Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

New NYSP Vehicle Lighting

76 posts in this topic

I seem to remember around the dutchess area seeing one or two of the state police mustangs, but i swear seeing one that was white with red letters. i was younger, so i may be remembering incorrectly. Am I crazy, or were there any of these??

NYSP DEFINITELY Had Mustangs in the late 80's/early 90's. They had a strobe light bar on the roof. I remember one passing me on the Taconic going northbound right by Carpenter Road whilst on my way to Dutchess CC in 1991. Don't remember if Troop T had any on 84, or if they were Troop K. As far as white with red letters, back then, you may have seen Putnam Co. Sheriff, or another sheriffs department out there. If I remember correctly, DCSO has white cars with a blue and yellow stripe along the side.

Just out of curiosity, when did NYSP go to the present paint scheme from the yellow over blue scheme from the pictures from that wreck on 84 that were in another thread??

JBE.

I think the "Sunoco cars" were only used by Troop T in the early 80s. The other troops I think had the current scheme for a while before.

I remember the days of the NYSP blue and yellow Dodge Diplomat cars. That was a LONG time ago.

I remember when NYSP cars had the black and white paint scheme.

Ahhh old police car memories... like the 1968 Plymouth with the classic bubblegum machine. I remember mechanical sirens where the lights would get real dim as you laid on the siren.

I know I have some of the old NYSP pictures somewhere

post-6632-1197426123.gif

JBE.

I think the "Sunoco cars" were only used by Troop T in the early 80s. The other troops I think had the current scheme for a while before.

Here's the thing though, 84 didn't come under Troop T until 89 or 90. By then, they had the paint scheme we have today.

Hoo-Wee! That NYSP Charger is lookin' fine! Nice history lesson there too.

-Joe DA BUFF

On the topic of permitting blue lights on the rear of FD vehicles, I proposed just that at my last New York State Fire Safety Advisory board meeting, but it was suggested to me that our Volunteer Brothers & Sisters would feel that the prestige and exclusiveness of blue warning lights would somehow be diminished If blue lights were permitted on the rear of FD vehicles. I do not agree with that because I believe that every Fire Fighter & EMT, Volunteer or Career wants all of us to be as safe as we can be at the scene of emergencies. Besides, (MOST) Fire truck chauffers I have known don't drive to calls in reverse.

Blue lights would make us safer on the highway because:

1. The blue light would not be mistaken by motorists for tail lights

2. Studies have proven that the color blue is more visible to the eye than red.

This is a no brainer folks. It does not have to be a requirement. Just make it optional. It won't hurt a bit.

KE

Regardless of what the law says, many FD & EMS vehicles now have blue lights on the rear. It makes a big difference when traffic is approaching. You can see the blue long before you see the red or amber.

I know it has been discussed already, but you also have the agencies who are using blue in the front. I am in favor of this. I think it is just a matter of time before the law is again amended to permit blue in the front.

Most places with paid fire depts have red and blue lights on the police cars, Yonkers, Albany, NYPD (used to have it) thats all I can remember. When you dont have to worry about the volunteers complaining about the police having blue lights its not a problem. And no I am not attacking volunteers, just that one of the arguments AGAINST PD getting blue lights was from FASNY.

Most places with paid fire depts have red and blue lights on the police cars, Yonkers, Albany, NYPD (used to have it) thats all I can remember. When you dont have to worry about the volunteers complaining about the police having blue lights its not a problem. And no I am not attacking volunteers, just that one of the arguments AGAINST PD getting blue lights was from FASNY.

Yup. I remember reading their monthly publication and seeing more discussion about that then other things that are actually important and pertinent to firefighter safety.

This topic is for NYSP lighting so I won't rant on. I will say this - the blue in the rear is a HUGE DIFFERENCE and I would like to see it happen on all emergency vehicles.

In NYS when you approach a NYSPD car you see the blue and red lights you know you are approaching from the rear. If all agencies, PD and FD made this standard every motorist would know that. I would think that we'd all believe in "Saftey" first. Blue has been proven to be easier to see at night.

In NYS when you approach a NYSPD car you see the blue and red lights you know you are approaching from the rear. If all agencies, PD and FD made this standard every motorist would know that. I would think that we'd all believe in "Saftey" first. Blue has been proven to be easier to see at night.

Same thing goes for white/clear lights too - keep them in the front, not in the rear.

We do have blue lights on the rear of our 2 new buses. There are 2 blue lights on the rear lightbar and the upper halves of our 900 series LEDs are blue and the bottom halves are amber. Our local PDs have no problem with this. They know th reason why we have blue is the same reason why they now have blue. The NYSP in this area also seem to not have a problem with us having blue in the back.

A good amount of the new fire and EMS vehicles in this area are going with at least one blue light on the rear of their vehicles.

I will not say who, but a few of our local agencies have been testing the waters with blue in the front. I think that in some areas blue in the front will be accepted and you will see it more and more.

While they state and local PD's may not have an issue, how do you think the courts will rule in a civil case if the vehicle is involved in an MVA. or even if while stopped at an incident and someone runs into it?

Is this responsable to the taxpayers to financially put them at risk by violating NYS V&T, even if the blue lts are a good idea?