Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spike2231

Lachmont Names New Paid Chief, 12 Vol. Quit & Sue

44 posts in this topic

well it seems to have been done the larchmont village names a paid fire chief at the board meeting tonite 5-16-07

will take effect after the holiday

more imfo to come i'm sure

good luck to all involved i hope it works out for the people of larchmont

it was bound to happen

good luck to the new chief and the fellow brothers in larchmont

Best of luck to the new Chief!

And congrats to the Larchmont FD on a big step forward toward the future.

Yeah, Best of Luck guys! Just out of curiousity, is this an appointed position or will it be a Civil Service one. Does the new Chief have to take a NYS Chief's Exam? If it's an appointed position, it really means jack$hit in the real world. Don't mean to be a pessimist but a fact is a fact. Trust Me on this one!!! Good Luck anyway boyz!

So, who is it?

Rich Heine was named Chief of Department

does anyone have any answers for longshanks questions?

Sorry to hear this. Watch out Harrison and Rye!

God forbid such a horrible thing would happen wink.gif

Let me make something clear to prevent this thread from going downhill.

This forum is here so that the regional Emergency Services personel has an online COMMUNITY to discuss issues, share ideas, make contacts, share information, and so much more.

There is NO reason for egos, or hostility. There's no reason to make this thread into a battle. If that's what you're looking for, then find another forum. Threads will get heated, but members are reminded to be respectful to one another, even if they disagree. There will be people who disagree with you...acknowledge that, and try to respond in a persuasive manner.

Please keep all posts positive and constructive. One liners will not be tolerated, please make your posts of substance. Negativity or bashing will not be tolerated, and can lead to revoking of posting privledges.

Don't forget the "Suggest Post Deletion" button, our moderators can't keep up with every thread all the time.

I'm not taking sides on this one and I firmly respect the boards decision, but I will tell you I think they should have hired from the outside, not promote from the current career ranks. This sets a bad precedent.

Why would promoting from within be a bad thing? Wouldn't it make more sense to promote someone from within who already knows the in's and out's of the department.

Why would promoting from within be a bad thing? Wouldn't it make more sense to promote someone from within who already knows the in's and out's of the department.

Good luck to Rich in his new capacity. Having spoken to a LFD brother, it is a provisional appointment pending a Civil Service test.

This decision will undoubtedly result in hurt feelings on one side and victory on the other.  Volunteers will walk and tempers will flare.  In addition, there is history of hostility in the LFD between the volunteers and career staff over the past 15 or so years.  It has been ugly at times, ask anyone........... most arguments arose out of perceived dwindling membership (volunteers) on one side, and the willingness to brainstorm ideas and make a difference (career) on the other.  I'm not taking sides on this one and I firmly respect the boards decision, but I will tell you I think they should have hired from the outside, not promote from the current career ranks.  This sets a bad precedent.  I respect Rich, have known him for many years and I'm confident of his qualifications and ability, but the board should have thought this aspect through.  Good Luck LFD - Larchmont was there 150 years ago and will be there in the future.

If people walk, then i think its evident what their true colors are.

Just finished a front page article on Today's Journal News that stated at least 12 Firefighters - who quit over the appointment of a paid chief - have filed suit in state supreme court against the village and new chief. A requested restraining order barring the new chief from taking his office was denied yesterday. The volunteers are saying that they don't know hows in charge and service will suffer while the village is saying the county approved the paid position and service will not suffer.

Paid fire chief sparks resignations, lawsuit in Larchmont

By BRUCE GOLDING

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: May 19, 2007)

LARCHMONT - A rash of resignations by volunteer firefighters over the village board's appointment of a paid fire chief has put the village in serious danger, a former chief warned last night.

Nine high-ranking volunteer firefighters yesterday sued the village board and new Chief Richard Heine to cancel his appointment on grounds it violated village law.

The board voted 5-0 this week to name Heine to the newly created, $115,000-a-year post and to replace volunteer Chief Christopher MacDonald, who is one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

"We feel there is a grave risk to both the residents and to our membership because of the complete and utter chaos of not knowing who is in charge," said lead plaintiff James Sweeney, a 30-year volunteer and former chief. "We're basically living alarm to alarm, and we don't know what the membership is."

Mayor Elizabeth Feld said public safety was not endangered and that a crew of volunteers and paid firefighters handled at least two calls yesterday.

"We have a fire chief, it's Rich Heine, and we have a full complement of career professionals who have served the village, along with the volunteers, very effectively for many years," Feld said. "I am confident that we can continue to provide the level of emergency-services protection that our residents have always had."

Heine said "all calls for service will be answered," but declined to comment further.

