Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10-Buff-4

Brush Rigs, Forestry Trucks, and Mini-Pumpers!

20 posts in this topic

Please know that all these photos are from firenews.org and are NOT my photos.

Mike

These are my favorites

Worcester, MA I always liked the 80's Chevy pickups.

[attachmentid=2530]

Old Orchard Beach, Maine: a nice place that if I can find the financial resources, use as a relaxation vacation! Their rig is pretty nice looking.

[attachmentid=2529]

I like the Boston one because not only can you use it for brush, but it also has CAFS!

[attachmentid=2528]

Got to give credit to the home town rig... This truck isn't a true woods truck but it's an off road work horse when you're trying to move lots of water to a remote fire.....

Millwood MA-10.... 750gpm single stage Hale. Full complement of forestry hose, pre piped class B foam eductor, 1000ft of 4inch supply line, Ramsey front winch, and the Zodiac when requested.

If you are looking to establish an off road supply for a major fire, this is the rig to do it. Put it in 4Wheel Low and get as far into the bush as you can with the 4inch. Then run the 2.5in to gated wyes and multiple forestry lines from there.

Or at a structure fire in a gated driveway or other challenging area it's got enough discharges to push well over 1000gpm with a good hydrent or engine pushing to it. At the Kings College fire Ex-Chief Santone stuffed it in the woods and the boys from E146 helped to drag several hundred feet of 4inch up the hill. It pumped all day from the lake at the bottom of the hill to supply the operations on the back side of the building because the Tower Ladders out front had tapped the hydrant capacity from the front.

post-163-1177777264.jpg

Edited by mfc2257

This is CFFD's MA-17. It's a 1987 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with a John Bean High Pressure, yes, High Pressure (1000psi) Pump at 90 GPM, with a 210 gallon tank.

post-584-1177950951.jpg

Bethel Fire has a 1966 army jeep that we just got done repowering with a cummings diesel

[attachmentid=2605]

We also have a Army Deuce and 1/2 just got not in service yet. and a 2000 Ford F350 with skid pump and tank

[attachmentid=2606]

post-860-1178130726.jpg

post-860-1178130956.jpg

Thanks for all the other rigs! The album has been updated! Let me know your thoughts!

-Joe DA BUFF

Got to give credit to the home town rig... This truck isn't a true woods truck but it's an off road work horse when you're trying to move lots of water to a remote fire.....

Millwood MA-10.... 750gpm single stage Hale.  Full complement of forestry hose, pre piped class B foam eductor, 1000ft of 4inch supply line, Ramsey front winch, and the Zodiac when requested.

If you are looking to establish an off road supply for a major fire, this is the rig to do it.  Put it in 4Wheel Low and get as far into the bush as you can with the 4inch.  Then run the 2.5in to gated wyes and multiple forestry lines from there.

Or at a structure fire in a gated driveway or other challenging area it's got enough discharges to push well over 1000gpm with a good hydrent or engine pushing to it.  At the Kings College fire Ex-Chief Santone stuffed it in the woods and the boys from E146 helped to drag several  hundred feet of 4inch up the hill.  It pumped all day from the lake at the bottom of the hill to supply the operations on the back side of the building because the Tower Ladders out front had tapped the hydrant capacity from the front.

Seems like a really capable rig for it's size. I'd love to see a pic of the 4 inch pack. I'm impressed.

This is CFFD's MA-16, kept at Station 2. It's a 1993 International 4x4 with a Gowans Knight body. It has a 350 gallon tank with a 90 GPM Pump It also carries jaws and EMS equipment and Supplies.

post-584-1178676924.jpg

Seems like a really capable rig for it's size. I'd love to see a pic of the 4 inch pack. I'm impressed.

Grumpy.... As usual here comes a really long, but hopefully helpful answer...

The hose pack for MA-10 (and subsequently all Millwood rigs) is accomplished using a little trick I learned while at college in Gettysburg, PA.... (I give credit to them a lot because in the 4 years that I was there I learned an invaluable amount of fire/rescue knowledge).... To my knowledge, Millwood hasn't changed this method since moved to Florida.

Instead of packing the couplings for the LDH by keeping them in the bed with the hose and using dutchmen folds or other methods of keeping them in line with the hose, what we started doing was to leave 1.5 feet in front of the hose bed empty and each time you had a new coupling you would bring it forward and lay all of them together in the void at the front of the hose bed and then short your next length without the coupling so that you get a perfect fold at the end of the hosebed that faces the back bumper.

