Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYPD ESU Truck & Equipment

13 posts in this topic

I found this photo on a CD while doing some spring cleaning. Unknown photographer or date, but it's an awesome photo that I figured I would share with all of you.

[attachmentid=2490]

post-11-1176920807.jpg

Quick ? kind of on subject. I have seen pictures of NYPD rigs and some say ESU some say ESS and some say MALT, is there a difference between what they do? Or did they switch names and havent phased out the rigs with the other markings?

ESS is Emergency Service Squad

MALT is a Mobile Auxiliary Light Truck

I found this photo on a CD while doing some spring cleaning. Unknown photographer or date, but it's an awesome photo that I figured I would share with all of you.

[attachmentid=2490]

Not to stir the pot, I am having trouble understanding why The PD has a lot of the equipment that a FD Rescue company has as well. Is it kind of a back up to the Fire Dept. or just who ever gets there first. If someone knows more about this stuff, fill me in.

NYPD ESU was providing rescue services a long time before FDNY. In a city as big as NY, a duplication of services is not such a bad idea. Historically there has always been a lot of "tension" between the FD and PD when it comes to rescue work... generally speaking though, whoever gets there first, conducts the rescue.

That photo is from NYPD's Official site. Quite a few Dept's in the North East provide for Tactical/Rescue Services. In 2006 we had our 75th Anniversary. We have received six new trucks since Mike Martinelli took these pictures but I am sure you get the idea.

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/other...0City%20ESU.htm

Our system is set up much like New York. In that unless its criminal in nature to begin with-it falls on whatever agency is on scene first. We do have an advantage because we have trucks on patrol 24/7 but sometimes it comes down to who dispatches first. And there is some tension at most scene's when both agencies show up, but, you can't allow yourself to get sucked into the romper room bickering. Its pretty interesting that I have been in E.S.U. long enough to know if I go off on a job and a certain engine,truck or rescue is on scene whether its going to be smooth or aggravation. And I am sure the FD can say the same about some of my guys. But IMHO in this day and age you cannot have enough people crosstrained in rescue work so long as they are competent and professional. The bottom line is the people that need your help.

Rick

Nicely said.

Nice to finally see those pictures up on the web.

trucks look good, but dirty, LOL

I dont know much about the nypd esu only what i have read in books and by talking to a few esu guys i did read back in the 60's 70's and early 80's the nypd esu took all mva's with entrapment cuase the fire dept was too busy fighting fires and i can see that but in todays day and age eus dose every thing high angle rescue,haz-mat,water and scuba rescue and swat call. as far as equipment goes they have a ton of toys to play with heave rescue trucks small rescue trucks lights trucks jet ski's and more and thats just vehicles as for tool and fire arms look out for you guys that are gun guys thay have fully automatic shoulder wepons like the H&k mp-5 the colt m-4 and a whole lot of other stuff

Nicely said.

Nice to finally see those pictures up on the web.

trucks look good, but dirty, LOL

Time for us to get a Rescue type rig...no Streets?

And maybe a newer peace keeper or something?

this might be a little off topic, but it does have to do with ESU. i was just curious, does anyone know how one gets to ESU? is a promotional thing, or based on merit, or one of those things where you need to know someone to bring your name in??? what are the requirements?

also, are these requirements usually specific to one dept. or genernal with most ESU's around like in Yonkers, or Jersey...

Thanks alot

this might be a little off topic, but it does have to do with ESU. i was just curious, does anyone know how one gets to ESU? is a promotional thing, or based on merit, or one of those things where you need to know someone to bring your name in??? what are the requirements?

also, are these requirements usually specific to one dept. or genernal with most ESU's around like in Yonkers, or Jersey...

Thanks alot

ESU is not a promotional or meirt thing per-se. From what I know, it is an application process. You have to be on the force for I believe 5 years, have a record free of CD's etc, score well at the range, shoot house etc...If you have extra training (since all ESU are EMT's) that would help your app. I'm sure there is more, but as I'm not a cop...someone can fill in the rest. When housing got folded into NYPD, their ESU guys got offered a chance to go in w/o many barriers.

Can you imagine how much their equipment has been updated since this photo was taken. it appears to be in the early 90's. I doubt now we will ever see a pic like that of new equipment post 9-11.