Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dutchess County Unit Numbers

58 posts in this topic

Ole, is there a particular reason the City has its own dispatch? Is it due to call volume or do they run things differently?

Going from westchester to putnam, I had to get used to it. And it is much easier in putnam. 11-2-3, Your getting and engine from brewster. Very easy and it works.

And now that the "Croft Corners Broadcast Company" relocated to North carolina - there is a LOT more available air time on BOTH agencies radios!

Hahahaha, Robby Redlights! I know you all miss him up there at City 911!

"I.E. DC911 Pleasant Valley 56-12 is reponding"

laugh.gif That's exactly what they sound like "repondin' " from station 2!!!

And now that the "Croft Corners Broadcast Company" relocated to North carolina - there is a LOT more available air time on BOTH agencies radios

laugh.gif Old radio Rob on the air.. used to call me on the radio from station 5 when I was returning from calls @ AFD to tell me my mom was at the station 'cause I forgot my lunchbox...

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the dispatchers.

blah blah blah......

time now 1527, 1443."

The list of dispatchers by ID number is on the DCDER site under communications... and just by chance 14-43 is Steve Tuttle, whom likes to fly hot air balloons into Arlington headquarters in his spare time tongue.gif

FYI -

Dutchess County 14-1 is the dispatch supervisor, not County Car 1

County car 1 is known like the other county officials, County Car 1, 2, 3, 4

----------------------------------------

Steve Tuttle is not 14-43 sorry, can't recall his number right now...Yes this is the one who does hot air balloons

---------------------------------------

East Fishkill Car 4, 7, 10, etc...

Town of Poughkeepsie operates their own frequency (800mHz trunked)

DC Sheriff - DC10, 42, etc.....

NYSP - 2K64, 2K46, etc...

Fishkill (forget if town or village) - Fishkill 607, 606, numbers in this range

Farther up north I have heard some units, like 1K37

Town of Poughkeepsie also uses car 1, 2, 3, etc.

City of Poughkeepsie also uses the car number 1, 2, 3, etc.

Village of Fishkill has a state police ID, like 7K227 they are primarily dispatched by the state police troop K but can also be dispatched by the town if a call goes to their center.

the units using 1Kxx are from the Claverack barracks in Columbia County

and just by chance 14-43 is Steve Tuttle, whom likes to fly hot air balloons into Arlington headquarters in his spare time tongue.gif

Haha, I had him for FF Survival. Didn't know he enjoyed hot air balloons. Pretty funny flying them into AFD HQ!

Its sometimes confusing when the times are close to the dispatcher ID.

"Millbrook you're in service, 1427, 1431."

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Well...Noonan was 42, I thought Steve was 43 as well.....

To be honest I am not sure why the City has their own dispacth, but I am grateful they do and I hope it does not change for at least 19 years.

And yes I miss Rob.... I have noone to argue with..........

Heck when units come into our town its easy. When when we had a major general alarm fire back in 2001 the dispatch just went on like this;

Command you are getting the following:

Derby Engines 11, 13, 14, Truck 15, Rescue 18 and 4Kilo10 (ambulance)

Seymour Engines 13, 15, Truck 14 and 4Tango7

Shelton Engine 4 and Tower 7

New Haven Engine 8 and Truck 1

Stratford Truck 1

Bridgeport Engine 6, Ladder 6, Engine-Quint 16 and their command unit

Ect. Ect. ect.

Since we do not have a numbering system in New Haven and Fairfield County we just add the town name before the unit designation and it works out decently.

That's exactly what they sound like "repondin' " from station 2!!!

Haha NO although Rich, your uncle Bill on the other hand... laugh.gif

Sullivan County is the same way

22-41 is Monticellos Ladder

39-12 is Wurtsboro's 2nd engine

And so on

wondering if its a state thing since the second numbers are the same,

11-19 is engine

41-49 is ladder

etc

Haha NO although Rich, your uncle Bill on the other hand... laugh.gif

Ya know you shouldn't talk about your dad like that... I mean I know we're cousins and all but... laugh.gif How is ole snaggletooth.. you guys are sorely missed!