The end result is being able to fit a significant amount of additional hose in the bed because there is no inefficient folding with the couplings taking up odd space in the bed.

The hose bed is literally flat.

The only caution is that at the front of the bed where the other lengths fold up against the 1.5ft space that is reserved for the couplings, at times the wind can get ahold of the folds and peel them back resulting in an accidential 55mph hose lay on Route 100 or the TSP. The way to avoid this is to place an bungee across the front of the hose bed aprox. 2ft behind the front folds. When the occasional wind gust peels one up the bungee will hold it until the buffeting stops, but when you're laying in, there is enough elasticity to allow the coupling to be pulled under.

If this method is used properly (meaning you don't half asss the packing) you can fit about 35-40% more hose on your rig. It also works well for quints with hose shutes because the coupling has time to line up with the shute before it enters it. in a traditional pack with a dutchmen close to the shute, the coupling may be unfolding from the side as it enters the shute and can get caught on it or bounce into the turntable and get caught if it is exposed from above.

Edited by mfc2257

Union Fire Company No. 1 of Carlisle, PA operates a 1996 4X4 Dodge brush truck with 250 gallons of water, 10 gallons of class a foam, a 200' booster reel and 1,000' of forestry line. It also has a 12,000 lb. winch and all of the various tools found on a brush truck.

post-4969-1178679644.jpg

Union Fire Company No. 1 of Carlisle, PA operates a 1996 4X4 Dodge brush truck with 250 gallons of water, 10 gallons of class a foam, a 200' booster reel and 1,000' of forestry line. It also has a 12,000 lb. winch and all of the various tools found on a brush truck.

I've run with Carlisle a time or two... If I recall, Union Fire Company is Station 41 with the Engine, Tanker, Quint, & Brush... A buddy of mine was on the job at Station 40 and I was supposed to drive the Heavy Rescue one night when the Volunteers were having their banquet as the standby coverage but Gettysburg had a big job and at the last minute another company covered for us as the standby crew.

I miss my days in PA.... We ran the Truck and Hose Wagon 35 miles to Carlisle or Chambersburg massive jobs a time or two.

Were you guys at the big job in Aspers over the winter with 41's tanker?

Edited by mfc2257

mfc, this pack you picked up sounds pretty good. I'm suprised this is the first time I've heard about it, especially with some of the monster lays I've heard about depts here operating. Does anyone else use a similar packing method?

We did with the Mack when fitting the LDH was tough. With the new Seagrave we have it laid like normal to fit the 1350' we carry.

Here's one of Florida Division Of Forestry's Brush Engines, I believe it's 500/500/25 A foam , custom built by Division shops, they also have smaller Type 6 engines (I dont have a pic as of yet) as well as transports with dozers and line plows (pics coming soon)

post-6749-1178834899.jpg

here's a few more i took, hopefully i'll have some more pics of all different brush/forestry trucks as well as other departments, soon as i start on friday

post-6749-1180295528.jpg

post-6749-1180295565.jpg

From the Left Coast, where Wildland (Brush) Season has become a 365 day/year operation....

Older apparatus

Escondido Fire Department Reserve Brush Rig September 1992

user posted image

Escondido Fire Department Brush 1362-July 1991

user posted image

San Diego Fire Department Brush 10-December 1991

user posted image

San Diego Fire Department Brush 41-December 1991

user posted image

My Personal Favorite:

Rocky Point 5A7-6

The Killer Bee!

Back when my grandparents lived out on L.I. I used to ride with these guys for a few weeks a year. I spent some quality time getting tossed around in the back of this thing out in the state pine forest. This was taken, maybe in 1993... back when it only had 6 tires and the classy war paint. Now it looks a little more respectable. Company 1 had a M35 also (5A7-9, I think), though it wasn't nearly as fun as this one.

user posted image

East Fishkill just got 2 brand new "Utilities" to replace 39-62 and 39-64. They were purchased from Unruh fire in Indiana I think. They are 2008 Ford F550 XLT quad cabs. almost as tall and long as an engine. I will try to get to the firehouse tonight to get a picture for you guys.

where in from we have a 42' brush truck and a utility which run together E-121,U-68

Brush equipment on 121

- rakes

- 450ft forestry hose

- shovels

- water vests