Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Millwood FD Ladder

24 posts in this topic

From The Journal News Legal Section, April 5, 2007: "...sealed bids will be received by...the Millwood Fire District at 8:30PM on April 25, 2007...for the purchase of a Ladder Firetruck".

From The Journal News Legal Section, April 5, 2007: "...sealed bids will be received by...the Millwood Fire District at 8:30PM on April 25, 2007...for the purchase of a Ladder Firetruck".

What are the specs????

That's all the Legal Section stated.

all i know is it will be a sutphen 75 foot mid mount quint with a 400 gallon tank. equipped with A and B foam. 6 man cab - 1500 GPM pump -- and will be "Ladder 52" (Millwood's reserved ladder number)

If it is a Sutphen by spec why put it out for others to bid on. It sounds like there mind is already made up.

Other manufacturers don't have to bid unless they want to.

Edited by Reliance

If it is a Sutphen by spec why put it out for others to bid on.  It sounds like there mind is already made up.

Other manufacturers don't have to bid unless they want to.

Legally, a government body (fire district) can't make a purchase with out a bidding process. Furthermore, a specific manufacturer can't be named in the spec's to keep it competitive.

The only way around the legalities is to work with Sutphen in writing the specs so they will be written specific to Sutphen. This way other manufacturers will have to take exceptions to the Sutphen specific items.

Edited by DOC22

Theres got to be somthing better than Sutphen?!

SEAGRAVE

aerialscope

Anything on their new firehouse?

What they (like almost every FD I know) will do, is spec out in the bid what brand, model, etc. apparatus they want. This bid package apparently is what they feel will best suit their needs. Whether the bid is put together by the District or the Fire Company will also reflect on what is in the bid package. Normally the District is more concerned about the financial side(less bells and whistles), while the Fire Company(Department) leans toward enhanceing the firematic side of the purchase.

What prompted Millwood to get a truck after all these years? Will it be "replacing" an engine?

What prompted Millwood to get a truck after all these years?  Will it be "replacing" an engine?

Millwood is replacing this truck with a 1982 E-ONE, Kenworth (Engine 245) 50' ladder 1500GPM pump/500 Gal. booster tank. This new truck will be great for maneuvering into the small driveways and tight roads that are in the Millwood fire district. It's time to start thinking about the future needs of the department (over the next 20 years or so).

Edited by MRK303

Millwood is replacing this truck with a 1982 E-ONE, Kenworth (Engine 245) 50' ladder 1500GPM pump/500 Gal. booster tank.  This new truck will be great for maneuvering into the small driveways and tight roads that are in the Millwood fire district.  It's time to start thinking about the future needs of the department (over the next 20 years or so).

ENGINE 245 WAS ALSO KNOWN AS TS-2

ENGINE 245 WAS ALSO KNOWN AS TS-2

ALSO ENGINE 245 IS A TELESQUIRT

Edited by millwood127

Cool.

Doesn't Millwood have a unique Engine. A Sutphen Body on a Spartan chasis?

Anyways, will Millwood be training on Truck Company Ops and changing their SOP?

I guess my question about where the apparatus will fit is null, since they're going to be building a new firehouse (soon?)

Wish them best of luck with whatever they get.

I prefer E-One.

I hope for one thing they definately looked ahead and at the whole district. I know with many of the houses that are being built and around me, I've seen and have experience first hand what having a 75' vs. 100' aerial can mean. Farther set backs, longer driveway's, etc. Also...1500 gpm pump is cool, but give me 2000 baby! lol.

Cool.

Doesn't Millwood have a unique Engine. A Sutphen Body on a Spartan chasis?

Anyways, will Millwood be training on Truck Company Ops and changing their SOP?

I guess my question about where the apparatus will fit is *, since they're going to be building a new firehouse (soon?)