Feld said seven volunteers publicly quit during an emotional village board meeting Wednesday.

Sweeney said several other volunteers resigned afterward, for a total of as many as 12. They all gave 30 days' notice, he said.

Sweeney said there were about 30 active volunteers; Feld put the number at 21 to 25. The 1.1-square-mile village, with a population about 7,000, has 15 paid firefighters, including Heine.

Heine's appointment capped several weeks of public wrangling over the future of the village Fire Department. In April, the volunteers elected Thomas Broderick to succeed MacDonald as chief, but the village board declined to approve Broderick as chief.

Also in April, the Larchmont Fire Council, a governing board of volunteers, unveiled a study that recommended consolidating fire services with the neighboring town of Mamaroneck as a way to save money and speed response times.

"We diligently tried to reach a compromise with the village board," Sweeney said. "We exhausted every avenue we possibly had to educate them to the issues that are out there, and unfortunately they chose not to even take them into consideration."

He described the volunteers as "completely demoralized, and we don't have an end in sight here."

Feld said hiring a paid chief had been under consideration for more than 20 years, and was recommended in a 1996 study.

She said she hoped the volunteers who quit would "reconsider and work with Chief Heine and the village board to make the improvements to the department that everybody agrees need to be made."

Yesterday's lawsuit, filed in state Supreme Court in White Plains, was reviewed by Justice Richard B. Liebowitz, who denied an application by the volunteers for a temporary restraining order to bar Heine from serving as chief.

In accompanying legal papers, the volunteers' lawyer, Katherine Zalantis of White Plains, contended that there was "no provision in law for the Village Board to appoint a chief" who wasn't elected by the volunteers and that Heine's appointment had created a "two-headed monster."

"This brings back memories of situations in New York City more than a decade ago when police and fire fighters were confused over who had authority at certain emergencies resulting (in) potential indecision in an emergency," Zalantis wrote. "Hopefully this would never happen in Larchmont, but the catalyst for such an occurrence is there while this issue remains in flux and there are two 'chiefs.' "

The village's labor lawyer, Vincent Toomey of Lake Success, N.Y., said he was confident the village board would win in court because "a very specific provision of village law allows them to appoint a paid chief."

Toomey also said Westchester Civil Service officials had certified the position of paid fire chief and agreed to Heine's appointment.

Village Attorney James Staudt called the volunteers' lawsuit "unusual for Larchmont" and said fighting it would be a waste of taxpayers' money.

"Traditionally in Larchmont, when people's position doesn't prevail in a policy debate, we respect the process and move on," he said.

Reach Bruce Golding at bgolding@lohud.com or 914-694-5012.

Lots of flux in Larchmont huh.gif

While i don't see the suit going anywhere, i think its clear who's in charge - the new chief and i really don't see how that hinders emergency response. Maybe im missing something? I think whatever public resignation/quitting that occurred doesn't do anyone well. It's kind of childish if you ask me.

Edited by 66Alpha1

I agree. The walkout is disgusting and selfish. Do the volunteers really care about the community they serve, or their power and egos? Is it the loss of power that is the problem? Why is this bad?

Wouldn't staying on, seeing how things work, and trying to reach a comfortable comprimise be a better and more rational solution?

I've heard some are using the old copout "union vs. volunteer", and that's just plain ridiculous. How are they demoralized? Don't they have career firefighters? Shouldn't professional firefighters have professional leadership? (Professional as meaning your occupation)

BTW, isn't Larchmont a wealthy community, filled with very significant and valuable hazards?

can someone fill me in on larchmont? like why the even need a paid force when they are only a 1.1-square-mile village, with a population about 7,000 people? I'm not bashing anyone who works in the town, I just dont understand.

can someone fill me in on larchmont? like why the even need a paid force when they are only a  1.1-square-mile village, with a population about 7,000 people?  I'm not bashing anyone who works in the town, I just dont understand.

If I understand right, it's only a paid chief.

Mike

BTW, isn't Larchmont a wealthy community, filled with very significant and valuable hazards?

Last time I checked, all life and property have the same value in the eyes of Emergency Responders.

They tried it twice... A little FYI

But if it ever happened again I'm not going anywhere I love what I do too much.

