Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Helmet Rubber Bands

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where I could aqquire the rubbber helmet bands used on firefighter helmets. I know a lot of people use bicycle inner tubes, but is there another option?

I'm looking for quite a few of them, and wondering if they were commercially available in bulk somewhere other then thefirestore.com .

Also, is there a way to make them in bulk?

Ya got me on that one...I was gonna say Thefirestore.com, Sorry. I get them from my job old tires and tubes are all over the place.

truck tire innertubes work even better. Just find a truck tire repair shop and ask for a damaged one. It'll get you plenty of them.

"Wack-Pack", eh? I'm not so sure I want Beetlejuice and Daniel Carver strapped to my helmet...

(Couldn't resist that one... But the Fire-related "Wack-Pack" looks like a good deal...)

i got mine off ebay, less than $5.

i'm sure i got wripped off on shipping though

Definately go with the truck inner tube. It's thicker than a bicycle inner tube and you can cut them as wide as you want. The one from the fire store is pretty thin (width wise). Also, with the money you'll spend for the plastic chocks and the light (that you can get for 2 bucks at walmart), you can get the used inner tube and have many more straps.

just like partyrock said.....find a truck tire repair facility and ask for a damaged one

Edited by goon16

Stop by you local DPW garage...Talk to the mechanics....Trade them some donuts for an inner tube...works all the time! One tube makes a lot of bands.

Edited by FFD55

I gotta go with the majority, get a truck tire tube. We have about 6 of them at our firehouse and cut them up for helmet bands all the time.

And after you cut them (car/truck/bike tube), do you tie it in a knot to keep it around the helmet or is there a different way to attacht/connect together it?

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

I got mine from Galls, and if i remember correctly, they have them in bulk. www.galls.com

And after you cut them (car/truck,bilke tool), do you tie it in a knot to keep it around the helmet or is there a different way to attacht/connect together it?

This is why I like the truck tube. It wraps snuggly around the helmet and stays in place when placed under the helmet front.

And after you cut them (car/truck,bilke tool), do you tie it in a knot to keep it around the helmet or is there a different way to attacht/connect together it?

You don't cut it the long way you cut it in strips and they come out in circles that fit nice around the helmet.

Go to the Greenburgh DPW garage by the sprain, they have truck tire tubes there. Ask for one that is no good.

Edited by Sovereign1

You can certainly use the inner tube band but streamlight sells a rubber band that also fits some of their flashlights really nicely on it....that way you dont need to use a garrety light or drill holes in your helmet its like 3 bucks and I have one with a 7 LED flashlight on it and i could not be happier

You can certainly use the inner tube band but streamlight sells a rubber band that also fits some of their flashlights really nicely on it....that way you dont need to use a garrety light or drill holes in your helmet  its like 3 bucks and I have one with a 7 LED flashlight on it and i could not be happier

I have the same one came with the light.. its very wide too, works great