Everyone holding up from the MVA?

Heck when units come into our town its easy.  When when we had a major general alarm fire back in 2001 the dispatch just went on like this;

Command you are getting the following:

Derby Engines 11, 13, 14, Truck 15, Rescue 18 and 4Kilo10 (ambulance)

Seymour Engines 13, 15, Truck 14 and 4Tango7

Shelton Engine 4 and Tower 7

New Haven Engine 8 and Truck 1

Stratford Truck 1

Bridgeport Engine 6, Ladder 6, Engine-Quint 16 and their command unit

Ect. Ect. ect.

Since we do not have a numbering system in New Haven and Fairfield County we just add the town name before the unit designation and it works out decently.

yea its way easier down here, we just say our dept name and our unit number. in Darien we have three depts and each dept has there own numbers

so it goes like this

Darien Fire Dept

each apparatus or unit starts with 4

all dfd offifcers start with 4***

and the apparatus go from 41 and up

Noroton Fire Dept

each apparatus or unit number starts wuth 3

all nfd offifcers start with 3**

and the apparatus start with 30 and up

Norotn Heights Fire Dept is the same as the other two and there numbers start with 2

the numbers for the vac start with 5

and the f.m units start with 1

Well...Noonan was 42, I thought Steve was 43 as well.....

To be honest I am not sure why the City has their own dispacth, but I am grateful they do and I hope it does not change for at least 19 years.

And yes I miss Rob.... I have noone to argue with..........

Sorry I was wrong, Steve is 43. Good thing no lives were lost over that.

I hear Jeff dispatching for the village of Wappinger's sometimes

Who doesn't miss ol chubby cheeks

I'm sorry but if it is a Countywide system I do like the way Dutchess numbers the units. Cause then you know what dept it belongs to without having to search through memory to deeply. Here in Westchester if Engine 79 told 60 control that they were responding, I would not and do not have any idea of what vicinity that would be in. However in a city where there is only one agency on the frequency than it makes sense to number them sequentially...and you can start from 1 if you would like, or 303 in my case. But every knows when you hear Yonkers to Engine 303 or vice versa where the call might be!

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the dispatchers.

What about the unofficial emtbravo meteorologist - 14-25 ? rolleyes.gif

Edited by emt301

What about the unofficial emtbravo meteorologist - 14-25 ?  rolleyes.gif

Ohhhhhhhhh, yea, I happen to know 14-25. Haven't seen you in a while, how have you been Kyle?

As a Westchester Dispatcher I can tell you that most of us have learned which units belong to which Departments. It happens over time that you get the hang of things and remember them. Occassionally a unit comes up on the air we haven't heard in ages and look at each other and say, "Who the flock was that?" It usually occurs with Mini-Attacks and Utilities since in many cases they don't run as much.

BUT - we have a great CAD and we have a screen that shows a Run Card and lists that Department's resources.

Being a buff my whole life helps too - I know not only Westchester IDs but Putnam, Rockland, and Dutchess. So sad...... smile.gif

I would love to see us use a numbering system that is station or Department specific, but who would pay for all the fancy gold leaf to be changed?!!

While I doubt most people have thier entire couty memorized, I think everyone probably knows the nearby companies, especially if they run in together alot.

Here in Stamford we use two systems that work well. Stamford Fire uses sequential numbers, with nothing on the frint line having a double digit. There are Reserves/spares numbered E10,11 & 12 but it would be rare that they are in service as those numbers and they do not conflict.

The Other Departments are numbered similar to the way Darien does with each department having a differen leading number, but the second number is just sequential and does not mean anything, rigs must identify by type, like Engine 32, Truck 56, Tanker 78, ect. Anyone who works in the system usually knows what the units are.

I actually like numbering systems like Westchester's that are county based, if there is a lot of intercity responses. Here in Stamford that doesn't happen often, so there are rarely conflicts. A year ago during the Canal St Fire, we did have Greenwich E51 & Noroton Heights T20 at Stamford Station 2, but we dont have any units with either of those numbers (Although Springdale used to have an E51). Greenwich E8 was at Stamford Station 3 & Stamford E8 was at the scene, but that is the only time I can think of a potential conflict. That too would be rare as Stamford E8 is a reserve and Greenwich E8 responds in an area bordered by Turn of River & Long Ridge, not Stamford.