Yes, That would be Engine 248. Also their will be training on truck company ops as well, hopefully with neighboring departments who have strong truck companies. As far as SOP's Ladder 52 will be the first due apparatus out of station 1 for anything structural. It will take on truck company operations but also has engine capabilities if needed. For example it is first due for a structure fire on the east side of town and the next due E248, E247 is a couple of minutes behind. The ladders crew can act as the engine company and the 2nd due can take up the special services on arrival.

I know the boys in "The wood" have been working on this for quite some time, last I heard I was under the impression it was going to be more along the lines of a rear-mount stick - any reason it switched to a tower? All the best to Millwood with the new Truck, whatever it may be. I'll miss the Squirt myself, I've always been impressed with the capabilities it had. It should be a pretty powerful 1-2 punch if L52 (or TL52) and T15 pull up 1st on a west side structure fire. I can't wait to see that....

Thanks for answering my question.....and I have another one. Both Scarsdale and Chappaqua have a similar truck (except Scarsdale no pump). Has anyone talked to them? I know some members of those departments may have some feedback.

Chappaqua had a 106' Hahn straight stick prior to the 70' Sutphen. The Hahn was not only a POS, but was too big to fit in most residential driveways and cul de sacs. So we ent with the smaller apparatus where we gave up considerable ladder reach for a pump and manuvrability. The Sutphen is a much better fit for our district and in the instances where we know reach is an issue, we have added larger ladders to our 10-75 plan. We have a few pieces of apparatus from Pierce within the department and the only draw back with the Sutphen is that the quaility is not even close to that of Pierce, however it does not cost as much either. All in all it has worked for us very well.

I know the boys in "The wood" have been working on this for quite some time, last I heard I was under the impression it was going to be more along the lines of a rear-mount stick - any reason it switched to a tower? All the best to Millwood with the new Truck, whatever it may be.  I'll miss the Squirt myself, I've always been impressed with the capabilities it had.  It should be a pretty powerful 1-2 punch if L52 (or TL52) and T15 pull up 1st on a west side structure fire.  I can't wait to see that....

It will still be a stick -- no bucket --

Theres got to be somthing better than Sutphen?!

Yes there is apparatus out there that are better than Sutphen. BUT given the fact that the Commissioners haven't found a solution for a new fire house, the rig will need to fit in the lower bay at Headquarters. Height restrictions limit the type of aerial devices to mid mounts. In a perfect world a rig like L-10 or L-47 would be a prime choice. The world isn't perfect and that leaves the options for 75ft, single axle, mid mount quints at one manufacturer.... Sutphen.

There are a lot of Sutphen haters out there but most of the problems that you hear about are bugs that get worked out in the first year or so. When we took delivery of E248, the Sparten/Sutphen mentioned before, we had some compartment fit issues (Sutphen's fault), AMP's generator issues (AMP's fault), and well Sutphen completely ignored the specs that I wrote for the emergency lighting system (Sutphen's fault). Otherwise no major issues that I can remember.

Lets face it, most fire trucks are nothing like the one that rolled off the line before or after it. They all have some problems when they are new given the custom nature. Everyone hated the twin E-One Kenworths in Millwood, yet one lasted 22 years and the other is still getting the job done. People have complained about Seagrave quality for 5 years but they're still rolling of the line with as much loyalty as ever. The Sutphen will do fine.

What is most important about all of this, is that the FF's in Millwood are going to get a safe, modern, and ultimately reliable piece of apparatus that will allow them to continue to protect the tax payers of the district. It's time to move the boys off of an open jump seat into an enclosed cab to keep them safe, and it's time to start planning for the next 20 years. The Sutphen, in the absence of a new fire station to put a rear-mount in, will give the FF's the tool they need to get the job done. When more help is needed the great companies who staff TL-14, L-51, TL-40, L-41/42, TL-27, TL-44, TL-1, TL-5, TL-12, and TL-57 are all 10 minutes or less away to assist.

I'm jealous that I didn't get to participate in the design process and that I won't have an opportunity to ride/drive the new rig. Hopefully I'll move back some day and become active at MFC again.

Edited by mfc2257