Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ex-2114

What bad could happen in these pictures

13 posts in this topic

I took a drive around town late this afternoon (after the monsoon stopped) and snapped some pictures of two extremely swollen creeks - actually they're the same creek but in different locations

Anyway... by looking at the pictures, what bad things do you think could happen and what 'planning' would you do??

Bear in mind that the big red pipe is a massive sewage pipe (if my source is correct that is) and both brown-water-rapids flow under roadways.

I am not critiquing any department, person, whatever. I thought I would post the images for their content alone - to my knowledge, nobody has done anything wrong, right, or left.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Wet Vac can handle that... No problem! biggrin.gif lol

WOW... That is crazy!

VERY DANGEROUS!

If those are two dams being overtopped in the picture, my colleagues in the DEP tell me that is a major hazard. Overtopping can undermine the integrity of the dam and cause it to fail. Obviously a bad thing!

Is that really a sewage pipe? Where's it coming out of, Washington DC? It's HUGE!

Is that the same "creek" that a woman fell into from a porch last month?

Edited by Chris192

That is the same creek. Looking from the photos, the first group is in the area where the woman fell in (Wappingers Creek in there area of Main Street, Wappingers Falls).

The second group of pictures is also Wappingers Creek, upstream at Route 376 and Red Oaks Mill Road, Poughkeepsie/Lagrange border.

If those are two dams being overtopped in the picture, my colleagues in the DEP tell me that is a major hazard.  Overtopping can undermine the integrity of the dam and cause it to fail.  Obviously a bad thing!

Is that really a sewage pipe?  Where's it coming out of, Washington DC?  It's HUGE!

Both areas are considered water falls though much calmer under normal circumstances...

Yes, it's sewage, but I honestly have no clue where it stops - not sure I want to know either...

And yes, it's the same creek as last month - good thing the water wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

Take a closer look at pictures 1 and 4 (first post).... Notice the small building that is completely submerged and the building that is being POUNDED by the tide (when I drove past the buildings, they were still occupied).

Take a closer look at pictures 1 and 4 (first post).... Notice the small building that is completely submerged and the building that is being POUNDED by the tide (when I drove past the buildings, they were still occupied).

Why is that wood chipper on it's side close to the edge in #1?

Why is that wood chipper on it's side close to the edge in #1?

I tend to assume (dangerous word here) that it was initially upright but rolled due to unstable ground post-washout.

user posted image

From what I understand, the big red pipe is NOT a sewer pipe, it is a pipe that feeds a hydro-electric plant at the industrial park.

Maybe some of our Wappingers friends can add more.

Okay, so heres the deal with these pics. The picture with the water falls by inn at the falls is not an actual dam. This is in Red Oaks Mill (town of poughkeepsie), and gets overrun everytime it rains. I am not sure what the actual purpose of this ledge is but it has been there for as long as I have been alive and I have seen this thing flow like a monster numerous times. As for the pipe, it is not a sewage pipe as was previously stated. It is in fact a pipe that supplies a small hydro electric plant down in the wappingers industrila park. As of 10:30 last night that pipe was getting slammed with water but was holding on real strong. When I drove by this morning the water had definitly gone down and was not attacking the pipe like the night before. As for the house getting drilled by the water, I am not sure what steps re being taken for the residents but it definitly looked in serious danger last night. But as of this morning the water had gone down some there too.

From what I understand, the big red pipe is NOT a sewer pipe, it is a pipe that feeds a hydro-electric plant at the industrial park.

I guess my 'source' was wrong then. Never trust a cop I guess.... blink.gif

"The picture with the water falls by inn at the falls is not an actual dam."

Just as a matter of interest and safety (boaters, fishermen AND responders), this structure is, in fact, something called a "low head dam." They can be deadly - not just to unwary civilians inadvertently swept over them but to rescuers as well.

A Google search including the words "low head dam" and "rescuer death" or "danger" can offer some intense and educational reading, along with video and pictures.

PC414

EDITED TO ADD URL:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_saf...ningmachine.pdf

Edited by PC414