I don't see much difference in a two part system and a three part system. It seems to me that 11-22 would be the same as 11-2-2. But all the numberical systems are confusing to those outside of the system. If I hear Engine 63 or Engine 303, I known they are Engines. If I hear 11-4-5 or 23-16 The best I can hope for is knowing the county, or maybe the department.

Good thing no lives were lost over that.

Oh damn that's iceworld right there tongue.gif

Ambulance providers are:

81 - Alamo

82 - Beacon Volunteer

83 - Used to be Sloper-Willen I believe

84 - Northern Dutchess

85 - TransCare (Town of Wappinger)

Any second number from:

1-6 is a chief officer

7-8 EMS Officer

So, would Alamo's Chief of Operations be 81-1 or 81-7?

Would a VAC Captain be 82-7 and not 82-1?

I pity the poor dyslexic ones up there who think a boat is coming for their EMS calls!!! blink.gif

So, would Alamo's Chief of Operations be 81-1 or 81-7?

Would a VAC Captain be 82-7 and not 82-1?

I pity the poor dyslexic ones up there who think a boat is coming for their EMS calls!!!    blink.gif

Well, that is where I can imagine some confusion.

Alamo's GM I guess would be technically 81-1, but it is highly unlikely he'd ever come on as that. More likely you'd hear the Duty Supervisor as 81-9 at a large scale event or 81-89 when acting as a Medic.

BVAC's Captain (top rank) is 82-1.

A fire and EMS agency, such as East Fishkill or Pleasant Valley would have 39-8 or 56-8 as their EMS chief or rescue captain, respectively.

In Arlington or Lagrange, 32-8 and 32-7 and 47-8 are career EMS directors. Our EMS captain is 32-C7 technically, but he's a low profile kinda guy.

wondering if its a state thing since the second numbers are the same

If you go out to the Island, the numbering system is Battalion based. I'm not quite sure how they do it.

I liked the way Putnam and Dutchess did it. If you knew the numbers, you knew who you were getting.

I think Ulster Co. has the same/a similar numbering system as Dutchess. I know Milton's department number is the same as East Fishkill in Dutchess, 39.

Also, when I have heard Highland running mutual aid to the City of Poughkeepsie (standby during fires), I hear 31-20 on the air.

Ulster County is similar in the fact that the 1st 2 #'s are the department #, however there is no control of the 3rd & 4th #'s.

ie. Wallkill 64-25 is a heavy rescue

Walker Valley 63-25 is a tanker

Like Long Island Orange County also numbers via battalion.

3 digit # with the first being your battalion.

ie. OC Batt. 2 includes:

Coldenham

Maybrook

Montgomery

Pine Bush

Walden

Bullville

OC Airport

Coldenham apparatus is 200-208

Maybrook 209-218

Montgomery 219-225

Pine Bush 226-235

Walden 236-246

Bullville 247-255

OC Airport 260

[attachmentid=2792]

Out of curiosity, why start at 31, instead of 1 or at least 11? Is there some historical reason?

The original committee wanted to avoid 1-24 as these are military times. They also avoided 30,40,50. etc. I have attached a most recent radio plan that has the numbering system in it.

Radio_Procedure_Manual_rev.pdf_4_20_07.pdf

Has anyone ever tried daily radio bingo? Issue dated bingo cards with all these numbers on it and try to get a full line of numbers before the day is out.

I can see it now, EMTBravo prizes for the first person to get a "Bingo"!

tongue.gif

[attachmentid=2792]

The original committee wanted to avoid 1-24 as these are military times. They also avoided 30,40,50. etc. I have attached a most recent radio plan that has the numbering system in it.

Pretty comprehensive policies. I like the idea that you tell people right up front not to make unncessary transmissions and that they won't be answered.

Thanks for sharing it!

DCJPells Jeff,

Thanks for sharing the Dutchess Radio Plan , very interesting.

biggrin.gif