a Mac, but thought if the price was right, I might try to add a MacBook laptop with Intel chip to my Arsenal, espeically since I'm spending a lot of time on a laptop. If I don't like it, I'll sell it on eBay. I just want to try the Mac and their OS X Tiger system.

I used Macs exlusively up to age 14, but then made the PC swiitch.

I'm considering ordering from MacMall.com

Anyone have any advice or experience with Macs?

Obviously, its all personal preference. My brother has a mac and he likes it. I on the other hand hate macs and just bought a new inspiron from dell. Whichever one you go with I am sure you will be happy.

I have both a mac and a pc I like the mac better I think the os is more stable then windows

Edited by millwood127

I was never a big fan of Mac's until they began using the Intel chips, now there is no reason not to buy a mac, you can run both OS X and Windows on it, they are much more stable, and anyone that has used the new Windows Vista knows that it seems like you're using Mac OS X. If you don't like OS X, then you can still use Windows on your Mac. You can't lose.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

IMHO... a Mac is a great tool for anything graphics related. Since you're a shutterbug, you would do well with the Mac IF you planned on retouching/editing photos and/or creating 'presentations'.

The Mac is also a good tool for creating mega-websites. Mega being a site with lots of flash, etc...

I am a PC person. I prefer PCs, I know PCs, PCs are my job (you've seen my work @ HFD).

If you want a computer to do a little bit of everything, the PC is the way to go. If you are looking for something to do lots of graphic/photo stuff, the Mac is the way to go.

Of course you could get the Mac and install both OS-X and WindowsXP on it. It will definately work.

One downside to the Mac - you will need to buy all new software just for the Mac (if you use OS-X).

If you need anything PC, let me know...

Macs are immune to most (if not all) viruses and spyware, too. That alone is a big plus.

Seth,

I have both a Mac and a pc, and personally i cannot say that i like one better than the other one. Mac's are better for some tasks and pc's are better for other tasks.

Personally i find Mac's much easier to operate than pc's. I also find their multimedia programs to be much better than those of the pc. By multimedia, i mean photo and video editing and creating software. For a person like you who is constantly working with photos and videos, i would recommend a Mac.

Hope this helps

Oh, and like andy said, in the 3 years that i've had my mac, No Viruses!!!

Thanks guys.

I currently use a Dell Inspiron 4150 Laptop and a Dell XPS, both run Windows XP. I love them and I need a PC for what I do.

I'm considering the Macbook just for fun, to try a new computer and OS, and take advantage of some of the software Apple has to offer. If I don't like it, I''ll switch back. I can't spend much time on the computer lately, but I figured since I have a credit, I could use it to experiment with a new computer.

Has anybody bought from MacMall.com?

Thanks guys.

I currently use a Dell Inspiron 4150 Laptop and a Dell XPS, both run Windows XP. I love them and I need a PC for what I do.

I'm considering the Macbook just for fun, to try a new computer and OS, and take advantage of some of the software Apple has to offer. If I don't like it, I''ll switch back.  I can't spend much time on the computer lately, but I figured since I have a credit, I could use it to experiment with a new computer.

Yeah Seth we've used MacMall before. No problems to report. It would be good to shop around but it seems that Macs are pretty much the same price wherever you shop. Check out B&H photo in Manhattan too. They carry most Mac products and their service is outstanding! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Get well soon!1

Take a look at Smalldog they sell Apple refurbished you can save some $$

Thanks guys.

I'm considering the Macbook just for fun, to try a new computer and OS, and take advantage of some of the software Apple has to offer. If I don't like it, I''ll switch back.  I can't spend much time on the computer lately, but I figured since I have a credit, I could use it to experiment with a new computer.

I have used PCMall (Same company). I bought my Laptop through them and got an excellent deal, with the rebates and I got a free iPod. BUT it took them 14 months to send me my rebate check. I sent it registered and all. So beware if you plan on a deal with rebates you may be waiting a while through MacMall.

Usually, im pretty critical of Apple products...never really liked them. But as of late, im leaning towards getting one. I'm so tired of having to run virus scans, ad aware scans and all that other crap almost daily!! None the less, they are far sleeker and sexier!

Macs are immune to most (if not all) viruses and spyware, too. That alone is a big plus.

Actually, thats not entirely accurate. They're not immune per se. It's just that nobody has made many viruses for the Mac, but they DO exist. (http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/g/macvirus.htm). And an Intel Mac running Windows is just as susceptible to virii as a PC. As for spyware, it's just easier for the spammers and whatnot to punch holes in Windows since it's used by 90%+ of PC users (and makes them more money than the Mac populace could).

Edited by WAS967

I have 2 notebooks a 17" Macbook Pro and a HP DV9000 both are almost identical as far as specs go... Both Core 2 Duo, 17" glossy displays 2gig of ram etc.

I am running vista on the HP and OSX Tiger and Ubuntu (linux flavor) on the Mac. This is my first Apple ever and it kicks the living poop out of the PC. The Mac outperforms the PC in every way I can think of mostly because the mac OS is just a user friendly graphical user interface written on top of linux that does not have millions of lines of crappy proprietary code that bog down windows based PC's.

That said the Mac was twice the $ so if work didn't buy the Mac the PC would do me just fine.