Edited by HFD750

If the majority of the people (democracy!) thought that this was what was needed in the Village of Larchmont, then that is what counts. There are a number of volunteer fire dept. in Westchester County that could use this mindset...meaning that if you can't handle your territory it is time to open your eyes to the future. We are no longer in the days of the "bucket brigades", training is expensive, takes time, and most people in these small communities juggle so much in their busy lives that they cannot take the time out to volunteer for the fire service anymore. I was a volunteer EMT for a long time, now it is just not feasible for me and that makes me understand this situation a lot more...I would like to get involved again, but just don't have the time. The fact that these 12 or so volunteers resigned and filed a lawsuit does not show that they care at all for the people they serve that decided this was in the best interest of the Community! They are the persons jeopardizing the response time and amount of manpower available, not the new paid chief. I wish the Chief best of luck in managing this "crisis". I would like to see a day when paid personnel and volunteer personnel will be able to work together for the COMMON GOOD!

BTW Peekskill seems to get along very well, Way to go guys!

If I understand right, it's only a paid chief.

Mike

Your misunderstood. The Village of Larchmont employs 15 career firefighters and now has replaced the volunteer chief position with a paid one.

Need is something independent of the size of the municipality. I'm sure at one point Larchmont sufficed with a volunteer department, but the demands of modern society don't exactly gel with the notion of volunteering. If the staffing/response is lacking you have to look outside.

I'd like to say the volunteers and career guy's in Harrison get along well also. We train together all the time. Our Training officer is a career guy and we work very well together. We just had a confined space entry and entry rescue class held at our firehouse with career guys from Rye also everyone got along and had a great time. Just like most of you said...Ego's put them aside and get the job done. It can be done.

Dino

Just a little more:

I would rather have a paid chief...then as a volunteer my job would be to plainly fight the red beast. As well, if there are any problems, it is his job to handle them. And, he can deal with all the politics!

Seems like a relief...just a thought!

Just a little more:

I would rather have a paid chief...then as a volunteer my job would be to plainly fight the red beast.  As well, if there are any problems, it is his job to handle them.  And, he can deal with all the politics! 

Seems like a relief...just a thought!

Your entitle to your opinion... But why can't a volunteer chief to a good job? I deal with politics all the time,not easy by no means but I do it. As far as problems if one should arise it's delt with paid or volunteer. I understand what your saying I guess I'm just a little offended. But thats what this forum is hear for right? to express our issues and opinions,whether we agree or disagree.

Edited by HFD750

I don't think Oswego was insinuating that a volunteer chief couldn't do a good job. In some cases they can, in some cases they cannot. When your an all volunteer department its one thing. When, your combined you have a whole new set of obligations. If i understand the situation correctly, it seems that there have been a number of things, on the agency level, that have been mismanaged or not address by the volunteer leadership. When you have a systemic failure from administration to administration its probably time to change.

I don't think Oswego was insinuating that a volunteer chief couldn't do a good job. In some cases they can, in some cases they cannot. When your an all volunteer department its one thing. When, your combined you have a whole new set of obligations. If i understand the situation correctly, it seems that there have been a number of things, on the agency level, that have been mismanaged or not address by the volunteer leadership. When you have a systemic failure from administration to administration its probably time to change.

You make an excellent point...I'm sure that was not his intention.

Your entitle to your opinion... But why can't a volunteer chief to a good job? I deal with politics all the time,not easy by no means but I do it. As far as problems if one should arise it's delt with paid or volunteer. I understand what your saying I guess I'm just a little offended. But thats what this forum is hear for right? to express our issues and opinions,whether we agree or disagree.

Yeah, not trying to insult...just saying that if I had the choice I would rather be paid and have to deal with all the bull-hit! Just makes it a little easier to deal with when you get a paycheck ya know. Most volunteer chiefs do a great job, but some don't have any idea how to play politics and end up pissing more people off in the end...especially when you have to yell at or suspend your friends who you volunteer with!

Yeah, not trying to insult...just saying that if I had the choice I would rather be paid and have to deal with all the bull-hit!  Just makes it a little easier to deal with when you get a paycheck ya know.  Most volunteer chiefs do a great job, but some don't have any idea how to play politics and end up pissing more people off in the end...especially when you have to yell at or suspend your friends who you volunteer with!

I understand,We've talked in the past I may have jumped the gun.You make good points. I know exactly what your saying... It's not easy. But being a volunteer chief in a combo dept you have to understand where I'm coming from.I'm just proud of my guys and girls and thankfull that we all,paid and volunteer get along. I mean don't get me wrong we all have our issue but we seem to be able to work through them. Knock on wood... cool.gif

Edited by HFD750

In my opinion , a small combination department with a rather small number of career staff (under 20) should spend their money more wisely. I think that a Lt. in charge per shift is more than enough. Spend the money on equipment or wherever it is really needed. In the case of a fully career department with say 50 or more career staff, I would agree with it.

congrats again to the CAREER brothers in the area. As for the vols that quite "oh well" theres alway the village of mamaroneck!